2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But passed on Buium because of, well, size
Buium is 6'0. Doubt it was really about size. That would make sense if he was 5'10.
Notice Parekh is the same size and went at #8.

If there was some factor they were concerned about, why would they be honest about it?

Don't piss off a player/agent unnecessarily, and don't tell other GMs about the attributes in prospects that matter/concern you.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
1D's dont just drop to 12/13 for no reason. As many others have said the fact that his agent was the same as CGs probably made this a non starter especially for the Flyers where I'm sure there is bad blood.
As has been stated previously the most likely reason is front office ineptitude. I think Tulsky in Carolina is the only GM with a brain

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
Way too small of a sample size to start drawing conclusions about the team, but I like setting the table before we have those discussions.

team-Shot-Loc-2425-PHI-off.png

team-Shot-Loc-2425-PHI-def.png

Some minor positives like movement and in-close Shot generation on the PP, but overall one horrendous road trip. Just putrid.

Reactions: BigToe

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Buium is 6'0. Doubt it was really about size. That would make sense if he was 5'10.
Notice Parekh is the same size and went at #8.

If there was some factor they were concerned about, why would they be honest about it?

Don't piss off a player/agent unnecessarily, and don't tell other GMs about the attributes in prospects that matter/concern you.
Briere literally said they have enough smaller defenseman and what does Parekh going at 8 have anything to do with the Flyers?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As has been stated previously the most likely reason is front office ineptitude. I think Tulsky in Carolina is the only GM with a brain
Maybe, Carolina stockpiled a lot of 2nd and 3rd rd picks starting in 2019.
15 between 2019 and 2022.
So far, none have made an impact.
Only Jarvis #13, is starting for them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Briere literally said they have enough smaller defenseman and what does Parekh going at 8 have anything to do with the Flyers?
Has to do with maybe Buium wasn't rated as highly by NHL GMs as by amateur rankings.

I think it may have come down to scarcity, puck moving offensively skilled D-men are more common as the game has become less physical, but true two way centers are really rare. A lot of centers at lower levels end up as wings in the NHL. So if you can grab a top six center who can stay at that position in the NHL, jump on him.

This is like the NFL, where some positions get premiums b/c it's hard to find top players at those spots.

I think in the NHL the rankings may be:

Two way big physical mobile D-men
Two way full sized centers
Offense first D-men
Two way wings
Offense first centers
Offense first wings
Defense first D-men
Defense first forwards

Or something like that.
If you're elite in one dimension, that compensates for being a liability in other dimensions.

Example, Thomas v Kyrou, I think St Louis overpaid Kyrou relative to Thomas, b/c Thomas is the better overall player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad