Injury Report: 2024-25 Sharks/Barracuda health: Celebrini placed on IR

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We wanted Gushchin back in the line up and the monkey's paw answered.
Eklund is the last guy in that lineup that I'd want out for Gushchin lol

But Eklund looks like a game-time decision. I'm guessing that it's likely that Eklund plays and Gushchin sits again. I just don't see why Kostin has continued to get opportunities. He has played like crap save for some limited bursts. He maybe puts two shifts together each game where he looks good and then nothing.

Last edited:

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
This is why I was pretty confident Gush was going to get his 30-40 game chance to prove it. Hell, Bords might even get his chance too, once healthy, although who knows how the org sees the overlap between those two.

Reactions: Sandisfan

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
This is why I was pretty confident Gush was going to get his 30-40 game chance to prove it. Hell, Bords might even get his chance too, once healthy, although who knows how the org sees the overlap between those two.
While it's certainly nice to have lots of competent options for the bottom six for the first time in years, there are some developmental challenges that this poses because those are the spots where young guys (who aren't at a certain level of prospect/pedigree, like Celebrini and Smith) are likely to get their chances.

With those spots pretty much spoken for, at least for the time being, I feel like we as fans are going to have to deal with being simultaneously frustrated (because of course we want to see what kids can do because there's at least a chance they're part of a brighter future) and happy (because we like seeing the team compete the way they have so far this season).

Lots of mixed emotions and I can't imagine I'm the only one feeling this way. But of course having Celebrini and Eklund out injured is that last way I'd want to see others get their chances, dammit.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I like the Smith and Wennberg switch. Honestly the way Goodrow and Kunin are playing they are far more likely to drive play and create space than Zetterlund and Kostin. Now they might not read Smith’s passes or finish the chances he creates but at least it might allow some possession and Ozone time for Smith.

Reactions: Hodge

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I like the Smith and Wennberg switch. Honestly the way Goodrow and Kunin are playing they are far more likely to drive play and create space than Zetterlund and Kostin. Now they might not read Smith’s passes or finish the chances he creates but at least it might allow some possession and Ozone time for Smith.
As long as Smith gets legitimate ice time and the coach trust him, I'm happy.

Edit, whether he's earned the trust is not my point. There is no point to giving him 10 mins. Send him down or give it a shot.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Honestly at this point, I'm almost ready for Smith to get time centering Goodrow and Kunin for about 10 games worth just so we can see how spectacularly bad an idea it is and then people will stop suggesting it as a good idea.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Honestly at this point, I'm almost ready for Smith to get time centering Goodrow and Kunin for about 10 games worth just so we can see how spectacularly bad an idea it is and then people will stop suggesting it as a good idea.
I think Smith needs an experienced center playing on his wing to help him with the defensive responsibilities at this point in his career. This is especially true on the road where the other team has last change. I suspect once Celebrini starts playing, Smith will be attached to Granlund again.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don’t hate the idea. Let him work on his defensive responsibilities so he’s not pushing himself too hard to make offense happen. In the meantime the game will slow down for him with less responsibility. It won’t lead to much by way of scoring but it’ll let the pace slow down enough where he can process things more quickly.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I don’t hate the idea. Let him work on his defensive responsibilities so he’s not pushing himself too hard to make offense happen. In the meantime the game will slow down for him with less responsibility. It won’t lead to much by way of scoring but it’ll let the pace slow down enough where he can process things more quickly.
I want Smith to work on his offense more than his defense. He will always earn his value through his offensive contributions so that should be the number one priority because if he is incapable of contributing offensively then it doesn’t matter if he can defend. Let him focus on improving his defensive game when he is finding success with his offense.

The problem now is that he probably touched the puck maybe 3 times all game over 10 minutes. That is a problem and not helping his development. I was absolutely against having Smith centering the 3rd line to start the season because he will need skilled talented players to finish and connect his plays. I just think even more basic he needs reps touching the puck in the NHL and Zetterlund and Kostin are not capable of creating possession. I do think Granlund would help but one thing that Goodrow and Kunin have done this season is they have been able to assist the D breaking out the puck. I say let Smith get some reps touching the puck and getting a feel for the speed of the game which he won’t get chasing the puck all game. If Goodrow and Kunin destroy chances that Smith creates that’s ok. At least Smith will adjust to the speed and create chances. Right now he is spending 10 minutes a night chasing the puck.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Mukh closer to returning than Mack, Mack hasn't started skating yet. Mukh uncertain for the next road trip. To me this means Mack may also miss the next road trip, maybe returning Oct 29 vs the Kings. We'll see.

• Wow

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Mukh closer to returning than Mack, Mack hasn't started skating yet. Mukh uncertain for the next road trip. To me this means Mack may also miss the next road trip, maybe returning Oct 29 vs the Kings. We'll see.

I just want to watch him play more :(

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024

Well, crap

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012

He will be back on 10/29 because I'm going to the game on 10/28. He will then be healthy but due to the wear and tear of the season have a night off on 1/10 on the road because I can't have nice things in Utah

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Well Warf said Muk is ahead of Celebrini in terms of returning to the line up and that Mack still isn’t skating

When’s the last times have had a top tier prospect that didn’t get some kind of injury to start their careers besides eklund

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I think Smith needs an experienced center playing on his wing to help him with the defensive responsibilities at this point in his career. This is especially true on the road where the other team has last change. I suspect once Celebrini starts playing, Smith will be attached to Granlund again.

I remember game 1 they had a shot of the bench. Smith stood up, looked over to his left and saw Granlund, and then started snaking his way through a couple players to sit down next to Granlund. Smith wants and needs that mentor centerman.

It's not Goodrow. I can just imagine what he would say: "Smitty, be like me, conserve your energy enough so that the coach benches you in the third period and then when everyone is tired in overtime, he'll have to put you out there and then you'll be fresh and you can score the OT goal against Vegas!". Don't get me started on Kunin lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad