2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Are you on board with the TK extension?
I prefer it to what NJ did in trading for Meier then signing him to a similar extension at the same age.
1st, 2nd and a number of young players.

I think it's better to extend your own players (TK, Sanheim) than sign/trade for veterans in a couple years b/c you have more information about your players.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I prefer it to what NJ did in trading for Meier then signing him to a similar extension at the same age.
1st, 2nd and a number of young players.

I think it's better to extend your own players (TK, Sanheim) than sign/trade for veterans in a couple years b/c you have more information about your players.
NJ is/was in a much differ spot. So, I get the logic. Bad comparison.

The Flyers are many years away from any legit contention. It was a total waste to re-sign TK to me. He will be clearly on the downside. With or without them they will be stuck in neutral. Add in Couturier and God only knows what he will look in another 2 years.

Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NJ is/was in a much differ spot. So, I get the logic. Bad comparison.

The Flyers are many years away from any legit contention. It was a total waste to re-sign TK to me. He will be clearly on the downside. With or without them they will be stuck in neutral. Add in Couturier and God only knows what he will look in another 2 years.
"Many years?" Doubt that.
They're going to have a lot of assets to make moves this summer, as well as cap room.
No UFAs, Cates, Frost, Foerster, York RFAs.

They should be competitive by 2027-28, TK's extension kicks in 2025-26 so basically no different that going out and signing a FA in a couple years. Most top FA targets are 29-30 years old, TK will be 29 in 2027 with 6 years left on his deal.

• Haha
Reactions: trostol

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
"Many years?" Doubt that.
They're going to have a lot of assets to make moves this summer, as well as cap room.
No UFAs, Cates, Frost, Foerster, York RFAs.

They should be competitive by 2027-28, TK's extension kicks in 2025-26 so basically no different that going out and signing a FA in a couple years. Most top FA targets are 29-30 years old, TK will be 29 in 2027 with 6 years left on his deal.
Yes, many years away from contention if at all. I do not trust the moves they may make. You need to give to get so what exactly are they giving? They will overpay some 2nd line free agent center and pass him off as a first line. Sounds familiar.

All these RFA will very likely overpay to keep. They will probably re-sign Laughton. I move Cates as some team may overpay.

2027/2028 is many years. I do not see them being contenders by that time. You say competitive. Is that making the playoffs?

Yes, he will be 29 with 6 years left. If they are lucky, they will contend when he has 4 years left. What will he look like then? On the downside 100%. This team and their prospects are nothing special. At all.

You have so much faith in an unproven management staff that hasn't shown shit as of yet.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If they get average or better goalie play they're playoff competitive right now, if Hart isn't a slime, they would have had 95 points last year and made the playoffs.

They've replaced Atkinson with Michkov. Hart with Fedotov.
Replaced Walker with Drysdale/Risto.
Added Abols and Eklind and Rizzo for depth at no cost. Otherwise same team as last season.

Comes down to young players stepping up, but I think they see it as a win-win, if kids play well they make the playoffs, if they don't, they get high 1st rd pick and 6 picks in the top 40 or so.

If they were focused on making the playoffs this season, they would have upgraded Laughton at 3C, but I suspect Briere made calls but wouldn't pay the asking price, and wasn't interested in signing an older FA.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
If they get average or better goalie play they're playoff competitive right now, if Hart isn't a slime, they would have had 95 points last year and made the playoffs.

They've replaced Atkinson with Michkov. Hart with Fedotov.
Replaced Walker with Drysdale/Risto.
Added Abols and Eklind and Rizzo for depth at no cost. Otherwise same team as last season.

Comes down to young players stepping up, but I think they see it as a win-win, if kids play well they make the playoffs, if they don't, they get high 1st rd pick and 6 picks in the top 40 or so.

If they were focused on making the playoffs this season, they would have upgraded Laughton at 3C, but I suspect Briere made calls but wouldn't pay the asking price, and wasn't interested in signing an older FA
if this, if that. every team can throw out that scenario. Looks like your jus giving yourself an out.

You fail to mention the if that helped the Flyers look better than they were last season. Yes, same team that got very lucky. That won't happen again.

Thier kids aint exactly kids either. Another somewhat false narrative.

The GM has said playoffs are the goal. So is he lying? No, they wouldn't have upgraded Laughton. What you fail to accept is they love him and think he is too good to part with. When you set a high bar asking price means you have no intention to trade him You know this yet still parrot they will move him. They will move him when his value will be a 6th rd pick. Then you will say good move told you they will upgrade.

6 picks top 40 and the Flyers have shown they do not know how to use said picks. Then you have to factor in the bad development. You also know they will trade some of those picks and if they don't they are many years away from any significant contribution at the NHL level.

You also act like no other teams will get better. Just the Flyers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers last 5 years: York #14, Foerster #23, Gauthier #5, Michkov #7, Bonk #22, Luchanko #13
2nd rd: Brink #34, Andrae #54, Tuomaala #46, Bjarnason #51, Berglund #51, Gill #59.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You fail to mention the if that helped the Flyers look better than they were last season. Yes, same team that got very lucky. That won't happen again.
How were they lucky? They were in the top ten in xGF% and HDCF%.
They were a flawed team, but still managed to outplay NJ with all their "elite young talent."
They had their share of injuries, traded a top 4 D-man in season, etc.

At best a marginal playoff team, in a sense, Hart was a blessing getting suspended in season, since it got them #12, had the league waited and they make the POs, maybe #18-20.

This season again a marginal playoff team, if they get solid goalie play, if not, they'll pick around #10.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
They were a flawed team, but still managed to outplay NJ with all their "elite young talent."

At best a marginal playoff team, in a sense, Hart was a blessing getting suspended in season, since it got them #12, had the league waited and they make the POs, maybe #18-20.

This season again a marginal playoff team, if they get solid goalie play, if not, they'll pick around #10.
Nobody wants a marginal playoff team. That's, at best, what they've been for 15 years now.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

They were lucky because 4 other teams shit the bed. Who gives a shit about those stats as at the end of the day they are pretty much meaningless.

Stop with the solid goalie play. It is your out for when they have a bad year.

We disagree as I think they will be at a minimum 7 games out of a playoff spot. We clearly see 2 different teams. Average D and average O at best. Goalie yes, it is a huge question mark. Sam is nothing but a NHL backup at this point who clearly cant carry the load. They will pick top 10 imo.

Flyers last 5 years: York #14, Foerster #23, Gauthier #5, Michkov #7, Bonk #22, Luchanko #13
2nd rd: Brink #34, Andrae #54, Tuomaala #46, Bjarnason #51, Berglund #51, Gill #59.
Is that supposed to be impressive? What are you trying to say?

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
How has Michkov and Tuomalaa been so far?

Michkov is as I knew he'd be, unreal, crazy high hockey IQ, 2-steps ahead of everyone on the ice. Built like a fire hydrant, bounces guys off him already at 19. Didn't see much of Tuomalaa though.

Wonder what the equivalent of Drysdale would be in TK trade.
It kind of makes me sick and uneasy if Drysdale doesn't at least pan out to a second pairing guy for a damn near sure fire 30-30-60 guy who has the potential to be more maybe, Gauthier's toolbox is meh, he doesn't have a high IQ skillset but he can shoot, could pot 40 with the Ducks, god help us.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Michkov is as I knew he'd be, unreal, crazy high hockey IQ, 2-steps ahead of everyone on the ice. Built like a fire hydrant, bounces guys off him already at 19. Didn't see much of Tuomalaa though.

It kind of makes me sick and uneasy if Drysdale doesn't at least pan out to a second pairing guy for a damn near sure fire 30-30-60 guy who has the potential to be more maybe, Gauthier's toolbox is meh, he doesn't have a high IQ skillset but he can shoot, could pot 40 with the Ducks, god help us.
Thank you for this great response. Finally Flyers have something great int heir hands. Michkov will be exciting to follow. Bummer with Tuomaala. He needs more of that killer instinct and tougher mentality. He has some speed and a good shot and always had.

Also , Drysdale vs Heinola and a or some picks to the flyers. Make it happen please. I believe Heinola will pan out, just like I thought about Luukkonen last year and when I wished that Flyers would trade Hart against him and some picks. Before the mess that is. Now it's too late, UPL is considered as one of the most promising goalies in the league. He was outstanding in some games with a pretty shitty d in front of him too.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
lol almost every team in the east played poorly..Flyers played over their head..what is more likely to happen this year...man...i want to love anything like DH and GB love flyers management

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Thank you for this great response. Finally Flyers have something great int heir hands. Michkov will be exciting to follow. Bummer with Tuomaala. He needs more of that killer instinct and tougher mentality. He has some speed and a good shot and always had.

Also , Drysdale vs Heinola and a or some picks to the flyers. Make it happen please. I believe Heinola will pan out, just like I thought about Luukkonen last year and when I wished that Flyers would trade Hart against him and some picks. Before the mess that is. Now it's too late, UPL is considered as one of the most promising goalies in the league. He was outstanding in some games with a pretty shitty d in front of him too.

I genuinely didn't watch Tuomaala play much, I think he had a goal in the 2nd game, I didn't mean he was invisible lol! I just didn't really haven't been tracking him. Michkokv is the most exciting prospect the Flyers have had since Lindros, guy is the real deal. I watched Giroux when he played in Gatineau and knew he'd be real good, but he's nowhere near the prospect Michkov is, I'd be shocked if Michkov isn't a linedriver, elite guy somehwere in the mold of a Kucherov / Kane winger type.

EDIT: his game is nothing like Kane, I just mean like his elite skill is the type that drives his line and dominates, his game has shades of Kucherov / Crosby for me.

• Love
Reactions: Svedu

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'll be happy if Drysdale ends up like Ghost, 3rd pair, PP1 QB. That's all I expect.
York, Sanheim, Bonk and a player to be named later (probably drafted this summer) as the top 4.
Drysdale, Mills, Sotheran, Andrae, McDonald bringing up the rear.

Knock Torts all you want, but name all the players who played better after they left him.
Dubois, Seth Jones, . . .
Panarin was an elite scorer in CBJ, just had better talent around him in NY.
(2.80 pp/60 his 2nd season in CBJ, then 3.28, 3.04, 2.53, 2.45, 2.86 in NY)

Karlsson the only one who comes to mind, mostly b/c he wasn't behind 2 other young centers in Vegas.

What will make or break the Flyers will be Briere's decisions over the next 12 months or so.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I'll be happy if Drysdale ends up like Ghost, 3rd pair, PP1 QB. That's all I expect.
York, Sanheim, Bonk and a player to be named later (probably drafted this summer) as the top 4.
Drysdale, Mills, Sotheran, Andrae, McDonald bringing up the rear.

Knock Torts all you want, but name all the players who played better after they left him.
Dubois, Seth Jones, . . .
Panarin was an elite scorer in CBJ, just had better talent around him in NY.
(2.80 pp/60 his 2nd season in CBJ, then 3.28, 3.04, 2.53, 2.45, 2.86 in NY)

Karlsson the only one who comes to mind, mostly b/c he wasn't behind 2 other young centers in Vegas.

What will make or break the Flyers will be Briere's decisions over the next 12 months or so.
If he ends up like Ghost that was a terrible value trade. Already giving up on JD?

So, the dman they draft in 2025 will fill the other top 4 spot along with Bonk. How long until that happens? 4 years from now? They will trade/overpay for a 2nd pair F/A who they willpass off as a #1. Se thing they will do at the center spot. At least one will happen.

How about the decisions he has made since he took over? Do they not count?

Reactions: bennysflyers16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If he ends up like Ghost that was a terrible value trade. Already giving up on JD?

So, the dman they draft in 2025 will fill the other top 4 spot along with Bonk. How long until that happens? 4 years from now? They will trade/overpay for a 2nd pair F/A who they willpass off as a #1. Se thing they will do at the center spot. At least one will happen.

How about the decisions he has made since he took over? Do they not count?
Gauither was sunk costs. They got about what Carolina got for Fox. Who's better than Gauthier.

Managed to swing (2) 1sts, (2) 2nds out of Provorov and some cap dumps (Peterson, Johansen).

CFs one good trade got them Tippett, Barkey and Edmonton's 2025 1st.

The reason they kept Seeler was as mentor for young RHDs and a placeholder until a LHD can beat him out. Zamula isn't good enough, Andrae will eventually get his shot, but I think it'll probably be a 2025 draft pick. Who'll probably start in 2027-28.

I think extending TK reduced the odds of adding a FA, other than an older center on a 3 year deal to buy time for 2024 and 2025 draft picks to mature. They'll have to extend Michkov in a few years, and they have to make decisions on York, Frost, Cates, and Drysdale.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Some guys getting new numbers, an indication of where they likely stand in Voorhees

Luchanko 17
Ginning 13
Lycksell 15

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Gauither was sunk costs. They got about what Carolina got for Fox. Who's better than Gauthier.

Managed to swing (2) 1sts, (2) 2nds out of Provorov and some cap dumps (Peterson, Johansen).

CFs one good trade got them Tippett, Barkey and Edmonton's 2025 1st.

The reason they kept Seeler was as mentor for young RHDs and a placeholder until a LHD can beat him out. Zamula isn't good enough, Andrae will eventually get his shot, but I think it'll probably be a 2025 draft pick. Who'll probably start in 2027-28.

I think extending TK reduced the odds of adding a FA, other than an older center on a 3 year deal to buy time for 2024 and 2025 draft picks to mature. They'll have to extend Michkov in a few years, and they have to make decisions on York, Frost, Cates, and Drysdale.
Not sure why your comparing Fox and Cutter. Bad comparison.

Ivan trade was solid, no issue there. One can argue they didn't get enough back for taking on 2 contract dumps with 2 years left. Not great not bad.

Stop with the they kept Seeler as a mentor nonsense. This is just your way of defending a non needed move. Guy has had 2 solid seasons now up on this pedestal as a mentor. They could have easily found a "mentor" with less term and money while collecting an asset. They like Seeler as a player. Pure and simple. He bleeds orange and black.

Extended TK has no bearing on free agency at all. They need a center. They need a top pair D. Jones has already said they will spend in free agency when they have the money

The CO-GM has made all the easy moves. Refuses to make any "hard" decisions. Takes the path of less resistance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad