2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Funny that they aren't paying JVR and Hayes yet still are in cap hell.

Oh that's right they are paying a barely #6 DMan #3 money. And a has been 3rd line money to be in your words #13 or 14. And will be paying a guy to sit in the press box rather than save that money.

They can't carry 22 skaters and 2 goalies.... so 8 D means 13 forwards.
They can carry 23 if Johansen's hit goes away and/or they use LTIR on Ellis.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I have no expectations for this team, which is why I see them between 80-95 points.
Too many things could go wrong, a lot of things could go right.
The difference is they're not paying JVR or Hayes or trading draft picks to be mediocre like the last seven years or so.

EJ is blocking no one. They'll probably carry 22, 14 forwards and 8 D-men,
Zamula is a LHD, EJ a RHD. So his issue will be Andrae.
Attard is funny, he's put up good metrics but they seem to lack confidence in him.
But that's why they have TC, to gauge if a prospect has improved enough to make a spot for him.

Deslauriers is a contract situation, if he didn't have two years left, he'd be gone.
Same with Risto, he's become a solid 3RHD but he's paid like a 3rd D-man.
Already showed you that EJ is blocking someone. So, if a LH dman gets hurt they won't insert EJ? Handeness does not matter much for your 7th dman.

How many more training camps does Attard need? They do not view him as a viable NHL level player. If they did, they would find a way to make room. Then again maybe not. Same with Ginning. Both showed enough to get a legit long look of 20+ games. They will not unless injuries.

If ND didn't have 2 years he would be gone. Really going out on a limb there. Bute he does though I know he will have trade value right?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Already showed you that EJ is blocking someone. So, if a LH dman gets hurt they won't insert EJ? Handeness does not matter much for your 7th dman.

How many more training camps does Attard need? They do not view him as a viable NHL level player. If they did, they would find a way to make room. Then again maybe not. Same with Ginning. Both showed enough to get a legit long look of 20+ games. They will not unless injuries.

If ND didn't have 2 years he would be gone. Really going out on a limb there. Bute he does though I know he will have trade value right?
If someone is injured for an extended period, they'll go on IR and recall someone from LHV.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Funny that they aren't paying JVR and Hayes yet still are in cap hell.

Oh that's right they are paying a barely #6 DMan #3 money. And a has been 3rd line money to be in your words #13 or 14. And will be paying a guy to sit in the press box rather than save that money.

They can't carry 22 skaters and 2 goalies.... so 8 D means 13 forwards.
Same issue. They're not keeping a prospect in the pressbox for an extended period.
Briere inherited a bunch of bad contracts, Risto, Ellis, Atkinson.
He took on Peterson and Johansen for draft picks. Bought out Atkinson.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
If someone is injured for an extended period, they'll go on IR and recall someone from LHV.
Thats SOP.

Same issue. They're not keeping a prospect in the pressbox for an extended period.
Briere inherited a bunch of bad contracts, Risto, Ellis, Atkinson.
He took on Peterson and Johansen for draft picks. Bought out Atkinson.
Attard and Ginning are no longer prospects.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'll be happy if Drysdale ends up like Ghost, 3rd pair, PP1 QB. That's all I expect.

Flyers don't need another bottom six or #6/#7 D-man.

They need top 6/top 4 guys.

This team needs top 6/top 4 guys, but you're happy if the highest value draft asset the Flyers might have for a decade+ turns into a 3rd pair caliber player (exactly like the one you endorsed waiving), while passing on the most skilled defender in a draft class primarily because of this 3rd pair defender, who was also matter-of-pseudo-fact the best player the Flyers could acquire for Gauthier.

Hopefully, you put some spicy brown mustard on that logical pretzel.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
List out the prospects. There you have the players who should be on the ice ahead of Deslauriers, Hathaway, Seeler, and Johnson.
The prospects you say are proof they can't draft?
But now they're better than proven NHL players like Hathaway and Seeler?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This team needs top 6/top 4 guys, but you're happy if the highest value draft asset the Flyers might have for a decade+ turns into a 3rd pair caliber player (exactly like the one you endorsed waiving), while passing on the most skilled defender in a draft class primarily because of this 3rd pair defender, who was also matter-of-pseudo-fact the best player the Flyers could acquire for Gauthier.

Hopefully, you put some spicy brown mustard on that logical pretzel.
Happy? No. I'd rather have Gauthier, but no point crying over spilled milk (or spoiled kids).

Though it's not exactly the end of the world, if there's one area where this team is deep, it is wing with 3 players who scored 2.2+ pp/60 at 5x5, plus Michkov as well as two elite defenders in Foerster and Cates, and two smurfs with offensive potential in Brink and Barkey as well as Bump on the way. It would be more painful if Gauthier had shown himself to be NHL center material.

We'll see if the 6th D-man drafted is "the most skilled defender" in the draft.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The prospects you say are proof they can't draft?
But now they're better than proven NHL players like Hathaway and Seeler?

No, my argument for years is their biggest issue overall is shit development. As evidenced by the fact that during a "rebuild," they extend players who will never contribute to the team when it's finished and don't trade them either. They then block younger players who never get a chance to learn the next level and we never get to find out if they could surprise. Taking the next step is essentially forbidden. The team refused to let itself learn about its prospects, or what their processes are yielding.

And because I know you'll want to say it: yes, players develop in the NHL. Every single NHL player ever has done development in the NHL. You learn to play in the NHL by playing in the NHL. The AHL isn't enough on its own.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Happy? No. I'd rather have Gauthier, but no point crying over spilled milk (or spoiled kids).

Though it's not exactly the end of the world, if there's one area where this team is deep, it is wing with 3 players who scored 2.2+ pp/60 at 5x5, plus Michkov as well as two elite defenders in Foerster and Cates, and two smurfs with offensive potential in Brink and Barkey as well as Bump on the way. It would be more painful if Gauthier had shown himself to be NHL center material.

We'll see if the 6th D-man drafted is "the most skilled defender" in the draft.
total points trump these phantom stats at the end of the day do they not?

If one pans out as a regular in the Flyers lineup that would be good. 2 of them several years away from any meaningful contribution if any contribution at all.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
List out the prospects. There you have the players who should be on the ice ahead of Deslauriers, Hathaway, Seeler, and Johnson.
I get what your saying and agree. However, if based on merit no one currently is beating out Seeler or GH. Both are solid. NHL level players.

Now that being said both should have been moved to see what you have in some borderline prospects.

Will never ever understand the urgency to re-sign GH. Makes zero sense on any level. Wait until the deadline see what offers you have. Not that I agree if you don't like them then re-sign him then. Or take what you can get and have a hand shake deal to return. Flyrs are the gold standard after all. GH was probably like they want to give me a 2-year ext now? Had to ask his agent why you are messing with me.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I get what your saying and agree. However, if based on merit no one currently is beating out Seeler or GH. Both are solid. NHL level players.

Now that being said both should have been moved to see what you have in some borderline prospects.

Will never ever understand the urgency to re-sign GH. Makes zero sense on any level. Wait until the deadline see what offers you have. Not that I agree if you don't like them then re-sign him then. Or take what you can get and have a hand shake deal to return. Flyrs are the gold standard after all. GH was probably like they want to give me a 2-year ext now? Had to ask his agent why you are messing with me.

Yeah, my thinking has always been they shouldnt need to be beaten out because they shouldn't be here

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Basically it's the same story here - you want to tank.
You don't dump useful NHL players unless you want to tank.

Flyers don't want to tank, they want to rebuild - the two are not synonymous.
Rebuilding means accumulating young assets (prospects, draft picks) and not expending assets to add older veteran to patch and win now.
Guys like Hathaway and Seeler are low cost, help you win and help establish a structure in which to integrate younger players.
They're not like giving JVR or Hayes big contracts.

If the Flyers had a couple top LHDs at LHV, they probably don't resign Seeler, same with Hathaway.
But when you look at the LHV prospects, none are NHL ready, none jump out at you.
They'll get opportunities during the season, but it's up to them to take advantage of them.

My bet would be on Desnoyers (22), Andrae (22), McDonald (22) followed by Rizzo (23), Avon (21), Tuomaala (21), Gendron (21). But I'm not counting on them in October, if ever.

Lycksell (25), Eklind (26), Abols (29), Attard (25), Ginning (25) are at an age when it's "do or die."

The prospects they'll make room for are players like Bonk and Luchanko.
Bump if he takes it up a notch this year. Same with Barkey.
The top picks this summer and so on.

But really, people complaining that Ginning (universally denigrated by the same people) isn't getting a chance to play full-time because they resigned Seeler? Come on, man!

Reactions: captainpaxil

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
For there being no point crying over spilled milk, there is certainly a lot of time spent sobbing about Hextall's dairy issues while watching the water pass blissfully under Fletcher's and Briere's bridge.
He's only been gone for five years, nine months, and 22 days. Sensitive people need time to heal. :nopity:

• Haha
Reactions: pit and BiggE

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
This roster isn't very hard to make on merit. The problem is that you can't make it on potential either. I like attard but zamula has consistently out played him. The only hope for risto is to hope he earns some of the money they're paying him otherwise he's a roster lock at that cap hit.
There's no cause for both dlo and Hathaway and gh is a much better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad