2024-25 San Diego Gulls/Tulsa Oilers

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
What have you thought about Gaucher so far?
Pretty anonymous so far. His line struggled against Toronto but perhaps not a surprise as he was centre Myatovic and Pitre in game 1 and Myatovic and Mysak in game 2 who are not exactly stellar AHL players (or even AHL level players) at this point in time. He was put with Caufield against Coachella and the line looked much better, a real wrecking ball of a line, lots of physical play, going to the top of the crease and being able to generate offense through physical play.

Sidorov saw some time with Gaucher/Caufield which I found interesting, certainly will open some space for Sidorov but a lot to ask of a AHL rookie to be the offensive playmaker on the line. I'd be interested in seeing someone like Lopina put with Gaucher/Caufield as that has the makings of a solid checking line.

While I mentioned Pitre earlier, I did think he had a couple of moments but he is not close to being physically ready for the AHL for me. Given how he typically plays, I don't see him being effective until that develops, especially as he just seems to bounce off players so far....and not in a good way. I have no idea about the situation in Flint, but it's hard to think that the AHL is a better spot for him compared to the OHL right now. Feels like it will be doing more harm then good keeping him in the AHL...but hopefully I'm wrong.

Tough game tonight against Bakersfield who are 2-0 to start the season, before a trip to Abbotsford next weekend who are 2-1 so far. In fact the Gulls don't play at home again until 2 November....starting the season with 7 road games and 1 home game, and we thought the NHL scheduling was rubbish :laugh:

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Justice for Sidorov after the missed opportunity just before as McKeown decides not to pass for the wide open Sidorov.

Turn around needs to continue for the Gulls, last season's start was so bad it meant that most of the season was irrelevant. The upcoming schedule does not help things.

Reactions: Kalv and Static

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Just finished watching the game. Great game by San Diego, much better improvement defensively and can see there was a focus on dealing with the front of the net and restricting rebound opportunities.

Sidorov was with Gaucher and Caufield the second straight game, and that line was easily the best line on the ice for the entire night for either team. They were creating chances all night, and Gaucher and Caufield just dominated physically in all three zones. They play a really responsible game, and are able to create chances through their defensive play. Can see this line doing heavy lifting for San Diego as the season goes on. Sidorov's first goal came from great play in the neutral zone by Gaucher on two occasions, he cut out a cross ice pass initially, preventing Bakersfield from changing and dumped it back in, then when Bakersfield came to skate out, he had a great hit on the defenceman and jammed the puck loose, and was able to flick it out to Caufield. Caufield tried to pass to Sidorov but couldn't find him, Caufield's shot ended up being saved and Sidorov roofed the rebound from a tight angle. Caufield was guilty of passing up probably 3 great chances in the slot to try an extra pass over the course of the game, you can see him and Gaucher were really trying to feed Sidorov. I think it's probably good for Sidorov's development to be on a line where you have to play in all three zones well too.

I know I raved about him earlier, but I was super, super impressed by Warren again. No surprise to see him on the Gulls top pairing. He's just poised with the puck, and has a really solid first pass. The amount of times he is able to release the pressure valve with a short pass to the forward to clear the zone is impressive for a 20 year old in the AHL. Stark contrast to Hinds who handles the puck like a hot potato. I know it's only a few games, but it's just all the little things he does really well that makes me think he's going to continue having success. Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him get a cup of coffee at the NHL level if he keeps this level of play up.

If you read the box score and see a -2, you'd think he wasn't very good but it just shows why +/- is a flawed stat. First goal they were basically 4v5 as Nesterenko blocked a huge slap shot and wasn't able to move for 30 seconds, Bakersfield threw one toward the top of the crease from the boards and it deflected off Heatherington, then hit Nesterneko who was out of the play and went into the net. And the 2nd goal the Regenda/Carpenter/Colangelo got way too puck focused and hounded the one puck carrier, who flipped it to the point and Carrick ripped it home. Nothing that could be done on either from a defencemen stand point.

After not really seeing the Gulls PP much in the first 3 games, it was interesting seeing them get some extended time in this one. The puck movement and shooting is very refreshing compared to Anaheim's, they aren't afraid to just rip one on net. The top unit runs with Meyer and Harkins on their opposite side as the shooters, Regenda as the net front presence and Carpenter as the playmaker with McKeown on the point. The Gulls PP goal came from Meyer cutting inside and dishing it to Harkins who ripped a great one timer from the circle, goaltender wasn't able to cover it and Meyer and Carpenter dug away and Meyer was able to get it in. The second unit runs with Colangelo and Sidorov as the shooters, Lopina as the net front presence and Nesterenko as the playmaker with Helleson at the point. They didn't get that much chance, but had a couple of decent looks. You can see Nesterenko spent some time as a centre when he was younger with how he plays that role.

Pitre actually had some decent moments on the 4th line too, created a couple of great chances in the 2nd period with his skating and being able to beat his man on the rush. But like I said the other day, just physically he's not really there yet (but credit to him, he still tries to lay the body) resulting in him getting knocked off the puck easy. He actually had a massive play in the final 3 minutes of the game which saved the game, broken play with Bakersfield having an open net and Pitre came in with a diving poke check at the last second to prevent the goal.

Clang was solid in goal too, his rebound control was iffy at times but he fought through traffic and made some big saves especially in the first period when the Gulls were under the pump.

It's going to be interesting how the defence shakes out when/if Zellweger gets sent down. I'm guessing Kinal will get sent to Tulsa which leaves you with Warren/Hinds/Zellweger/Helleson/Dionicio/Heatherington/McKeown. I'm guessing Helleson/Dionicio are going to be in a scrap for the 6th spot on defense, I'd say Dionicio has the inside track in that regard as he's a much better puck mover and would give us one puck mover per pairing then (McKeown/Zellweger/Dionicio). But you'd probably have Helleson/Dionicio/Hinds rotating at this point.

Hilarious winner.

Whole play was hilarious, from Clang suddenly remembering he should be at the top of his crease and flopping to the ice, to Bakersfield's goaltender just having a brain fade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad