Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
If we slot players where they belong fowler isn’t needed
We have a bottom 6 defense. Nobody on the entire team belongs on a top pairing, and exactly zero of the young players have proven they belong in a top 4 not playing next to Gudas, who does not belong anywhere near top pairing minutes.

What is this NHL caliber defense you envision without Fowler? Who are the pairings?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
That’s sounds good except there are no two-way players out there that will fill up the net. At least none that we can get.

There are always two-way players that will be middling scorers.

John

Added: We have no offense anyone fears. We are so easy to shutdown.
We added a hopefully larger Carlsson, a hopefully unbroken McTavish, a healthy Zegras, Gauthier, and possibly Colangelo/Regenda/Nesterenko.

I feel like Cronin’s system trying to use skill guys to dump and chase had as much to do with the offensive ineptitude as the players on the ice did.

Reactions: Yemeth and 70sSanO

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
That’s sounds good except there are no two-way players out there that will fill up the net. At least none that we can get.

There are always two-way players that will be middling scorers.

John

Added: We have no offense anyone fears. We are so easy to shutdown.

IMO, the blame for the lack of offense no one fears is due to coaching.

Ducks
SeasonGame setGamesWLOTLPtsPts PctGFGAGD
2022-23season
82​
23​
47​
12​
58​
35.4%​
206​
335​
-129​
2023-24season
82​
27​
50​
5​
59​
36.0%​
204​
295​
-91​
Difference'24 minus '23
4​
3​
-7​
1​
0.0061​
0​
-2​
-40​
38​

We vastly improved our GA, which means we should have earned more points. So why didn't we earn more points?

DucksEven Strength
SeasonGame SetES GFES GAES GD
2022-23Season
169​
250​
-81​
2023-24Season
150​
199​
-50​
Difference'23 minus '24
-19​
-51​
32​

DucksSpecialTeams
SeasonGame SetGamesPPGPPOPP Eff.PK GATSHPK Eff.SHGSHGA
2022-23Season
82​
36​
229​
15.7%​
78​
280​
72.1%​
1​
7​
2023-24Season
82​
42​
235​
18.3%​
91​
330​
72.4%​
12​
5​
Difference'24 minus '23
6​
6​
0.022​
13​
50​
0.003​
11​
-2​

Our Even Strength (ES) scoring went missing last year under Cronin. We got extra scoring with our PP (+7 more goals than the previous season) and our PK (+11 more shorties). The lack of scoring only at ES play is blamed upon the coaching and its "offensive" scheme.

Adding Laine in Cronin's defense first ES scheme might stifle Laine's offense like it did Zegras. But Zegras has the mental fortitude to push ahead. Laine... I don't think so.

I do hope I'm wrong about Cronin's ES offense, but that offense put me to sleep or zoned out often because it didn't do much last year.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I would wonder about a deal around maybe 2 2nds and one of LaCombe or Moore.

I wouldn't trade anyone in the top 6 or the top 4.
This is the type of deal I think makes sense.
We will just have to agree to disagree

Because I don’t see how anyone has watched cam Fowler the last 3 seasons and came out thinking “ya we’re screwed without him “

You have lost all perspective on Fowler. He's not a no. 1 defensemen. So he has looked bad in that role with the ducks, not to mention he's typically had a young/poor partner. And I agree he has his limitations when it comes to physicality and shooting.

But at his worst, Fowler is a solid top 4 d man on a good team. He's at the tail end of his prime and his contract is actually pretty attractive (only 2 years of term at $6.5M, which is the going rate for a top 4 guy). He should be a pretty attractive asset to a contender at the trade deadline (2 playoff runs), should the ducks want to move him.

And just to be clear, he does bring value to the ducks even if he's being played too high in the lineup. Trading him will be a step back in the short term. That might be the right move, but the ducks are a worse team without him. in the short run

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This is the type of deal I think makes sense.

You have lost all perspective on Fowler. He's not a no. 1 defensemen. So he has looked bad in that role with the ducks, not to mention he's typically had a young/poor partner. And I agree he has his limitations when it comes to physicality and shooting.

But at his worst, Fowler is a solid top 4 d man on a good team. He's at the tail end of his prime and his contract is actually pretty attractive (only 2 years of term at $6.5M, which is the going rate for a top 4 guy). He should be a pretty attractive asset to a contender at the trade deadline (2 playoff runs), should the ducks want to move him.

And just to be clear, he does bring value to the ducks even if he's being played too high in the lineup. Trading him will be a step back in the short term. That might be the right move, but the ducks are a worse team without him. in the short run
I’d say the team is about the same with or without him…. Terrible

But without him there’s a chance of being better

Maybe we can add to fowler and find a better dmen for the fit we need

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckRogers10

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I’d say the team is about the same with or without him…. Terrible

But without him there’s a chance of being better

Maybe we can add to fowler and find a better dmen for the fit we need
How does this make sense? We replace Fowler with a worse player and we have a chance to be better? What's the math on that?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The "worse" players have potential on their side

whats the math with fowler leading our d core?
IF the guys with potential ARE actually better, then you can move Fowler down and have a better than average player either on the 2nd or 3rd pairing. IF this is NOT the year that they reach their potential, then they don’t get over played and potentially their confidence destroyed/learn bad habits.

The depth on D is still paper thin. We have no AHL depth. We don’t need the cap space.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
The Fowler hate always blows my mind. The guy was thrust into the NHL and has been treated as a number one for way too long. It’s not his fault the team consistently relies on him to be “the guy”. If trading away Fowler made us better, I’d be shocked

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He's the best dman we have?

Fowler not being who you want doesn't change that.

This is something I would have wanted. Physical, very good forechecker. Oh well.
A 4th for pod?

I assume that kinda means Holloway is gone? And they get a 3rd back so

Holloway + 4th
For
Pod + 3rd

Seems like decent overall value for oilers

Edit: as for fowler him being the best on the team , that’s a serious problem we should prob trade him + to upgrade

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Edit: as for fowler him being the best on the team , that’s a serious problem we should prob trade him + to upgrade
for as much as you dislike him, dont you think it would take an insane + alongside him to upgrade him if he's as bad you suggest? at which point, is it even worth it to move him instead of just waiting a few more years till his contract is up?

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Waddell is on record saying he didn’t like what he was hearing about CBJs locker room. It didn’t sound like a Laine-specific thing.
Makes me wonder if that goes back to the Babcock fiasco. Some of the team "leaders" had no problem with the phones incident, obviously many others did. Could be a divided clubhouse?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I would wonder about a deal around maybe 2 2nds and one of LaCombe or Moore.

I wouldn't trade anyone in the top 6 or the top 4.
Interesting to note that the 2 2nds would be used by Columbus after Laine had moved on from the Ducks following the 25-26 season.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The "worse" players have potential on their side

whats the math with fowler leading our d core?

The potential could be crushed if those players are put into a position to fail.

Fowler being our top pairing helped to shelter our youth. Drysdale was supposed to do that too until he got injured. Then that caused LaCombe to be forced into top pairing duties b/c Luneau wasn't ready and Vaak couldn't hang. Rather than people saying LaCombe wasn't put into a position to succeed, they will say he sucks. Also, people forget that Minty started the season as a third pairing.

Here's how our three rookie d-men ended their season last year:

Ducks
PlayerGame setGamesGAPts+/-HitsBlocksComments
LaCombe49 to 712317811244From Feb 19 to Apr 18
Minty41 to 6323279-92922from Feb 13 to Mar 30
Zell5 to 2622268-81033From Mar 1 to Apr 18 (TDL Call up)

When Minty and Zell were put into a top-4 role, their defensive side were exposed. LaCombe bounced around from 1st pairing to 3rd pairing in his last 23 games, playing 2nd pairing in the last seven games of the season because Minty got injured to close out the season.

Our Ducklings need more seasoning and sheltering. Dumo's ATOI last year was 17:01 in Seattle. Gudas' ATOI last year was 19:30 and that wore him down in the 2nd half of the season as he was only able to play 66 games. Fowler's ATOI was 24:25 and played 81 games. Fowler is necessary in sheltering our youths until they can fly on their own.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad