Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I think its very fair to say the improvement needs to come from within for this team to take a step. Stamkos would have helped the PP yes, but I think we only truly see this rebuild come to an end if the guys currently in the room are able to improve as our scouts believe they will.

We are so lucky to have the financial flexibility we do, as once we see this team start to take that next step, we can take some really big FA swings if necessary, while retaining our young talent.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Verbeek had plenty of slack the first year and a half. He’s earned being questioned with his pretty consistent mismatch of words and deeds.

As far as GMBM, I remember plenty of flack over RC being the best possible rehire, with all the players wanting him back as the best choice.
I was more bothered by his beyond reasonable praise for his bargain bin pick ups as the team was clearly declining and dressing his trash as gold that would make the team better, faster, and playoff competitive. Like no one expects a GM to shit on his own acquisitions, but BM took it past the point of disingenuous.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
I was more bothered by his beyond reasonable praise for his bargain bin pick ups as the team was clearly declining and dressing his trash as gold that would make the team better, faster, and playoff competitive. Like no one expects a GM to shit on his own acquisitions, but BM took it past the point of disingenuous.
I remember being convinced that Hagelin was going to push us over the finish line

Reactions: HanSolo
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I remember being convinced that Hagelin was going to push us over the finish line
I think all he said about Hagelin was that he was fast and we needed speed since we had just barely lost to Chicago and the Finals were really fast? Maybe I’m forgetting something. But Hagelin was highly thought of as a depth player pretty much universally. Didn’t work out because he cratered, not because he was overpraised.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Hagelin was one of those guys that Murray added every year to be more like the team that we lost to in the playoffs the previous year. We lost to LA in 2014, which meant we needed to get tougher and grittier. Murray dumped Mathieu Perreault for literally nothing, if I remember correctly (we just didn't qualify him as an RFA), and replaced him with the ultra gritty Nate Thompson, and added Clayton Stoner for good measure.

We lost to Chicago in 2015, which meant we needed to get faster, so we added Carl Hagelin and Mike Santorelli. Hagelin being bad was partially bad luck, but it was also him being a bad fit for the roster. Murray needed to pick a lane, stay in it, and find guys both who fit with the roster AND who would be significant contributors.

I think Murray did a fine job as GM for a lot of his tenure. He helped build rosters that were successful for a long time. But he struggled to identify the players that would get the Ducks from very good to elite given the resources he had. Once he re-hired Carlyle, though, that was it for Murray.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Hagelin was one of those guys that Murray added every year to be more like the team that we lost to in the playoffs the previous year. We lost to LA in 2014, which meant we needed to get tougher and grittier. Murray dumped Mathieu Perreault for literally nothing, if I remember correctly (we just didn't qualify him as an RFA), and replaced him with the ultra gritty Nate Thompson, and added Clayton Stoner for good measure.

We lost to Chicago in 2015, which meant we needed to get faster, so we added Carl Hagelin and Mike Santorelli. Hagelin being bad was partially bad luck, but it was also him being a bad fit for the roster. Murray needed to pick a lane, stay in it, and find guys both who fit with the roster AND who would be significant contributors.

I think Murray did a fine job as GM for a lot of his tenure. He helped build rosters that were successful for a long time. But he struggled to identify the players that would get the Ducks from very good to elite given the resources he had. Once he re-hired Carlyle, though, that was it for Murray.

We had a good enough roster to win like five Pacific Division titles and two conference finals appearances, one under Boudreau and the other with the re-hired Carlyle. Boudreau was given talent, but always found a way to choke a 3-1 lead with home ice advantage. What that the roster's fault or Boudreau's fault all those years in the playoffs?

As for the Carlyle re-hire, I think the fans didn't like it, but the veteran players reportedly did. We went back to the Conference finals with the re-hired RC from a first round exit the previous season under Boudreau. Then without top veteran talents available the following seasons (Kesler, Eaves, Perry) and inability to coach the younger kids, RC's tenure came to an abrupt end; we became sellers for the first time after a long stretch of being playoff bound.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
We had a good enough roster to win like five Pacific Division titles and two conference finals appearances, one under Boudreau and the other with the re-hired Carlyle. Boudreau was given talent, but always found a way to choke a 3-1 lead with home ice advantage. What that the roster's fault or Boudreau's fault all those years in the playoffs?

As for the Carlyle re-hire, I think the fans didn't like it, but the veteran players reportedly did. We went back to the Conference finals with the re-hired RC from a first round exit the previous season under Boudreau. Then without top veteran talents available the following seasons (Kesler, Eaves, Perry) and inability to coach the younger kids, RC's tenure came to an abrupt end; we became sellers for the first time after a long stretch of being playoff bound.
We had one of the best teams in the league with a legitimate chance to win a Cup every year for most of a decade and people are like “this asshole said too many nice things about scrubs."

Reactions: Goose of Reason

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
I think all he said about Hagelin was that he was fast and we needed speed since we had just barely lost to Chicago and the Finals were really fast? Maybe I’m forgetting something. But Hagelin was highly thought of as a depth player pretty much universally. Didn’t work out because he cratered, not because he was overpraised.
My comment was less about what GMBM said about him and more about my weird idealization of Carl Hagelin lol

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
All im sayin

if we dont trade andy mcdonald for doug frickin weight

we win 2 more cups.
Dough Frickin Weight skated like dead weight too. He made Derek Grant look like Wayne Gretzky. I hated that trade so much. At least the Kunitz trade led to Visnovsky as Whitney from the Kunitz trade was flipped for Visnovsky. That is twice that Anaheim got a 1D from Edmonton lol, previously Pronger.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
My comment was less about what GMBM said about him and more about my weird idealization of Carl Hagelin lol
Everyone was pretty excited! I remember being bummed about giving up on Etem but I was very wrong about that in retrospect.

How dare you short change Jason Chimera like that!
Oh good lord.

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
80:44 TOI, 5A, +3. That's the stat line for Zellweger in his 10 GP during the World Championships, and equals to 3,73P/60Min.

I just wanted to leave this here and let you do with this stat whatever you want to. But I honestly think he will be a 40-point defenseman as soon as 2025-26 with some more seasoning, and I wouldn't put it past him to be a 60-point defenseman one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad