Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This is the closest thing to a GDT so I'll just say it here: I wish we could have gotten a look at Celebrini in the pre-season. I have this sick feeling he's going to light us up on Saturday and start the doom spiral from the get-go.
I don't share that worry. I think it's a safe bet Celebrini will be a first liner but I don't think it's written in stone that he'll be some 90-100+ point player that will feast on us over the years. And especially this year there's an adjustment period making the jump from the NCAA to the NHL.

And f*** me Saturday cannot come soon enough, Sunday especially since I grabbed lower bowl tickets to the game in Vegas.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't share that worry. I think it's a safe bet Celebrini will be a first liner but I don't think it's written in stone that he'll be some 90-100+ point player that will feast on us over the years. And especially this year there's an adjustment period making the jump from the NCAA to the NHL.

And f*** me Saturday cannot come soon enough, Sunday especially since I grabbed lower bowl tickets to the game in Vegas.
So lame we have to wait till Saturday to watch.

I see celebrini as same tier as Carlsson…. Sharks prob fear carlsson more than we fear celebrini

Reactions: HanSolo

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
We actually started season well last year and injuries took a big toll. Never recovered from that.
If you read through gdt from last season during the win streaks they were playing a physical hard hitting brand of hockey led by Carrick and Johnston. Johnston will be scratched for trash Mcgin and Carrick is being replaced by soft Lundstrom. As usual for a Verbeek team he finds a way to go into the season with the least physical lineup in the NHL. I doubt this lineup does anything like the start of last seasons

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
So lame we have to wait till Saturday to watch.

I see celebrini as same tier as Carlsson…. Sharks prob fear carlsson more than we fear celebrini
It's absolutely maddening. And I feel for local Ducks fans cause the first home game isn't till the 16th. Like this time off after preseason is just so excessive.

And I'd agree. I think Bedard and Michkov are in that upper range where it's hard to see them as less than elite (franchise) superstar forwards. I'd hesitate to call either generational at this point. I think Celebrini and Leo are at the upper end of that next tier of guys that can be franchise defining superstars but have more need for adjustment and growth in their game to get there so their floor is an average to above average first liner.

Past them I'd probably have Fantilli, Smith and Demidov in the same general tier but I think there's bigger questions on their likelihood to hit their upside and Fantilli in particular seems a bit more of a north-south player rather than a guy that drives offensive flow compared to the others.

Not sure if I'd slot in Sennecke in that tier at this stage just yet but his single preseason game was very promising that he could be a very good first line winger.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's absolutely maddening. And I feel for local Ducks fans cause the first home game isn't till the 16th. Like this time off after preseason is just so excessive.

And I'd agree. I think Bedard and Michkov are in that upper range where it's hard to see them as less than elite (franchise) superstar forwards. I'd hesitate to call either generational at this point. I think Celebrini and Leo are at the upper end of that next tier of guys that can be franchise defining superstars but have more need for adjustment and growth in their game to get there so their floor is an average to above average first liner.

Past them I'd probably have Fantilli, Smith and Demidov in the same general tier but I think there's bigger questions on their likelihood to hit their upside and Fantilli in particular seems a bit more of a north-south player rather than a guy that drives offensive flow compared to the others.

Not sure if I'd slot in Sennecke in that tier at this stage just yet but his single preseason game was very promising that he could be a very good first line winger.

I agree with that ranking

I believe in sennecke, but he’s going to have to do some growing (muscle wise) and showing off (stats) to get put up in that group.
He’s a project, but I feel confident in the pick…. But he won’t get any love for another year or 2.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016

I don't necessarily think that he'll be a 90-100+ point player or that he'll feast on us over the years, I just have a bad feeling that he will feast on us on Saturday lol

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
With the recent goalie signings, I now have some hope that Gibson's contract could have positive value. If he plays reasonably well, his contract ($6.4M for this year and then two more) is substantially less than a guy like Ullmark who just signed 4 x $8.25 or Swayman who got an 8 year deal.

He just needs to play better which I think he still has the ability to do.

Reactions: Kalv

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
With the recent goalie signings, I now have some hope that Gibson's contract could have positive value. If he plays reasonably well, his contract ($6.4M for this year and then two more) is substantially less than a guy like Ullmark who just signed 4 x $8.25 or Swayman who got an 8 year deal.

He just needs to play better which I think he still has the ability to do.
I'm not sure why some very good NHL goaltenders re-signing on long term deals makes Gibson's contract have any sort of value.

Gibson hasn't had a good season since 18-19 season and basically the only goaltender he's clearly looked better then in the last 5 years is Miller who was 40 years old and toast at the NHL level. Gibson has basically been a replacement level (if not worse) goaltender for 5 seasons now.

I get being optimistic but there is nothing that suggests Gibson is going to turn it around anytime soon, especially as Dostal will likely be the starter for this season. Gibson is a prime buyout candidate before the start of next season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm not sure why some very good NHL goaltenders re-signing on long term deals makes Gibson's contract have any sort of value.

Gibson hasn't had a good season since 18-19 season and basically the only goaltender he's clearly looked better then in the last 5 years is Miller who was 40 years old and toast at the NHL level. Gibson has basically been a replacement level (if not worse) goaltender for 5 seasons now.

I get being optimistic but there is nothing that suggests Gibson is going to turn it around anytime soon, especially as Dostal will likely be the starter for this season. Gibson is a prime buyout candidate before the start of next season.

Gibson is signed for two more years after this season. We have no proven talent after Dostal in net, which means we have a few seasons to develop one of our prospect goalies. Hell, people forgot that Dostal's game plummeted in November last year and Gibson was there for the Ducks in Nov and Dec until Dostal could find his groove again. Dostal could have been ruined for a longer time if we didn't have Gibby to carry the load in Nov and Dec.

This past season, Gibby and Dostal had similar productions. I think the team in front of our goalies will probably determine a jump in production. Two seasons ago, we had no shutdown D-men on the roster. The following season brought in a couple of shutdown D-men (Gudas and Lyubushkin) as well as a few talented rookies (Minty, LaCombe, and Zell). Going into this season, our defensive youth got a year under them already and PK coach Thompson is gonna try something new this year.

I dunno why we have to buy Gibby out when we barely cross the salary cap floor for the past two seasons. Unless we have a few of our youths turn into superstars in next two seasons, we aren't in a need for a buy out.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Gibson is signed for two more years after this season. We have no proven talent after Dostal in net, which means we have a few seasons to develop one of our prospect goalies. Hell, people forgot that Dostal's game plummeted in November last year and Gibson was there for the Ducks in Nov and Dec until Dostal could find his groove again. Dostal could have been ruined for a longer time if we didn't have Gibby to carry the load in Nov and Dec.

This past season, Gibby and Dostal had similar productions. I think the team in front of our goalies will probably determine a jump in production. Two seasons ago, we had no shutdown D-men on the roster. The following season brought in a couple of shutdown D-men (Gudas and Lyubushkin) as well as a few talented rookies (Minty, LaCombe, and Zell). Going into this season, our defensive youth got a year under them already and PK coach Thompson is gonna try something new this year.

I dunno why we have to buy Gibby out when we barely cross the salary cap floor for the past two seasons. Unless we have a few of our youths turn into superstars in next two seasons, we aren't in a need for a buy out.
Was absolutely thinking along these lines myself. Why would they buy out Gibson and carry some additional cost for a couple years longer? They're going to be nowhere near the cap the next couple of years.

And honestly, I bet as soon as Gibson goes to better, more defensively sound team, his numbers will probably be very solid. I doubt any goalie in front of the teams Gibby and Dostal have had to play on would be able to have crazy good numbers and carry their teams.

And yeah, no goalie in the system is ready for prime time. I think we'll be able to rely on Dostal going forward for years to come, but behind him it feels pretty thin right now. In a couple of years, maybe some of the prospects will be ready.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Besides which, when Gibson only has one full year left and two playoff runs (next deadline), you could probably find someone to roll the dice on him with minimal retention, if any. And by then we'd have a better picture of the long term backup/starter situation based on how Dostal plays and the prospects progress. There's really no downside to riding it out until at least then.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Besides which, when Gibson only has one full year left and two playoff runs (next deadline), you could probably find someone to roll the dice on him with minimal retention, if any. And by then we'd have a better picture of the long term backup/starter situation based on how Dostal plays and the prospects progress. There's really no downside to riding it out until at least then.

Or just like Stella, maybe "Gibby got his groove back" while Dostal ascends and we have another Freddy-Gibby situation that nets us a better return. Also in that time, Clara also solidifies his play. Goalies are still fickle and would like to see a longer burn with all of our youth netminders.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
If you read through gdt from last season during the win streaks they were playing a physical hard hitting brand of hockey led by Carrick and Johnston. Johnston will be scratched for trash Mcgin and Carrick is being replaced by soft Lundstrom. As usual for a Verbeek team he finds a way to go into the season with the least physical lineup in the NHL. I doubt this lineup does anything like the start of last seasons
Of course you have @MMC laughing. What's so funny? You have the lineup of your dreams already dummy

• Wow
Reactions: MMC

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Of course you have @MMC laughing. What's so funny? You have the lineup of your dreams already dummy
Johnston isn’t doing anything…. Waste of space…. No one fears him, and he doesn’t do a good job policing. His skating is so awful, he rarely makes hits.

I don’t get you obsession with shit hockey players

I don’t mind physical players in bottom 6, but man Johnston sucks

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Johnston isn’t doing anything…. Waste of space…. No one fears him, and he doesn’t do a good job policing. His skating is so awful, he rarely makes hits.

I don’t get you obsession with shit hockey players

I don’t mind physical players in bottom 6, but man Johnston sucks
Again until he is replaced he is better for the 4th line than Mcginn or Leason. During the hot streak last season look at the 4th line. Johnston Carrick and Leason who had protection. Go through game day threads everyone including you were praising that line. Short memory?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Again until he is replaced he is better for the 4th line than Mcginn or Leason. During the hot streak last season look at the 4th line. Johnston Carrick and Leason who had protection. Go through game day threads everyone including you were praising that line. Short memory?
Carrick and leason were solid, havnt said anything bad about them.

Johnston is bad, I’d love to put a more physical/tougher guy on that line that isn’t mcginn/Johnston.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

Some people disagree we need an enforcer entirely, but I think most of us just want a GOOD enforcer. Johnston can fight well enough but we REALLY need our enforcer to either chip in a tiny bit of offense or be a booming hitter (ideally both).

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Some people disagree we need an enforcer entirely, but I think most of us just want a GOOD enforcer.

Problem is there aren't that many enforcers coming up through juniors anymore. I'd love to have a Chris Simon type, I'd even spend a high pick on one, but they just aren't out there to be had. Gotta adapt your team to what's available in the talent pool.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Some people disagree we need an enforcer entirely, but I think most of us just want a GOOD enforcer. Johnston can fight well enough but we REALLY need our enforcer to either chip in a tiny bit of offense or be a booming hitter (ideally both).
I agree with most of this, except the bolded. Sure Johnston fights, but most of his fights are draws at best. If he consistently kicked peoples asses, I would accept subpar hockey skills to a degree. That would be an actual deterrent. Johnston is barely a deterrent. I think everyone here but one guy sees that.

I'm 100% behind a guy like you're describing though.

Reactions: Beckett

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Problem is there aren't that many enforcers coming up through juniors anymore. I'd love to have a Chris Simon type, I'd even spend a high pick on one, but they just aren't out there to be had. Gotta adapt your team to what's available in the talent pool.
Hoping K. Smith can develop into a 3rd pairing enforcer.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Or can PK like Des did.

Hopefully Solberg doesn't end up our only fighter in the future. We need a 4th line forward that we won't miss for 5 minutes that can drop the gloves. With our depth on D (and specifically LD), I wonder if Ducks may try K. Smith as a defensive forward. He could be a tough guy to move from in front of the net, if he can hit and learn to PK he could be effective as a 4th line forward (in theory, not sure how difficult it is to switch from D to forward... I've never played high level sports).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad