Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I’m not seeing a crazy amount of Fowler hate besides maybe one or two posters

I just keep seeing people saying “the Fowler hate is over the top” when most of the “hate” is just basic discussion about if he fits or not on the team moving forward

He almost seems to have more stans/nutsswingers than haters at this point to me
Yes, but…most of the “the time is now” folks are the same folks who’ve been hating on him for years, because the player he is isn’t the player they want him to be.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yes, but…most of the “the time is now” folks are the same folks who’ve been hating on him for years, because the player he is isn’t the player they want him to be.
Yeah I mean I guess I can agree with that.

I just have a hard time grasping why it has become so taboo on this board to simply point out that Cam Fowler isn’t an ideal fit on this roster in 2024. IE: we need someone who plays the right side and is more defensive-oriented

I’m really appreciative of his time here and think a change will be good for both sides

Reactions: FlyingV09

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think if Edmonton had Fowler in the 2nd pairing with Nurse they'd be in good shape. Likely have to get there with 50% retention.
I'd like to see him in Edmonton, I think he'd help to really elevate that blueline and te team. I'd welcome that scenario, but i doubt Oil have the pieces to do that deal

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Imo fowler doesn’t get enough hate, people have been willing to give him passes, only recently have people started actually even noticing/criticizing him.

But often times it’s not even hate it’s criticizing or looking at the big picture, and the Fowler stans ain’t ready for the conversation yet, they want him to get his 1000 games or something.

Also I don’t recall many people saying fowler is terrible/not nhl talent or even top 4 talent…. A lot of the issues is with fit, future players showing up.

He’s prob a solid #3, good #4 on a contender but that isn’t exactly what we need and stylistically he isn’t the ideal fit. I doubt he’s moved until deadline, because it’s tough to find the right team for him where we can get value back, at that point there may be more legit options.

I'd like to see him in Edmonton, I think he'd help to really elevate that blueline and te team. I'd welcome that scenario, but i doubt Oil have the pieces to do that deal
I don’t think they have any pieces lol… their prospect pool + draft picks is pretty bare.

Detroit would be my ideal target as partners

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

I just have a hard time grasping why it has become so taboo on this board to simply point out that Cam Fowler isn’t an ideal fit on this roster in 2024. IE: we need someone who plays the right side and is more defensive-oriented

I’m really appreciative of his time here and think a change will be good for both sides
I don’t think it’s taboo at all. I do think that the crickets that emerge are telling when it’s pointed out that none of the kids have actually proven they belong above the third pairing, that their play fell off when their minutes and pairings were challenged, that some (Zellweger in particular) show significant gaps in their ability to actually play defense, that the sophomore slump is a real thing, that trading him leaves us with only 2 proven NHL caliber defensemen, and that we don’t have a single defenseman in the AHL who has any business getting called up this year.

Nobody wants to address any of that. It’s usually just a loud proclamation that the youth are ready to grow and need more minutes, never mind the fact that their defensive possession numbers last year weren’t great with sheltering and ;lower minutes, let’s pitch him because they’re ready.

I’d like to not negatively impact the progression of the youth if they are not ready, and would like to watch a more entertaining, less shit show product this year. Trading the guy who is currently the best left handed D we have should happen AFTER the kids prove they’ve actually made strides IMO, because the ones at the end of last year absolutely weren’t those players IMO.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don’t think it’s taboo at all. I do think that the crickets that emerge are telling when it’s pointed out that none of the kids have actually proven they belong above the third pairing, that their play fell off when their minutes and pairings were challenged, that some (Zellweger in particular) show significant gaps in their ability to actually play defense, that the sophomore slump is a real thing, that trading him leaves us with only 2 proven NHL caliber defensemen, and that we don’t have a single defenseman in the AHL who has any business getting called up this year.

Nobody wants to address any of that. It’s usually just a loud proclamation that the youth are ready to grow and need more minutes, never mind the fact that their defensive possession numbers last year weren’t great with sheltering and ;lower minutes, let’s pitch him because they’re ready.

I’d like to not negatively impact the progression of the youth if they are not ready, and would like to watch a more entertaining, less shit show product this year. Trading the guy who is currently the best left handed D we have should happen AFTER the kids prove they’ve actually made strides IMO, because the ones at the end of last year absolutely weren’t those players IMO.
The conversation either changes drastically or ceases once any mention of evidence is brought up.

The 'trade Fowler' contingent is a vibes-only affair.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

Totally agree he isn't a perfect fit, but the team is worse without him then with him. IDK why the Ducks would make themselves worse and rush kids into the top pairing. Especially when there is an expiration date here. He will likely be gone at the deadline.

Reactions: Static

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Totally agree he isn't a perfect fit, but the team is worse without him then with him. IDK why the Ducks would make themselves worse and rush kids into the top pairing. Especially when there is an expiration date here. He will likely be gone at the deadline.

Team is pretty bad with him…. No one has suggested ever to make a kid a top pair guy, simply spread the mins out.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Team is pretty bad with him…. No one has suggested ever to make a kid a top pair guy, simply spread the mins out.
I genuinely don't see how this is a legit argument. We are bad so f*** IT. They are trying to get better now, not worse.

Just because they wont be playing 24 minutes a night doesnt mean they wont be put in bad situations because Fowler is gone. It will still require guys to play against the other team's best players before they are ready. I would much rather Fowler get burnt by McDavid then Minty. Let the kids grow.

I'm not saying they should extend him and keep him here for another 5 years, but there is no upside to moving him now as opposed to at the deadline. Give Minty, Zell, LaCombe, and Luneau another year with that much more insulation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad