2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I feel like we went from " no way he sticks" to " defensively elite and won't be a liability" really fast.
806d47011f7e860aa0f685b17af667d1.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Please remember we had this discussion when they draft another Jack Berglund or Hunter McDonald.
McDonald was a 6th rd pick. Any offense you get from him (like Seeler) is a bonus.
I'm more interested in whether he can use his size and skating to be a plus defender, just has to make that first pass out of the D-zone consistently and not handle the puck like a grenade.

Berglund will be interesting to watch, dominating J20, pushing for a starting job in the SHL at 18 (started 4 of 7 games so far). Probably depends to what extend he improves his skating.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
and you got all that from a couple of pre-season games and camp? dude you shoulda totally been a scout
Thank you.
Never saw him out of position or caught up ice.
And he's smooth. Didn't make a lot of highlight reel offensive plays (though some good passes).
Looked better to me than Frost did at 20.

If Torts wants a longer look, you know he's fundamentally sound, b/c he's not Michkov.
That is, with someone like Michkov, Torts has already said he'll be patient with the defense, etc.
But I doubt he feels that way about Luchanko, who isn't an elite offensive forward.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
So the Flyers are keeping an 18 year old with underwhelming offence on the team not because he's amazing defensively, but because he's fast and unlikely to be a defensive liability? That's it? That describes like 30-40% of the forwards in any given 1st round of any given year.

Congrats, we have another Justin Williams. So glad they are foregoing CHL development for this.
To be fair if Luchanko became Williams that would actually be a good pick for 13th overall.

To also be fair if Luchanko is going to develop into Williams it's definitely not gonna be while he's on the Flyers

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
To be fair if Luchanko became Williams that would actually be a good pick for 13th overall.

To also be fair if Luchanko is going to develop into Williams it's definitely not gonna be while he's on the Flyers
Yeah, I definitely meant to type Justin Baily, and not Justin Williams. I'd also be happy if Luchanko became Justin Williams.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
They just don’t value offense. Talent. I dunno.

I watched the Danny presser. St Louis keeps being brought up.

“we don’t need those superstars” same old bullshit.

McDavid. Matthews. Bedard. Crosby. Ovechkin. Kucherov.

They better hope to hell Michkov is in that tier.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm liking the lines to start the season:

Michkov-Couturier-Konecny
Tippett-Frost-Foerster
Farabee-Luchanko-Brink
Laughton-Poehling-Hathaway
Cates/Deslauriers

York-Sanheim
Zamula-Ristolainen
Seeler-Drysdale

Ersson
Fedotov

PP1
Frost
Tippett-TK-Michkov
Drysdale

PP2
Farabee
Foerster-Brink-Luchanko
Zamula

I don't get the consternation about Luchanko.

He's getting significant minutes to start the season: 3C, PP2, and apparently will kill penalties, also.

If he does well in those significant minutes, then he's earned his roster spot.

If he looks out of place in significant minutes, then he goes back to the OHL. Easy peasy.

The big concern would be him getting buried in the lineup and receiving minimal playing time, but he doesn't exactly have a ton of competition at 3C.

So as long as he can hold his own in the NHL to the point of playing more than 8-10 minutes a night, I'll be ok with him staying.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Exaggeration much?
He's fundamentally sound and has elite speed.
So he's unlikely to be a defensive liability.
All that means if he struggles offensively, he's not a huge liability, leaking goals.

And he certainly doesn't have stone hands (now Poehling . . .) he's a good passer, his shot is undeveloped at this point.

I'd still be surprised if he sticks, I expect against real competition his inexperience will show.
But it'll resolve itself, if he's overmatched it's an easy decision.

German is pretty generic.
Is she "beer garden waitress" German?
Or Berlin underground German?

Fundamentally sound how? When has that been established? We do not know that.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
not one person could have called this... not one
Torts is basically a part of upper management here, which, given his lack of any great success as a coach in the last twenty years, is hard to understand. I don’t think he’ll ever be “fired” here, just moved up to upper management to run the organization with Briere and Jones. I think they see him as a sort of coaching philosopher king. I just think he’s a freakin’ bully with a ginormous ego.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
not one person could have called this... not one
Torts thinks that playing head games with players is the way to get them to excel. If it was such a successful tactic, why is his record so poor? He’s been run out of town his fair share of times. It’ll happen here just as it has in TB, Vancouver, NYR, and even CBJ where they refused to extend him. Leopards don’t change their spots. He’ll blow up here doing his usual head games schtick. It’s only a matter of time.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

He's never said we don't need them, he said something more to the order that we have no shot at getting them - you'd have to trade most of the team to be as bad as San Jose, Anaheim, CBJ and Chicago, and then you'd still have to have lottery luck and have the right players available that year.

The good news is we have 2nd rd picks from Anaheim and CBJ, which should be in the 30s.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts thinks that playing head games with players is the way to get them to excel. If it was such a successful tactic, why is his record so poor? He’s been run out of town his fair share of times. It’ll happen here just as it has in TB, Vancouver, NYR, and even CBJ where they refused to extend him. Leopards don’t change their spots. He’ll blow up here doing his usual head games schtick. It’s only a matter of time.
This is a myth, he's had a longer tenure, other than Vancouver, than 90% of NHL HCs.
TB 6 1/2 seasons
NYR 5 seasons
CBJ 6 seasons

Compare to say Laviolette:
NYI 2 seasons
CAR 5 seasons
PHL 5 seasons
NASH 6 seasons
WASH 3 seasons

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
He's never said we don't need them, he said something more to the order that we have no shot at getting them - you'd have to trade most of the team to be as bad as San Jose, Anaheim, CBJ and Chicago, and then you'd still have to have lottery luck and have the right players available that year.

The good news is we have 2nd rd picks from Anaheim and CBJ, which should be in the 30s.

They don’t go out of their way to ensure they don’t pick on those prime spots?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

He mentioned St Louis once.
A number of teams have won with 0 or 1 elite player, Wash, Florida, Las Vegas, Boston.
You do have to have more good and very good players, but they're easier to find than a McDavid.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Absolutely wild how, to some, this organization can do no wrong. From 100% guaranteeing there's no chance this organization would allow him to make the team, to defending it. I love this place

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's nothing to defend. Either he belongs or he doesn't. We'll see.
Doubt a few NHL games will "ruin" him.

It'll certainly make the first few games interesting.
If he can hold his on on the West Coast, they might have something special.
Because I'd expect opposing HCs to target him on the road.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is a myth, he's had a longer tenure, other than Vancouver, than 90% of NHL HCs.
TB 6 1/2 seasons
NYR 5 seasons
CBJ 6 seasons

Compare to say Laviolette:
NYI 2 seasons
CAR 5 seasons
PHL 5 seasons
NASH 6 seasons
WASH 3 seasons

It isn't a myth. It is known fact that he usually faces full blown revolt.

This is up there with you pretending he's an offensively minded coach.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He mentioned St Louis once.
A number of teams have won with 0 or 1 elite player, Wash, Florida, Las Vegas, Boston.
You do have to have more good and very good players, but they're easier to find than a McDavid.

And then you go on to list a bunch of teams with several elite players. Incredible stuff

Wait how close do you think the Flyers currently are, if so many teams have won with "0 or 1" elite players?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It isn't a myth. It is known fact that he usually faces full blown revolt.

This is up there with you pretending he's an offensively minded coach.
On what team was there a "full blown revolt?"
His biggest critic was Dubinsky, who was pissed when he was demoted to 3C at 31 and was then out of the league a year later.
He got rid of Johansen and four teams later, who was right?

Torts reputation is overblown, probably b/c he has a habit of blowing off stupid, asshole reporters - and we have a couple here who'll probably get pissed at him when he gives them that "you really didn't ask something that stupid" look.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
On what team was there a "full blown revolt?"
His biggest critic was Dubinsky, who was pissed when he was demoted to 3C at 31 and was then out of the league a year later.
He got rid of Johansen and four teams later, who was right?

Torts reputation is overblown, probably b/c he has a habit of blowing off stupid, asshole reporters - and we have a couple here who'll probably get pissed at him when he gives them that "you really didn't ask something that stupid" look.
Not a revolt, but his Vancouver stint was a disaster and multiple players from that team have gone on record with how much they dislike Torts and how abrasive he was.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Funny thing, what sank him in Vancouver was protecting his team:

What arguably hurt the Canucks most was Tortorella’s rash attempt to charge into the dressing room of the Calgary Flames on Jan. 18. He was incensed by Flames Coach Bob Hartley’s decision to put out the enforcers Brian McGrattan and Kevin Westgarth for the opening face-off.

• Haha
Reactions: trostol

Ad

Ad

Ad