Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I know it’s just 32 thoughts…. But damn does it feel like Christmas

View attachment 905430

Gibson ain’t getting moved nor does it make sense, we need someone to be 1b with dostal for another year or 2.

But fowler get him outta here… and Fowler might be willing to go beyond his 4 teams, that’s excellent news

Question is what teams could use cam fowler?

My guess is PV realizes what I realized long ago, there is something toxic about this old core and needs to get rid of the final 2 pieces if we ever want to be relevant again

Here is an article about that podcast from Patrick Present of the THN (where Derek Lee also writes):

"Eventually, what you’ve got to start doing is saying, 'You know what, Cam, we have to start taking away some of your ice time so that these other players can learn what it’s like to start playing in these important situations,'" Friedman suggested.

Odd. You can cut back on Cam's minutes without trading him such as stop playing him on the PK or demoting him to the PP2QB. As of right now, we don't possess a known quantity d-man who's equal or better than Fowler. Why are we gifting minutes instead of meritoriously earning the minutes?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Who is going to play defense for us?

edna gif (No defense).gif

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Perhaps just me, but I haven't seen Fowler playing a whole lot of defense the past few years.
It's certainly not just you, but it is a weird phenomenon among a subset of Ducks fans where they have decided to ignore that positive impact Fowler has had on the defense throughout his career. He's not as good as he once was, but he's fine back there.

Reactions: Kalv and Beckett

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
It's certainly not just you, but it is a weird phenomenon among a subset of Ducks fans where they have decided to ignore that positive impact Fowler has had on the defense throughout his career. He's not as good as he once was, but he's fine back there.
He still moves the puck well and can skate, but is miscast in the role he's been given lately. Not entirely his fault, but this discussion should be what is best for the Duck franchise. He shouldn't be taking down 25 minutes a night, isn't effective on the PK, and looks disinterested out there sometimes.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Meh, Fowler probably won’t be traded until the 2026 trade deadline with 50% retention, when he will waive to go to any playoff team.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
The Dumoulin trade makes a lot more sense if the plan has been to move Fowler for awhile now.

My conspiracy theory is that Detroit wants him, but they have to sign Raymond and Seider before committing to a deal. They were also apparently going to acquire Trouba before he nixed it. Fowler fills a similar role, albeit on the left side.

Reactions: GermanRocket7

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
He still moves the puck well and can skate, but is miscast in the role he's been given lately. Not entirely his fault, but this discussion should be what is best for the Duck franchise. He shouldn't be taking down 25 minutes a night, isn't effective on the PK, and looks disinterested out there sometimes.
I agree that he's miscast as an all-situations minute-muncher. But I think he's very easily been the Ducks' best option for that role in the absence of Lindholm (and Lindholm wasn't really the guy for that role either - the Ducks' defense was at its best when those two were sharing that role).

The "looks disinterested" is a weird take to me. I've never seen anything from him to indicate that he's given anything less than his best throughout his career. He plays conservatively and carefully, but that's not the same as disinterested. That's just his style.

Reactions: Yemeth and DavidBL

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I agree that he's miscast as an all-situations minute-muncher. But I think he's very easily been the Ducks' best option for that role in the absence of Lindholm (and Lindholm wasn't really the guy for that role either - the Ducks' defense was at its best when those two were sharing that role).

The "looks disinterested" is a weird take to me. I've never seen anything from him to indicate that he's given anything less than his best throughout his career. He plays conservatively and carefully, but that's not the same as disinterested. That's just his style.
This season there was a time where there was like 20 seconds left on the clock and instead of going for another rush, Fowler just ate the clock up and basically called game. I get that the ducks weren’t coming back and winning but that’s just such a crappy thing to do.

I’m sure Fowler will thrive on a better team but he’s obviously checked out in Anaheim.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Those Duck fans also ignore a lot of context. Fowler is an OFD, not a DFD. Fowler works best with a DFD. Fowler is also a 2nd pairing D-man, not a first pairing D-man. Also, there are some fans who don't like facts b/c agendas and lack of substance purports specific agendas.

Fowler
SeasonGamesGAPts+/-PairingComments
2019-20
59​
9​
20​
29​
0​
2nd
2020-21
56​
5​
18​
23​
-4​
1st/2ndLindholm played 18 games
2021-22
76​
9​
33​
42​
-9​
2nd/1stCareer high in pts; Manson missing 17 games/62 games
2022-23
82​
10​
38​
48​
-23​
1stCareer high in pts
2023-24
81​
5​
34​
39​
-36​
1stBabysitting youths

We've been rebuilding since the 2018-19 TDL. Anaheim was 4 points out of 3rd in the Pacific at the 2021-22 TDL.

It seems like the +/- went to the rails once Verbeek took over in the past two and 1/2 years. In 2022-23, Verbeek made Fowler a full-time, 1st pairing D-man and gave the defense a shit roster after jettisoning 1st pairing Lindholm and 2nd pairing Manson at the 2021-22 TDL. Last year, we were rotating rookies (Luneau, LaCombe, and Zellweger) with Fowler on the first pairing, helping to shelter the lower pairings. Once Gudas' minutes on the ice started to trickle up, then Gudas became fatigued on the ice too soon and often. Gudas cannot play Fowler's role.

What is surprising was that Eakins helped Fowler find his offense to make new career highs in back-to-back seasons. Fowler had not hit 40 points since his rookie year, which was 11 years prior to hitting 42 points in 2021-22.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I'd wager if Fowler was actually traded to Det Chiarot is probably coming back.
He has a 10 team no trade list. Maatta would almost certainly be involved.

I'll be pretty pissed if we move fowler only to try and replace him internally. When exactly are we going to add real NHL talent?
I legitimately think that’s what the Dumoulin trade was for. He isn’t as good of an all-around dman as Fowler, but he’s solid defensively and on the PK, which is what we need more of right now to complement the young offensive dmen.

Reactions: Deuce22

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He has a 10 team no trade list. Maatta would almost certainly be involved.

I legitimately think that’s what the Dumoulin trade was for. He isn’t as good of an all-around dman as Fowler, but he’s solid defensively and on the PK, which is what we need more of right now to complement the young offensive dmen.
I was disappointed in just adding dumoulin to this d-core as it is. If you're telling me his intention wasn't just as a mediocre talent infusion but to downgrade from Fowler to him I'd say we are screwed.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I guess Verbeek is already thinking about drafting McQueen or Martone. Maybe they are really high on RD Hensler or Trethewey and think they will go top 5.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Those Duck fans also ignore a lot of context. Fowler is an OFD, not a DFD. Fowler works best with a DFD. Fowler is also a 2nd pairing D-man, not a first pairing D-man. Also, there are some fans who don't like facts b/c agendas and lack of substance purports specific agendas.

Fowler
SeasonGamesGAPts+/-PairingComments
2019-20
59​
9​
20​
29​
0​
2nd
2020-21
56​
5​
18​
23​
-4​
1st/2ndLindholm played 18 games
2021-22
76​
9​
33​
42​
-9​
2nd/1stCareer high in pts; Manson missing 17 games/62 games
2022-23
82​
10​
38​
48​
-23​
1stCareer high in pts
2023-24
81​
5​
34​
39​
-36​
1stBabysitting youths

We've been rebuilding since the 2018-19 TDL. Anaheim was 4 points out of 3rd in the Pacific at the 2021-22 TDL.

It seems like the +/- went to the rails once Verbeek took over in the past two and 1/2 years. In 2022-23, Verbeek made Fowler a full-time, 1st pairing D-man and gave the defense a shit roster after jettisoning 1st pairing Lindholm and 2nd pairing Manson at the 2021-22 TDL. Last year, we were rotating rookies (Luneau, LaCombe, and Zellweger) with Fowler on the first pairing, helping to shelter the lower pairings. Once Gudas' minutes on the ice started to trickle up, then Gudas became fatigued on the ice too soon and often. Gudas cannot play Fowler's role.

What is surprising was that Eakins helped Fowler find his offense to make new career highs in back-to-back seasons. Fowler had not hit 40 points since his rookie year, which was 11 years prior to hitting 42 points in 2021-22.
Absolutely spot on. He's a puck mover that isn't fit for the role that's he's been given. What I was objecting to was that our DEFENSE would take a hit if Fowler was traded. If anything, the Ducks offense would suffer a bit. A -36 is a poor job of babysitting.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
It doesnt have to be either/or. Losing Fowler still takes away from the roster with who to replace him? Vaak?

Instead of playing one guy 25 minutes and the other two 17-18 minutes, you have three LDs (some combination of Mintyukov, LaCombe, Zellweger, Dumolin, and Vaakanainen) playing 20 minutes each. But this is all jumping the gun since as of right now, Fowler is still on the roster, and other than Friedman, there have been no rumors to suggest otherwise.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Can’t wait for us to trade Fowler and all the Fowler haters realize we suck even more without him and he’s actually an important part of our D
I cant wait for us to trade fowler and the team starts turning ship... and all the fowler lovers get real quiet and dont talk about us being right all along.

It doesnt have to be either/or. Losing Fowler still takes away from the roster with who to replace him? Vaak?
Vaaks, Lacombe.... dumo... potentially someone coming in from the trade.

Plenty of options.

Absolutely spot on. He's a puck mover that isn't fit for the role that's he's been given. What I was objecting to was that our DEFENSE would take a hit if Fowler was traded. If anything, the Ducks offense would suffer a bit. A -36 is a poor job of babysitting.
Meh id bet on zellweger/Mintyukov bringing enough offense to not miss fowler much.... hell even lacombe has some untapped offensive upside that he may get to show more in this scenario.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
I cant wait for us to trade fowler and the team starts turning ship... and all the fowler lovers get real quiet and dont talk about us being right all along.

Vaaks, Lacombe.... dumo... potentially someone coming in from the trade.

Plenty of options.

Meh id bet on zellweger/Mintyukov bringing enough offense to not miss fowler much.... hell even lacombe has some untapped offensive upside that he may get to show more in this scenario.
Lol, the team will turn ship eventually regardless. A Fowler departure would not speed that up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad