2024-25 Roster…too soon?

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Ok. I am throwing this out there again.

-Levshunov at 2
-Trade TB first and TOR first to OTT for 7th. OTT has to give up a first in 25 or 26. This gives them more flexibility when choosing so that they do not miss a draft with a first-round pick.
-Draft Lindstrom, Iginla, or Catton in that order
-Chicago keeps their own first next year
I don’t know if 20 this year and a late first round next year gets 7. It might but Hawks may still have to add.

Reactions: hockeydoug

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
I don’t know if 20 this year and a late first round next year gets 7. It might but Hawks may still have to add.
The Blackhawks would definitely need to add and I would be willing to dump 2 of our 2024 2nds to make it happen but I doubt Ottawa would even entertain it

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
The Blackhawks would definitely need to add and I would be willing to dump 2 of our 2024 2nds to make it happen but I doubt Ottawa would even entertain it
I feel like the timing of this rebuild would make sense to move up with that second first round pick this year. If they can hang onto next years Chicago-First then that gives them a chance at Hagens or a top ten pick depending on the standings.

But a core of:

Bedard
KK
Vlasic
Nazar
Rinzel
Moore
Levshunov
Iginla

Would be nice.

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
I feel like the timing of this rebuild would make sense to move up with that second first round pick this year. If they can hang onto next years Chicago-First then that gives them a chance at Hagens or a top ten pick depending on the standings.

But a core of:

Bedard
KK
Vlasic
Nazar
Rinzel
Moore
Levshunov
Iginla

Would be nice.
if we some how walked out of this draft with 2 of Buium/Levshunov and Iginla/Catton/Lindstrom I dont care if they made a single pick rest of the draft..that would be like the Bears getting Williams/Odunze

Reactions: Pez68

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Hawks 2025 1st should be off the table in any trade. This team will be more competitive, but they still should finish around 4-6 and hope that the lottery gods will bless us again. They need to be in the hunt for Hagens, Hensler, Frondell, and Martone
100% should not even be an option unless San Jose is willing to give up #1 I wouldn't include it in any trade

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
High end options UFA RFA or Possible Movement

Marner
Necas
Marchessault
Keller
B Tkachuk
Kadri
Kane
Stamkos
Konecny
Pavelski
Batherson
Duchene
Ehlers
W Karlsson

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If Carolina gets swept, they’re gonna get itchy to make changes.

Id be all over Necas and Teuvo. Neither should be exorbitantly expensive.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If Carolina gets swept, they’re gonna get itchy to make changes.

Id be all over Necas and Teuvo. Neither should be exorbitantly expensive.
Teuvo is a ufa. I know cause chgo was talking of the dream of bringing him back for months.

There's all this paying Rod B pay talk. He better have a better presser than saying, we weren't really swept because the games were all close if he wants that price

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I have come around that best solution in short term at RW since Kane likely wont ever be back is Teravainen as UFA

Trade Reichel 20th and Vancouver 2nd (or whatever that trade may take) for RFA Necas signed 8x8

On what f***ing planet is Necas worth that package and an 8x8 contract?

8M x 8 years for a 40-50 pt winger is insane

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I have come around that best solution in short term at RW since Kane likely wont ever be back is Teravainen as UFA

It’s time to correct the mistake Stan made all those years ago.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No trading picks 2nd round or higher until the Playoffs. One of those hardline rules that never fails as much as people will always try and craft scenarios to make it not so.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I mean if you have the opportunity to bring in an established 25 or younger player (Top 6 forward or top 4 D) that can be a part of the team for the next 8 years any pick besides our own first round picks should be on the table. Building a team through trades with draft capital is also a thing.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022

What contract do you think Necas is going to sign for? Maybe your right a million or half a million too high? Pretending hes a 40 point winger cmon.

I have seen his contract compared to Troy Terry who signed 7x7 last year. Maybe thats closer. Cap is going up. Owen Tippett just got 6.2 for 8. Hagel got 6.5 for 8. Timo Meier got 8x8.8.

That package isnt anything special. If Necas is available you will have to beat out 15-20 other teams. Nobody worth while becomes available as a UFA anymore. Its time to package assets to get better.

Hes probably a 25-30 goal 65-75 point guy moving forward. Hes on the puck, bigger than what we have, and fast. With Bedard who knows what he puts up.

EvolvingWild projects Necas at 8.8 for 8

Last edited:
Reactions: HawksDub89

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
No trading picks 2nd round or higher until the Playoffs. One of those hardline rules that never fails as much as people will always try and craft scenarios to make it not so.
Quality over quantity after this 2nd overall pick.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Quality of quantity after this 2nd overall pick.
If your scouts are banging on the table to trade up for someone in particular, go ahead and do so, but I wouldn't do it just to do it. Hawks still need like 500 different roles to get filled long-term and that's where quantity comes into play since the draft get tricky after 10-15 picks in most years.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
If your scouts are banging on the table to trade up for someone in particular, go ahead and do so, but I wouldn't do it just to do it. Hawks still need like 500 different roles to get filled long-term and that's where quantity comes into play since the draft get tricky after 10-15 picks in most years.
Agreed it has to be worth it. Dont trade a second for a fill in player but as part of a package for sure. Thats why we have all of these picks.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Had three second round picks last year, three more this year, I think its worth it still. Obviously its based on who its for.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I mean if you have the opportunity to bring in an established 25 or younger player (Top 6 forward or top 4 D) that can be a part of the team for the next 8 years any pick besides our own first round picks should be on the table. Building a team through trades with draft capital is also a thing.
we were the 2nd worst team in the league. in general I feel like you should wait on trading 1sts and our 2nds till we think the next year its possible we could fight for a playoff spot. that is for sure not next year.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Tallon traded a 2nd in the Havlat deal?
Kings traded away a 2nd for Arvidsson
Devils traded a 2nd for Vanecek

etc. etc. etc.

Seems like it's not a hardline rule in gm circles.

late firsts and 2nds just aren't that valuable, especially when you have 5 or more in a draft.

You still have to slot and develop players correctly. Then you have to get over the infighting and fetishes of "their guys" when it's time to move one from drafted players. NHL front offices are notorious for overvaluing their own over outside help.

Managing a big pool of high picks efficiently is really hard, even if the talent is there. I think it's okay to get the big team playing a certain way before overfilling the pool just because. 3 picks in the top 50 per year is more than adequate.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I agree that we can't just keep making boatloads of picks. We have limited contract slots and at some point we have to utilize assets to get bonafide NHL'ers, as this roster is desperately thin in that regard.

Even if a chunk of our picks pan out (which they won't), you still need to make some moves for proven NHL talent. The biggest question is what should be the timing of those moves.

Last edited:

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Tallon traded a 2nd in the Havlat deal?
Kings traded away a 2nd for Arvidsson
Devils traded a 2nd for Vanecek

etc. etc. etc.

Seems like it's not a hardline rule in gm circles.

late firsts and 2nds just aren't that valuable, especially when you have 5 or more in a draft.

You still have to slot and develop players correctly. Then you have to get over the infighting and fetishes of "their guys" when it's time to move one from drafted players. NHL front offices are notorious for overvaluing their own over outside help.

Managing a big pool of high picks efficiently is really hard, even if the talent is there. I think it's okay to get the big team playing a certain way before overfilling the pool just because. 3 picks in the top 50 per year is more than adequate.
arvidsoon is probably going to walk as a UFA and all it did was get them good enough to bounce in the first round. being a playoff team should not be the goal. 16 teams make it. being a top 8 team in the league should be. and some home ice in the first and 2nd round.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
we were the 2nd worst team in the league. in general I feel like you should wait on trading 1sts and our 2nds till we think the next year its possible we could fight for a playoff spot. that is for sure not next year.

Yeah but the whole premise of my post is you’re making trades with those picks to bring in players that fit both the timeline and should help you years down the road. Not just next season.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
I think there needs to be a balance. I think it's important to have a strong prospect pool, but also realizing that not everyone is going to pan out or fit on the team. The Hawks are still early in this rebuild. Do I think they should be trading 1st round picks right now? No.

This team is nowhere near ready to make a big deal for a Brady Tkachuk or someone along those lines. Could it be something they consider in 2-3 years? Absolutely.

What they should be considering are deals like the Marino, Montour, and Siegenthaler trades. NJ traded a Ty Smith and a 2022 3rd for Marino, Florida traded a 2021 3rd for Montour, and NJ traded a 2021 conditional 3rd for Siengenthaler. Those were deals that weren't cost prohibitive, but also helped their new teams in the near and long term. Those were guys that were squeezed out of their respective teams for one reason or another

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If we can bring in some UFA’s this year we may not need to trade our 2nd rounders. I wouldn’t be opposed to trading one or two of them for the right deal though.

The Hawks really suck, guys. We’re very far away from being a good team and need all the help we can get. 2nd rounders have a low hit rate and we have two firsts next season too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad