2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Deslauriers is around b/c of his contract, his NMC expired so don't assume he finishes his contract here.
Johnson is on a one year deal to be the 7th D-man.
Laughton is the default 3C, who else can play center? Cates, Rizzo, ???

Risto has to show he's healthy and continue to improve under Shaw to be moved at some point, Briere ain't eating $5M for 3 years. If he plays well, look for a TDL trade or next summer when it's 2x5 with a $90+M cap.

Seeler is here to caddy the young RHDs, this year it's Drysdale, next year it could be Drysdale again or Bonk. Doubt he finishes his contract as a Flyer, but he has a role the next two years.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Deslauriers is around b/c of his contract, his NMC expired so don't assume he finishes his contract here.

Risto has to show he's healthy and continue to improve under Shaw to be moved at some point, Briere ain't eating $5M for 3 years. If he plays well, look for a TDL trade or next summer when it's 2x5 with a $90+M cap.

Seeler is here to caddy the young RHDs, this year it's Drysdale, next year it could be Drysdale again or Bonk. Doubt he finishes his contract as a Flyer, but he has a role the next two years.
My main beef is, as it is with others here, Deslauriers out lived his shelf life years ago. He simply can’t play modern hockey. DB may talk it but I don’t believe that he was in for signing this stiff. He’s a typical Torts guy. Laughton can’t play center and there are better wings on the roster or in the system. He should have been given away to any club that would take on his contract. That EJ signing has Tortorella’s finger prints all over it-have to have washed vet for culture. Andrae is better at hockey than he is. EJ is a waste of a million dollars.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
That list isn't exactly Sharp, Williams and Seidenberg.

Who exactly has been the Flyers' Verhaeghe the last decade?
Are you saying the Flyers drafting leave a lot to be desired?

There is no team trading for ND. None.

Laughton you trade for an asset then sign a stop gap center for a year. Not hard to do.

Risto hasn't continued to improve. He looks better with reduced minutes and a system that is simple. Though I am sure once the cap increases so many teams will want to use that extra money on Risto.

Seeler see Laughton above. These are simple effective moves a rebuilding team would make. Not a Flyers rebuild.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My main beef is, as it is with others here, Deslauriers out lived his shelf life years ago. He simply can’t play modern hockey. DB may talk it but I don’t believe that he was in for signing this stiff. He’s a typical Torts guy. Laughton can’t play center and there are better wings on the roster or in the system. He should have been given away to any club that would take on his contract. That EJ signing has Tortorella’s finger prints all over it-have to have washed vet for culture. Andrae is better at hockey than he is. EJ is a waste of a million dollars.
Andrae is a LHD, Johnson a RHD. Attard is the one who is blocked (but they wouldn't use him as the 7th D-man, he'll start in AHL as insurance policy for Drysdale).
Johnson has no cap implications. Would have to pay someone else in his spot.

Andrae wasn't NHL ready last year, looked better in the rookie game, he'll battle Zamula for a job in camp. They'd love to see him win out, he has far more upside.

Deslauriers had his PT cut back the second half (only played half the games, mostly due to injury, they went 7 D-men in a number of games instead of playing him). So much for being a "favorite."
He actually was much better getting limited PT.
2nd half (6:46 ATOI): xGF 52.65%, xGFrel +0.86.
His role, if any, will probably be to dress on the road against select teams (Islanders, Rangers with Rempe, etc.)

Minor quibbles, the real issue is upgrading Laughton.
Briere didn't want to pay for a FA - Duchene (33) 3x5, Stephenson (30) 5x5.6, Wennberg (30) 2x5, Roslovic (27) 1x2.8.
Note there were more wings than centers available, centers are a premium position.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Of course he is finishing his contract here, we have had more media hits about how urgently important he will be to pretend he protects Michkov, than we have gotten about Michkov

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

They were putting the "Deslauriers was Briere's idea!" bit out there long before Fletcher was fired

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Andrae is a LHD, Johnson a RHD. Attard is the one who is blocked (but they wouldn't use him as the 7th D-man, he'll start in AHL as insurance policy for Drysdale).
Johnson has no cap implications. Would have to pay someone else in his spot.

Andrae wasn't NHL ready last year, looked better in the rookie game, he'll battle Zamula for a job in camp. They'd love to see him win out, he has far more upside.

Deslauriers had his PT cut back the second half (only played half the games, mostly due to injury, they went 7 D-men in a number of games instead of playing him). So much for being a "favorite."
He actually was much better getting limited PT.
2nd half (6:46 ATOI): xGF 52.65%, xGFrel +0.86.
His role, if any, will probably be to dress on the road against select teams (Islanders, Rangers with Rempe, etc.)

Minor quibbles, the real issue is upgrading Laughton.
Briere didn't want to pay for a FA - Duchene (33) 3x5, Stephenson (30) 5x5.6, Wennberg (30) 2x5, Roslovic (27) 1x2.8.
Note there were more wings than centers available, centers are a premium position.
Insurance policy is funny. Attard or Ginning as a 7th is better than EJ. For a rebuilding team.

Flahr said Andrea was ready last season. He should be dominating these rookie games don't you think?

Having a guy play 6 minutes a night hurst the other lines. It is a waste and a joke.

Those free agents have nothing in common with Laughton. Give me the assets you get from Laughton and Jack on a 1 year deal all day. Though I bet the Jack/Torst connection would have not made that possible.

They were putting the "Deslauriers was Briere's idea!" bit out there long before Fletcher was fired
He was behind that deal I recall reading I believe.

Reactions: BernieParent

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Deslauries was Briere’s idea as much as it was his idea to be the next GM.

We’ve heard Lappy recently say (regarding MacDonald), “that’s what we like in Philly, that’s what Torts likes”. Hell, I think Danny said something along the lines of having to cater to what the Philly market wants.

It’s been made damn clear that post Hextall, this franchise will be run by a collective - with a focus on keeping the Flyer “identity”.

Briere doesn’t run shit. There were GM’s that refused the Flyer job I believe no?

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

We’ve heard Lappy recently say (regarding MacDonald), “that’s what we like in Philly, that’s what Torts likes”. Hell, I think Danny said something along the lines of having to cater to what the Philly market wants.

It’s been made damn clear that post Hextall, this franchise will be run by a collective - with a focus on keeping the Flyer “identity”.

Briere doesn’t run shit. There were GM’s that refused the Flyer job I believe no?
It all starts with ownership and they care more about the stadium than they do about the hockey team.

As long as a minimum amount of tix are sold, merch bought and tv ratings achieved, they don’t give a f***.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Believe it was the President job.

It all starts with ownership and they care more about the stadium than they do about the hockey team.

As long as a minimum amount of tix are sold, merch bought and tv ratings achieved, they don’t give a f***.
Comcast has to realize at some point the people they leave alone to run the hockey side are incompetent. Only then is there a chance for change. They let those guys run the show.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

he was hired because he tows the line.... hell he was told Torts was staying

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Where would Sami fit in the roster anyway? They already have MM, TK, OT, TF and BB to play RW.

It's more than a little silly that there are virtually no roster spots available.

Johnson was an unnecessary signing. Even without him, they're full on regulars.

Up front, Deslauriers is not an NHL-calibre player. He is 100% blocking a roster spot, and given the talk that he is "Michkov's best friend", he's not going anywhere.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I’m no fan of Johnson or Nic D, but one thing this team does have is a bunch of RH wingers who are better top 9 material than Tuomaala.

Farabee-Couturier-TK
Tippett-Frost-Michkov
Foerster-Laughton-Brink
Cates-Poehling-Hathaway
Deslauriers

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I’m no fan of Johnson or Nic D, but one thing this team does have is a bunch of RH wingers who are better top 9 material than Tuomaala.

Farabee-Couturier-TK
Tippett-Frost-Michkov
Foerster-Laughton-Brink
Cates-Poehling-Hathaway
Deslauriers

I do wonder if Tuomaala would be on par or better than Brink. It would be nice to find out.

Is Brink waiver-exempt?

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Farabee-Couturier-TK
Tippett-Frost-Michkov
Foerster-Laughton-Brink
Cates-Poehling-Hathaway
Deslauriers

Yep. It's almost like trading TK at the deadline would have been a benefit to the team, freeing up a RW slot and securing a big pile of assets to help with our wretched depth at every other position.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Yep. It's almost like trading TK at the deadline would have been a benefit to the team, freeing up a RW slot and securing a big pile of assets to help with our wretched depth at every other position.
Gee what a smart move that would of been. But you're also talking about the front office that didn't trade Seeler or Laughton. As well as the front office who resigned Hathaway before needing to. Smart is not their long suit

Reactions: BlackandOrange

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Brink has a much higher ceiling and a better chance to get there
Apples and oranges.

Brink is a playmaker, he's improved to "average speed" but still needs to get stronger b/c he lacks the speed and quickness of the top smurf forwards. Hopefully, he's worked on that this summer. Barkey is in the same boat. It's not about winning battles, it's about not getting knocked around when you go to dirty areas.

Tuomaala is a speedster with a good shot, but lacks vision and playmaking skills. He needs another year in the AHL b/c his future is bottom six so he's going to have to be an effective forechecker who can capitalize on opportunities. If he can learn to kill penalties that would be a plus.

Don't see either of these guys playing ahead of Michkov, Tippett, TK, Farabee or Foerster.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

Farabee-Couturier-TK
Tippett-Frost-Michkov
Foerster-Laughton-Brink
Cates-Poehling-Hathaway
Deslauriers

This is the lineup I'd like to see, really curious how Frost will mesh with Michkov, I feel like they'll find instant chemistry.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't know if TK gets you a "big pile of assets."

DeBrincat got Kubalik (28), 1st (top 10 protected) and 4th from Detroit.
DeBrincat got 1st, 2nd, 4th from Ottawa
Horvat got Beauvillier (26), 1st (top 12 protected)
Fiala got 1st, Faber from LA (Faber was 2nd rd pick, 2 year college player)
Reinhart got 1st, Levi from FLA

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I don't know if TK gets you a "big pile of assets."

DeBrincat got Kubalik (28), 1st (top 10 protected) and 4th from Detroit.
DeBrincat got 1st, 2nd, 4th from Ottawa
Horvat got Beauvillier (26), 1st (top 12 protected)
Fiala got 1st, Faber from LA (Faber was 2nd rd pick, 2 year college player)
Reinhart got 1st, Levi from FLA
Are you on board with the TK extension?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad