2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
bro you swagger jacked the shit outta my username :laugh:

(jk, great name bud)

It looks like everyone in here has addressed the elephant in the room already that we are desperately seeking a 1c/1d. I have two questions for the good people of this thread:

1. Is there a 1c that will be traded this year or offseason that could be possible for us?
2. if we dont use the picks for a 1c/1d trade, is there a realistic target in the top 5 that we could use our surplus of picks to trade up for?

Charlie O'Connor's article the other day after the oilers game I thought hit the nail on the head. Really hoping we can find the path to a 1c/1d but honestly I am not sure its possible given this team/coach/management thinks they can at least compete for a playoff spot.
You need a top pick to get an elite scoring center, McDavid, McKinnon, Matthews, Crosby.
But there's only 4 of these guys out of 32, and two have never won a Cup.

You don't need a top 5 pick to land a 1C, Aho, Robert Thomas, Point, JT Miller, Barzal, etc,
Florida's centers: Lundell, Bennett, Boqvist, Giles.

Same on defense, top 10 ES scorers (a number of PP1 QBs aren't top 4 D-men)
Josi (#38), Morrissey (#13), Bouchard (#10), Letang (#62), Dobson (#12), Toews (#108)
The gap between top scoring D-men and the second tier is much smaller, so if you land two guys in the top 20 you're doing fine.

Point is good scouting and "safety in numbers" can do the trick.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
You need a top pick to get an elite scoring center, McDavid, McKinnon, Matthews, Crosby.

You don't need a top 5 pick to land a 1C, Aho, Robert Thomas, Point, JT Miller, Barzal, etc,

Josi (#38), Morrissey (#13), Bouchard (#10), Letang (#62), Dobson (#12), Toews (#108)
The gap between top scoring D-men and the second tier is much smaller, so if you land two guys in the top 20 you're doing fine.

Relying on finding those levels of talent with the Flyers sack of shit scouting department.

Even with a couple of top 10 picks the best we have in 20 years is Giroux, Coots, Sanheim, and Konecny. There’s a ton of really great hockey players that have entered the NHL in the last 20 years. Just not in Philadelphia.

Good scouting. :laugh:

Reactions: BernieParent

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Let us all know when the Flyers find one of those you mentioned. New era of orange will.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Let us all know when the Flyers find one of those you mentioned. New era of orange will.

But they proudly half assed into Michkov 20 years after finding Giroux.

They said it multiple times that top talent isn’t something they find important. They will win on overwhelming depth of guys in a slightly lesser tier.

Thankfully, we again have those advisors + pro/amateur scouts to fall back on to identify that talent.

Talent like Drysdale, or seeking out Krug in the Sanheim trade :laugh:

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I'd be more confident the Flyers could draft things like a #1 PP quarterback dman outside the top five if they didn't pay to get rid of the last one they had, and then replace him by overpaying for a $5 million dollar 6th defenceman.

It's not so much it's impossible to do, it's that this team's talent evaluation is so piss poor I don't think they're suited to do anything that shrewd. They only picked up Michkov because an absolute no-brainer decision fell into their lap, none of their other moves inspire any confidence in me.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think it's dumb that they keep scratching Cates while a bunch of forwards are getting dominated. Poehling needs to play 82 games - really?

And Cates averaged 1:31 on the PK last season. I guess that time can go to Tippett.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think it's dumb that they keep scratching Cates while a bunch of forwards are getting dominated. Poehling needs to play 82 games - really?

And Cates averaged 1:31 on the PK last season. I guess that time can go to Tippett.

He was used as like their top center in a do or die game 82 last year. So in Tortorella’s mind, absolutely. :laugh:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Laughton could also sit out to get Cates back in. They were fine with scratching a C last year, so why not an A.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd be more confident the Flyers could draft things like a #1 PP quarterback dman outside the top five if they didn't pay to get rid of the last one they had, and then replace him by overpaying for a $5 million dollar 6th defenceman.

It's not so much it's impossible to do, it's that this team's talent evaluation is so piss poor I don't think they're suites to do anything that shrewd. They only picked up Michkov because an absolute no-brainer decision fell into their lap, none of their other moves inspire any confidence in me.
It didn't fall into their laps, Briere was prepared to trade up to get Michkov, but when teams shied away b/c of the Russian/3yr deal issue, he pounced.

The 1st rd picks under Flahr/Briere
York #14, Foerster #23, Gauthier #5, Michkov #7, Bonk, #22, Luchanko #13

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Some chatter about the Canucks being dissatisfied with Elias Pettersson. Weak play on his part after signing his contract which carried through the POs and it looks like into the new season. Play at ES has been unsatisfactory to the Canucks. If they were in the mood to move him would Tippett or Konecny and Frost be enough to get a deal done? Would you do it if you were Briere?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Some chatter about the Canucks being dissatisfied with Elias Pettersson. Weak play on his part after signing his contract which carried through the POs and it looks like into the new season. Play at ES has been unsatisfactory to the Canucks. If they were in the mood to move him would Tippett or Konecny and Frost be enough to get a deal done? Would you do it if you were Briere?
Do you believe the Flyers could resurrect his career?

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012

Barkov isn’t a center anymore?

Reactions: Tripod

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'd be more confident the Flyers could draft things like a #1 PP quarterback dman outside the top five if they didn't pay to get rid of the last one they had

Oh, it’s much worse than that. They did that with the only one they’ve drafted in franchise history. That’s mind-boggling to consider. Perhaps Sanheim could’ve been another, but that ship has sailed.

There’s a likely chance Ghost, Provorov, and Sanheim are 5-7th in franchise career points by defensemen at season’s end. Ghost only trails Howe, Desjardins, and Timonen in PPP, in several seasons less time.

Then, in June, the new era regime failed yet another test with flying colors.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Kind of hilarious that the Flyers don't have either Sanheim or York on the PP. Their PP production has been poor over large-ish samples, but you'd think one of them could have been OK at it on a normal team.

This lists all 14 Flyers dmen to have played 50+ PP minutes over the last 10 seasons.

Niskanen - 5.59
Angelo - 5.17
Ghost - 4.82
Zamula - 4.59
Gustafsson - 4.07
Yandle - 4
Streit - 3.03
Risto - 2.92
Provorov - 2.83
York - 2.28
Medvedev - 2.25
Sanheim - 2.18
Drysdale - 1.66
Del Zotto - 0.98

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh, it’s much worse than that. They did that with the only one they’ve drafted in franchise history. That’s mind-boggling to consider. Perhaps Sanheim could’ve been another, but that ship has sailed.

There’s a likely chance Ghost, Provorov, and Sanheim are 5-7th in franchise career points by defensemen at season’s end. Ghost only trails Howe, Desjardins, and Timonen in PPP, in several seasons less time.

Then, in June, the new era regime failed yet another test with flying colors.

"New"

• Wow
Reactions: Magua

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
It didn't fall into their laps, Briere was prepared to trade up to get Michkov, but when teams shied away b/c of the Russian/3yr deal issue, he pounced.

The 1st rd picks under Flahr/Briere
York #14, Foerster #23, Gauthier #5, Michkov #7, Bonk, #22, Luchanko #13
......Drafting Michkov was a no brainer, and like you said, it's fine Briere wanted to move up. Doesn't mean he would have, it takes 2 teams to tango. We hear every year about how top picks don't get traded.

Sorry, but I'm not giving management credit for the single good personal evaluation they have made when it was so blindingly obvious that 95% of this board was telling him to make the same decision. Nothing about that is shrewd, it's just "not even you can screw this up".

Every other evaluation they make looks poor, so until proven otherwise Michkov is the exception as opposed to the rule.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
......Drafting Michkov was a no brainer, and like you said, it's fine Briere wanted to move up. Doesn't mean he would have, it takes 2 teams to tango. We hear every year about how top picks don't get traded.

Sorry, but I'm not giving management credit for the single good personal evaluation they have made when it was so blindingly obvious that 95% of this board was telling him to make the same decision. Nothing about that is shrewd, it's just "not even you can screw this up".

Every other evaluation they make looks poor, so until proven otherwise Michkov is the exception as opposed to the rule.

By pick 3 it was increasingly obvious to everyone who watches the hockey world that MM should be taken. It is difficult to give too much credit for a thing amateur dorks could get right.

Reactions: freakydallas13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad