Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
It's a 3rd now and probably a 2nd or 3rd at the TDL. And there's nothing wrong with adding a veteran D to a group of teenagers. Savvy move by SJ and I don't see any downside for them.
Yes but this is one of the only times a team will ever have as much leverage as San Jose had. How many teams had the cap space and the willingness to add a player like Ceci? On top of that, usually if you want to wait out a team, it takes months, but all SJ had to do was wait a week to see how much Edmonton could offer. I have a very hard time believing another team would have done the same deal that the Sharks made, especially with a team in the same division. They got more for taking Walman than they did for taking Ceci.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yes but this is one of the only times a team will ever have as much leverage as San Jose had. How many teams had the cap space and the willingness to add a player like Ceci? On top of that, usually if you want to wait out a team, it takes months, but all SJ had to do was wait a week to see how much Edmonton could offer. I have a very hard time believing another team would have done the same deal that the Sharks made, especially with a team in the same division. They got more for taking Walman than they did for taking Ceci.
Well, either SJ was the only bidder or they felt like getting a 2nd/3rd or 2 3rds was worth it. I have to assume Verbeek was in on Ceci but maybe he stood firm on a 1st or a 2nd in return. Who knows? I just don't see the downside for SJ though. At the end of the day they get Ceci for a year and a couple of picks. Everyone else who bid got nothing. I call that a win for SJ.

I don't know. They're still like 3.6 mill over the cap if they keep broberg and let Halloway walk.
Kane and his $5.1 million are almost 100% going on LTIR for a substantial portion of the year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My bet is San Jose. Carolina and Utah make sense, too, but they would probably have him in the AHL for a year.

San Jose should be all over askarov… goalie is their biggest org weakness right now.

They have Vegas 1st for next year…. And should be able to outbid most teams that would be interested

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Well, either SJ was the only bidder or they felt like getting a 2nd/3rd or 2 3rds was worth it. I have to assume Verbeek was in on Ceci but maybe he stood firm on a 1st or a 2nd in return. Who knows? I just don't see the downside for SJ though. At the end of the day they get Ceci for a year and a couple of picks. Everyone else who bid got nothing. I call that a win for SJ.

Kane and his $5.1 million are almost 100% going on LTIR for a substantial portion of the year.
I had thought I read that he was expected to be ready for camp.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA

Any team who gets Ceci loses. He's not good.

That said, San Jose is also not good, so at least Ceci will fit in.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think Luneau is as good as Ceci right now. I would play Gudas, Zellweger, Dumoulin, LaCombe, Vaakanainen, and Luneau over Ceci at RD. Certainly Ceci is a more finished product than the young guys, but there is no need to block their development.
Block their development for one year? Shouldn’t they play in San Diego or get sheltered minutes in the NHL before throwing them into a FT role in the NHL? There is a reason why verbeek wanted to get a top 4 RHD and that reason still exists.

Reactions: DavidBL and Vino

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Askarov isn't worth either. IMO/YMMV.
Definitely a fair opinion. I was just thinking, from San Jose’s POV, swapping your 3rd or 4th best C prospect for one of the top goalie prospects in the game (at least that’s the consensus opinion) seems like a solid gamble to make. Especially since they don’t have any notable goalie prospects. Its pretty rare for a goalie prospect of that caliber to be available.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
SJ has had a hole at goalie since Nabokov retired, Niemi and Jones were terrible, Askarov could be their longterm solution. SJ did however bend over and take one for Edmonton in that Ceci deal, should have gotten at least a 2nd + 4th.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
And now I'm curious to know, everyone that was anti-laine, would you have done it for the ducks equivalent? I would have but I'm interested now that there is a price attached what others think, would that price would have swayed anyone?

Idk much bout Harris but I feel like

Hinds/helleson or moore are in the ball park

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad