2024-25 Roster…too soon?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
8x5m or 8x6m seems relatively reasonable at this stage, IMO. Especially if you factor in expansion teams, more revenue, and the cap rising over the next 4-5 years. I would do 8x6m and be done with it for the foreseeable future.

Not sure I see appeal for Vlasic here at that $

The Pippen contract is a cautionary tale for young athletes.

Reactions: Paul Allen

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Not sure I see appeal for Vlasic here at that $

The Pippen contract is a cautionary tale for young athletes.
If he improves from this past season, and you have an elite, shutdown, top-pairing D(and he's already pretty damn close to being that IMO), and you have him locked up for 8 years at 6m, you don't see the appeal in that? The whole idea of building a team in a salary capped league is to have guys on contracts that are overplaying their value. Paying a guy like that 6m, when he should be closer to 8-9m would be a huge plus for the team being able to sign more talent.

The Hawks teams during the Cup runs were able to put so much talent on the ice because you had three superstars in Toews, Keith, and Kane, that were making peanuts relative to their performance.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Time for the Hawks to bring back Patty Kane. Give Bedard some real help offensively.
taKTt1J.png

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Ton of interesting comments today. Couple things;

1) this locker room isn’t in an amazing place. To be expected when losing this much I guess
2)they wanted to see more improvement this year than they did, standings wise
3) Seth isn’t captain material (we know)
4) expect the temperature on this team to heat up next year.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I never get people having this odd animosity at Tyler Johson, he's bad now because his body is broken. The Hawks got a 2nd and less cap to take him for giving up Seabrooks contract.

That 2nd was the one they traded back to a 2024 2nd for, so not used, but TyJo was a fine cap eater.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
How about Kurashev, Kaiser and Toronto's 2025 first for Zegras, Anaheim's 2026 2nd and a prospect?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I never get people having this odd animosity at Tyler Johson, he's bad now because his body is broken. The Hawks got a 2nd and less cap to take him for giving up Seabrooks contract.

That 2nd was the one they traded back to a 2024 2nd for, so not used, but TyJo was a fine cap eater.
Johnson “was him” (as those kids would call it) his first few years in the league

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Entwistle reupped for 2 years is fine , Tyler Johnson ,,,PASS, Reece Johnson another year maybe .

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Patrick Kane is not returning to the Wings…
“It was a great year,” Kane said. “I have nothing but positive things to say about the organization, obviously the opportunity from (Red Wings general manager Steve Yzerman), and (head coach Derek Lalonde) to give me the chance to come and play, the situations I was put in, I feel like I got a lot of opportunity to play in the top six and power play, and just play with some great players. It was fun to be around the group. It was fun to be a Wing and in this organization. And I’ll definitely have some memories to last me a lifetime.”

“It’s kind of hard to say right now, because everything’s just so fresh, with the season being done and everything,” Kane said. “I think coming into this year, my decision was based on playing on a good team, a team where I thought I fit in well, obviously the comfort (of) playing with Alex (DeBrincat) again was something I was looking forward to, and really enjoyed that as well. But as the season goes on, you realize there’s a lot of good players here, there’s a lot of good players to play with, and like I said before, was put in a great situation to succeed, and play a lot of minutes and play with some good players. So I was real appreciative of that.

When asked if he expected to hit the open market on July 1st, Kane said that he'd explore his option with Detroit to see if it's still a fit. He mentioned that it's hard to say at this point if he will hit the open market and said we'll see what happens. Kane went on to say "It’s hard to really fully understand the situation. But I guess we’ll kind of see, see what happens. I’m sure my agent and Steve will have those conversations and kind of go from there.”

It sounds like that Kane hasn't completely closed the possibility of re-signing with Detroit. He still has fond memories of playing as a junior in Detroit, had only positive things to say about his experience with the Redwings and has close ties with Alex DeBrincat.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Entwistle might get re-signed too

But yeah just those guys

Zegras is a bum
Can you describe, if possible by comparing him to a Blackhawks player or two, exactly how Zegras is a "bum" in your estimation? Just as an academic exercise, would the proposed trade be viewed as plausible, or too one-sided? I remember there was some interest in Zegras on the Hawks board in his draft year, but Pat Beaker apparently doesn't like him (not dirty enough) so he is on his way out in Anaheim. Thanks in advance. I read all comments and appreciate the give-and-take. Hope all the faithful share their comments on the progress of the playoffs in the NHL thread.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Can you describe, if possible by comparing him to a Blackhawks player or two, exactly how Zegras is a "bum" in your estimation? Just as an academic exercise, would the proposed trade be viewed as plausible, or too one-sided? I remember there was some interest in Zegras on the Hawks board in his draft year, but Pat Beaker apparently doesn't like him (not dirty enough) so he is on his way out in Anaheim. Thanks in advance. I read all comments and appreciate the give-and-take. Hope all the faithful share their comments on the progress of the playoffs in the NHL thread.
I don't think Zegras is like any Blackhawks player

But he's like the Jordan Poole of hockey

He doesn't fit the identity of the team we're trying to build

Reactions: Muffinalt

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Yxerman and Friedman comments re:Kane were more telling. Sounds like PK wants term. Detroit has contracts to reup.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Blackhawks RFAs:
F - MacKenzie Entwistle (Arb Eligible)
F - Reese Johnson (Arb Eligible)
F - Joey Anderson (Arb Eligible)
F - Taylor Raddysh (Arb Eligible)
F - Cole Guttman (Arb Eligible)
F - Lukas Reichel
F - Michal Teply
D - Alex Vlasic (Arb Eligible)
D - Filip Roos (Arb Eligible)
D - Isaak Phillips
D - Louis Crevier
G - Jaxson Stauber (Arb Eligible)

I think they will qualify J. Anderson, Guttman, Reichel, Vlasic, Phillips, Crevier and Stauber

I think they will not qualify Entwistle, R. Johnson, Raddysh, Teply and Roos.

I think Raddysh could go either way. The lack of production this most recent season makes me lean towards non-qualifying and open up the spot for young guys. I still believe that he can likely end up signing a league minimum deal somewhere. Good penalty killer and it's hard to imagine his on-ice shooting percentage being this low again.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I thought the Kane stuff was dead forever but I actually would be interested in bringing him back on a 2 year deal.

Also pretty damn interested in Chandler Stephenson.

Hard pass on Kane. Big time thumbs up on Stephenson. I’d also offer Marchassault 3 years at a high AAV.

Two good forwards with winning habits that won’t kill us cap wise long term.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I’m guessing Johnson’s experience here won’t help us much with Stamkos. Which is admittedly a pipe dream anyway.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Gutman, reichel, vlasic for big club. For Rockford Anderson. Phillips, crevier stauber. Maybe a spot for entwistle or Johnson in the A if we need bodies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad