2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Side note it's too bad the Flyers didn't leave any roster spots open as I bet some players who get waived would be worth taking a look at.

I mean, 17 is a tough one to live up to. Simmer and Rod. Both are f***ing gamers. I'm guessing #17 is meant for gamers? Who knows with Luchanko.
Plus Holmgren as he pushed for it I heard.

Reactions: BernieParent

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I'll be happy if Drysdale ends up like Ghost, 3rd pair, PP1 QB. That's all I expect.
York, Sanheim, Bonk and a player to be named later (probably drafted this summer) as the top 4.
Drysdale, Mills, Sotheran, Andrae, McDonald bringing up the rear.

Knock Torts all you want, but name all the players who played better after they left him.
Dubois, Seth Jones, . . .
Panarin was an elite scorer in CBJ, just had better talent around him in NY.
(2.80 pp/60 his 2nd season in CBJ, then 3.28, 3.04, 2.53, 2.45, 2.86 in NY)

Karlsson the only one who comes to mind, mostly b/c he wasn't behind 2 other young centers in Vegas.

What will make or break the Flyers will be Briere's decisions over the next 12 months or so.
ROFL what!?! We had Ghost, and still could have Ghost and instead they paid assets to get rid of him and now you'll be happy if he ends up like him? After all the shit you've talked on Ghost. My god you sure are something

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think numbers mean anything, Luchanko would have to be lights out in camp to make the team.

The camp battles will be between Eklind, Abols, Lycksell, and Brink at forward

And Zamula, Andrae, Attard and Ginning on defense.

11 forwards and 5 D-men are locks for the 18 starting spots.

Flyers don't have a reason to pick up waiver wire talent, they'll have plenty of those types of players in LHV. What they might be interested in is a team like Buffalo that has surplus quality young talent.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I don't think numbers mean anything, Luchanko would have to be lights out in camp to make the team.

11 forwards and 5 D-men are locks for the 18 starting spots.

Flyers don't have a reason to pick up waiver wire talent, they'll have plenty of those types of players in LHV. What they might be interested in is a team like Buffalo that has surplus quality young talent
So you think they risk losing Zamula on waivers to have Andrae on the roster? Ginning and Attard have zero shot unless injuries. Again, you know this is a fact.

Now I can see the coach falling in love with a guy like Abols if he shows his "moxie" and plays a Torts style game. This is where the CO-GM needs to step in and make the roster decision.

Yes, they do have a reason to pick up waiver wire guys if they are better or have higher upside than what they currently have. That is what rebuilding teams do. Or do you disagree with that concept.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So you think they risk losing Zamula on waivers to have Andrae on the roster? Ginning and Attard have zero shot unless injuries. Again, you know this is a fact.

Now I can see the coach falling in love with a guy like Abols if he shows his "moxie" and plays a Torts style game. This is where the CO-GM needs to step in and make the roster decision.

Yes, they do have a reason to pick up waiver wire guys if they are better or have higher upside than what they currently have. That is what rebuilding teams do. Or do you disagree with that concept.
Very few waiver wire players have a high upside, there's a reason they're waived.
Teams pick these guys up to fill out a roster with low cost bottom pieces.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

If one of Eklund, Abols or Rizzo show that they can handle 3C, the other two go to LHV. No issue there. If Laughton goes down to LW, that creates a problem for the other wings. The Flyers should have moved out Laughton to avoid this problem. The same with Deslauriers. He's a mutt and will do nothing but get in the way of MM when he is on the ice.
Zamula makes the team because he can better handle third pair D and MM needs a real buddy around. Again stupidly signing on EJ is going to create a mess for the rest of the defense. Attard would get claimed if he were waived. How much longer does Andrae deserve to be in LHV?
The problem is that the Flyers have created their own mess here by signing/keeping around guys that are no longer NHL grade and are blocking younger more talented players from getting their proper places on the roster. So what if they blow a few games with the younger players; it helps their draft status. The only person who really wants to win here is Tortorella for the sake of his legacy which is to the detriment of the organization.

Reactions: dgaspari

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Very few waiver wire players have a high upside, there's a reason they're waived.
Teams pick these guys up to fill out a roster with low cost bottom pieces.

Notably, there is a difference between "high upside" and "higher upside than what they currently have."

I'm aware you're higher on our prospect pool than... well, just about anyone I've ever seen discuss the topic... but there almost certainly are ways for a bad team like the Flyers to cherry-pick an upside guy or two from the waiver wire.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Notably, there is a difference between "high upside" and "higher upside than what they currently have."

I'm aware you're higher on our prospect pool than... well, just about anyone I've ever seen discuss the topic... but there almost certainly are ways for a bad team like the Flyers to cherry-pick an upside guy or two from the waiver wire.
Flyers don't need another bottom six or #6/#7 D-man.

They need top 6/top 4 guys. You don't find those guys on the waiver wire unless you're incredibly lucky (and even then, they often are marinated for a year or two)

I'm not worried about waiving a 24-25 year old prospect who fails to win a job on a 90 point team.

Briere will probably make a move or two during camp that will clear roster space if there is a logjam, but more likely no one will step up and force his hand.

But if Andrae does step up, they can keep Zamula as the 7th D-man, though if they waived him it's not a slam dunk he'd be claimed.

The problem is that the Flyers have created their own mess here by signing/keeping around guys that are no longer NHL grade and are blocking younger more talented players from getting their proper places on the roster.
Deslauriers is marginal, but he's going to be #13/#14.
Johnson did a decent job last year xGF 52.92%, HDCF 58.02% as the 6th D-man, he'll be #7 this year.
They're not blocking anyone, you don't keep a legitimate prospect in the press box.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Freaking Fletcher passed on $1.8m Martinook two years ago cause he was already full up with trash like ZMac and NicD.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

They need top 6/top 4 guys. You don't find those guys on the waiver wire unless you're incredibly lucky (and even then, they often are marinated for a year or two)

I'm not worried about waiving a 24-25 year old prospect who fails to win a job on a 90 point team.

Briere will probably make a move or two during camp that will clear roster space if there is a logjam, but more likely no one will step up and force his hand.

But if Andrae does step up, they can keep Zamula as the 7th D-man, though if they waived him it's not a slam dunk he'd be claimed.

Johnson did a decent job last year xGF 52.92%, HDCF 58.02% as the 6th D-man, he'll be #7 this year.
They're not blocking anyone, you don't keep a legitimate prospect in the press box.

You keep saying that last statement and have been proven wrong time and time again.

Nicky D is not marginal he's below replacement level now. This team needs to get out of the Neanderthal era and use real NHL caliber 4th liners even in the 13th and 14th forward spots.

And I won't even entertain EJ. He was cooked before he got here. He got carried to any stat you produce from last year.

You are also expecting Drysdale and Risto to play at Walker level who happened to be probably the 2nd best defenseman on the Flyers before he was traded.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If they get average or better goalie play they're playoff competitive right now, if Hart isn't a slime, they would have had 95 points last year and made the playoffs.

They've replaced Atkinson with Michkov. Hart with Fedotov.
Replaced Walker with Drysdale/Risto.
Added Abols and Eklind and Rizzo for depth at no cost. Otherwise same team as last season.

Comes down to young players stepping up, but I think they see it as a win-win, if kids play well they make the playoffs, if they don't, they get high 1st rd pick and 6 picks in the top 40 or so.

If they were focused on making the playoffs this season, they would have upgraded Laughton at 3C, but I suspect Briere made calls but wouldn't pay the asking price, and wasn't interested in signing an older FA.

"Playoff competitive" means "average." It's not a feat. It should be the minimum baseline. That's why it's so urgently awful that they haven't managed it for years straight.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
"Playoff competitive" means "average." It's not a feat. It should be the minimum baseline. That's why it's so urgently awful that they haven't managed it for years straight.
It's amazing how many fans will be happy just to make the playoffs in a league where HALF of the teams qualify.

Please NHL do not go the NBA route with the play in tournament.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Are teams always looking to improve?

Zamula 100% gets claimed if waived. Attard will not IMO.

EJ is blocking Attard/Ginning. They are not prospects any longer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Are teams always looking to improve?

Zamula 100% gets claimed if waived. Attard will not IMO.

EJ is blocking Attard/Ginning. They are not prospects any longer
I have no expectations for this team, which is why I see them between 80-95 points.
Too many things could go wrong, a lot of things could go right.
The difference is they're not paying JVR or Hayes or trading draft picks to be mediocre like the last seven years or so.

EJ is blocking no one. They'll probably carry 22, 14 forwards and 8 D-men,
Zamula is a LHD, EJ a RHD. So his issue will be Andrae.
Attard is funny, he's put up good metrics but they seem to lack confidence in him.
But that's why they have TC, to gauge if a prospect has improved enough to make a spot for him.

Deslauriers is a contract situation, if he didn't have two years left, he'd be gone.
Same with Risto, he's become a solid 3RHD but he's paid like a 3rd D-man.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I have no expectations for this team, which is why I see them between 80-95 points.
Too many things could go wrong, a lot of things could go right.
The difference is they're not paying JVR or Hayes or trading draft picks to be mediocre like the last seven years or so.

EJ is blocking no one. They'll probably carry 22, 14 forwards and 8 D-men,
Zamula is a LHD, EJ a RHD. So his issue will be Andrae.
Attard is funny, he's put up good metrics but they seem to lack confidence in him.
But that's why they have TC, to gauge if a prospect has improved enough to make a spot for him.

Deslauriers is a contract situation, if he didn't have two years left, he'd be gone.
Same with Risto, he's become a solid 3RHD but he's paid like a 3rd D-man.
Funny that they aren't paying JVR and Hayes yet still are in cap hell.

Oh that's right they are paying a barely #6 DMan #3 money. And a has been 3rd line money to be in your words #13 or 14. And will be paying a guy to sit in the press box rather than save that money.

They can't carry 22 skaters and 2 goalies.... so 8 D means 13 forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad