Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I don't
Z was playing #1 center first for the worst team in the league who just sold everything off. Do you think him being slightly better at defense and scoring 40 points would have been an improvement? I honestly don't even get what your point is here
Of course that wasn't the intent. Zegras put up back to back 60+ point seasons, but he was giving much of that back defensively. Certainly that second season was atrocious. The points were shiny, but they distracted from the glaring issue, which was that teams were just as likely to score when he was on the ice as he was (if not more so).

Hence the idea that the next coach had to instill some sort of defensive skill or structure that would help make him a more complete and more valuable player. The idea, I'm sure, was that the offense would still develop further but that sacrificing a little of it to improve on defense would be worthwhile. To this point, it hasn't been, although the sample size is still small due to his injury issues.

No one thought, "We're going to make Zegras into a mediocre third line winger!" They were trying to get his defense to a level where he could be relied on to play in more situations and thus would be more valuable.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I don't

Of course that wasn't the intent. Zegras put up back to back 60+ point seasons, but he was giving much of that back defensively. Certainly that second season was atrocious. The points were shiny, but they distracted from the glaring issue, which was that teams were just as likely to score when he was on the ice as he was (if not more so).

Hence the idea that the next coach had to instill some sort of defensive skill or structure that would help make him a more complete and more valuable player. The idea, I'm sure, was that the offense would still develop further but that sacrificing a little of it to improve on defense would be worthwhile. To this point, it hasn't been, although the sample size is still small due to his injury issues.

No one thought, "We're going to make Zegras into a mediocre third line winger!" They were trying to get his defense to a level where he could be relied on to play in more situations and thus would be more valuable.

I'm fine with trying to make him better. I just think, based off of Cro's coaching style, that they were too ham-fisted with their approach. Hopefully I'm absolutely completely wrong and Z figures it out this year and brings decent defense with 60+ points. I have no agenda against Z, or Cro, or Verbeek, I just want the Ducks to be the best team possible as fast as possible.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
I'm fine with trying to make him better. I just think, based off of Cro's coaching style, that they were too ham-fisted with their approach. Hopefully I'm absolutely completely wrong and Z figures it out this year and brings decent defense with 60+ points. I have no agenda against Z, or Cro, or Verbeek, I just want the Ducks to be the best team possible as fast as possible.
Based off his interviews, I actually think Cronin would agree with you that he was too ham-fisted last year.

I find it hard to believe that somebody could recognize that and make 0 changes, so we’ll have to see what happens.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Based off his interviews, I actually think Cronin would agree with you that he was too ham-fisted last year.

I find it hard to believe that somebody could recognize that and make 0 changes, so we’ll have to see what happens.

I've been encouraged by almost everything Cro has said frankly, if he is able to put into practice what he's talked about we'll be alright.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My point is that trying to improve the defensive effort of a key forward shouldn’t be seen as a negative.
Idk that anyone sees it as a negative... he def needed to make improvements in his game.

Im more worried about his confidence now, the style that they are trying to get him to play (dump and chase, which he isnt and wont ever be that type of player)

I think defensively hes taken huge strides in the right direction, but i do wonder whats the bench marks in term of offense lost that is acceptable.

If hes now a 40 point winger that has a solid 2 way game... does he even really fit here anymore? If were going that route why not try to make him into a 3c.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Idk that anyone sees it as a negative... he def needed to make improvements in his game.

Im more worried about his confidence now, the style that they are trying to get him to play (dump and chase, which he isnt and wont ever be that type of player)

I think defensively hes taken huge strides in the right direction, but i do wonder whats the bench marks in term of offense lost that is acceptable.

If hes now a 40 point winger that has a solid 2 way game... does he even really fit here anymore? If were going that route why not try to make him into a 3c.

I don't remember who said it but someone said something like: "Z will never be successful in a dump-and-chase system" and I think that's bang on.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
I've been encouraged by almost everything Cro has said frankly, if he is able to put into practice what he's talked about we'll be alright.
I think it actually sums up how I feel about Cronin. I don't fault a first time coach for having a bad year.

But if he can recognize that it was bad, point out specific things that he did that were bad, and not make any significant changes - that would be a bad coach.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't remember who said it but someone said something like: "Z will never be successful in a dump-and-chase system" and I think that's bang on.
I want to say it was @Static and they were dead on

I’m more worried about mctavish defensively…. As I thought his floor was higher…. But he’s pretty bad defensively

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad