Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Can't say I'm not disappointed given the price. Have to say l, I'm very much over waiting for the kids to figure it out. I know they're preaching patience but we littlerally did nothing to actually improve the team outside of HOPING the kids take steps. Rico for Fabri is a downgrade and is Dumoulin actually better than Lyubushkin? He plays the wrong side. I just don't see how this is an acceptable offseason so far.

A majority of the kids had their first full pro season last year in C Carlsson, LD Minty, LD/RD LaCombe, G Dostal, and, to a lesser extent, LD/RD Zellweger. LW/C Cutter and RD Luneau are still waiting on their full NHL debuts. First timer pros in the AHL last year were C Gaucher, LD/RD Hinds, F Pastujov, RW Caulfield, LW Nesterenko, G Clang, and G Suchanek. Although, I think I missed a few names. RW Colangelo, RD Warren, F Sidorov, and possibly F Pitre will be rookies in the AHL next season.

The youth movement in the NHL preceding all those players are Zegras and McTavish. Last year was Zegras' full third season in the NHL and it was Mac's sophomore season. I don't see Terry as part of the youth movement.

I don't comprehend this "I'm very much over waiting for the kids to figure it out" when the majority haven't had the time to figure it out at the NHL level. This season is another developmental year to help them figure it out. We are starting year 3 of the reset rebuild. It's going how I imagine a rebuild would be when Verbeek went scorched Earth.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Culture matters too. I can't pretend to know what happens beyond the scenes but a guy who has been traded multiple times, is a shade of his former self, has had noted effort and consistency issues well before he checked into player assistance, yes on paper it makes sense, we could easily beat it and he only has two years left at that cap hit so it's not a huge risk given how much space the team has. But it's already hard enough to build a winning culture coming out of a rebuild without having to soften the sting of a guy making more than most of the guys on the team (potentially) not performing well.

I wouldn't wring my wrists if the Ducks picked him up, but I have no issues with Verbeek passing on him.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
The lack of interest at him and the return CBJ got makes me think that there's something the GMs know that we don't. The cap hit alone isn't a huge deal for many teams, and there's definitely potential that could be tapped. In any case, I wish him luck. Hasn't been the easiest past couple of years for him.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Have to say l, I'm very much over waiting for the kids to figure it out.
Yeah sorry but this is pretty insane to me, we’re in the middle of a rebuild with many of our future core pieces either being one season into their careers or not even in the NHL yet, how can you already be at a point where you’re “over” waiting for them to emerge as the key players on the team?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Yeah sorry but this is pretty insane to me, we’re in the middle of a rebuild with many of our future core pieces either being one season into their careers or not even in the NHL yet, how can you already be at a point where you’re “over” waiting for them to emerge as the key players on the team?
Would you prefer, "I'm over waiting for kids" to be a good team. We're not in the middle of a rebuild were going into what year 7? Even the expansion Ducks made more progress than that. It is the better part if a decade with the team doing nothing but getting worse. What's insane to me is thinking that's okay. Look at the other successful rebuilds and tell me which ones have 6 or more top 10 picks.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lol I had a similar thought. Most of the biggest name kids haven't even played a full season of NHL hockey and we're already tired of waiting? On the other hand I get what he's saying. I think the thing he wants to see is that we start building a roster of veterans around the youth to start competing. Which I get but it's not the end of the world if we have to wait another year for the kids to get themselves established and get an idea of what needs to be added around them.

Reactions: MMC

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So Montreal can trade Laine in the 2026 trade deadline to a contender for a 1st round pick since he'll be an expiring contract putting up good numbers. So Harris would then turn into a 2nd + 1st.
Would you trade LaCombe or Vaaks for a 2nd + 1st ? I certainly would and for those upset that think it pushes the rebuild back that 2nd + 1st can be used in another trade to bring in established players.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Would you prefer, "I'm over waiting for kids" to be a good team. We're not in the middle of a rebuild were going into what year 7? Even the expansion Ducks made more progress than that. It is the better part if a decade with the team doing nothing but getting worse. What's insane to me is thinking that's okay. Look at the other successful rebuilds and tell me which ones have 6 or more top 10 picks.
I don’t really care about the Murray years and for your own sanity you probably shouldn’t either. I don’t think PV needs to (nor should he) expedite what he wants to do simply because the team was shit for several years before he got here and the fans aren’t happy about it so I don't care about how many years the team missed the playoffs before he got here. The reality is they aren’t going to be in a position to go for it until they have a young core that’s shown they can be anything other than a bottom feeding team. Most players are just starting to get their feet wet so I’m fine not putting that expectation on them for a few more years still. I get it you want the team to be good but you’re going to drive yourself insane if you expect your frustration to mean anything to the front office when most of our future core pieces (Mintyukov, Zellweger, Carlsson, Sennecke, and Gauthier) have either less than a full season’s worth of games under the belt or haven’t debuted yet

Reactions: Dryish and Deuce22

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm very annoyed. Maybe we were on his no-trade list?

This off-season is for sure a failure. How much of it is on management is where the debate lies I think.

Reactions: 70sSanO

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
So Montreal can trade Laine in the 2026 trade deadline to a contender for a 1st round pick since he'll be an expiring contract putting up good numbers. So Harris would then turn into a 2nd + 1st.
Would you trade LaCombe or Vaaks for a 2nd + 1st ? I certainly would and for those upset that think it pushes the rebuild back that 2nd + 1st can be used in another trade to bring in established players.
Or alternatively Laine sucks and is worth nothing at the deadline and LaCombe develops into a top 4 guy and we dealt a younger top 4D for a 2nd and a crappy contract

Reactions: ScarTroy

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
For me, a Laine deal was never so much about price as it was about a comfort level with the player and how he'd fit. If, after looking hard, PV didn't like what he saw then I'm glad we didn't take him at any price. But if the org felt positive about the player but still insisted on retention, I'd consider that a mistake. I wanted Laine because he puts pucks in the net or helps do it, and those extra goals lead to winning more games, and winning begets a whole slew of positive things. Rightly or wrongly, I'm really concerned about the effects of another season of bottom-dwelling.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Block their development for one year? Shouldn’t they play in San Diego or get sheltered minutes in the NHL before throwing them into a FT role in the NHL? There is a reason why verbeek wanted to get a top 4 RHD and that reason still exists.
You're absolutely right. There is a reason Verbeek wants to get a top 4 RHD. Ceci doesn't fit that description.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Culture matters too. I can't pretend to know what happens beyond the scenes but a guy who has been traded multiple times, is a shade of his former self, has had noted effort and consistency issues well before he checked into player assistance, yes on paper it makes sense, we could easily beat it and he only has two years left at that cap hit so it's not a huge risk given how much space the team has. But it's already hard enough to build a winning culture coming out of a rebuild without having to soften the sting of a guy making more than most of the guys on the team (potentially) not performing well.

I wouldn't wring my wrists if the Ducks picked him up, but I have no issues with Verbeek passing on him.
Well said.

Also, given that Laine essentially orchestrated this, whether he would have accepted a trade to Anaheim is a valid question. He may have made it known that he wasn't interested in going to a small market rebuild.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I’m also not buying his mental issues had to do with hockey pressure.

Montreal has had such a tough time scoring goals that if he shows up and his offense is back, he will probably be the leading scorer and he will be embraced by the fans.

I gotta believe Laine’s ego will have no problem leaving Columbus for the Habs.

John

Reactions: DavidBL

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don’t really care about the Murray years and for your own sanity you probably shouldn’t either. I don’t think PV needs to (nor should he) expedite what he wants to do simply because the team was shit for several years before he got here and the fans aren’t happy about it so I don't care about how many years the team missed the playoffs before he got here. The reality is they aren’t going to be in a position to go for it until they have a young core that’s shown they can be anything other than a bottom feeding team. Most players are just starting to get their feet wet so I’m fine not putting that expectation on them for a few more years still. I get it you want the team to be good but you’re going to drive yourself insane if you expect your frustration to mean anything to the front office when most of our future core pieces (Mintyukov, Zellweger, Carlsson, Sennecke, and Gauthier) have either less than a full season’s worth of games under the belt or haven’t debuted yet
That just seems odd to me. Just because PV wasn't in charge doesn't mean the assets acquired during that time frame shouldn't matter, or at the very least matter less because they weren't his picks. He still inherited at least 3 building block assets out of those years. Of course my personal frustrations don't matter to the team. This is a place to voice our opinions and frankly I think the job PVs done is questionable and just because he took over 3 years into a rebuild doesn't negate those 3 years, IMO.
As for being In a position to "go for it," I can't say I agree with the mentality. I've never really understood what the expectation is there. We shouldn't add good players until the kids prove they're ready? That is something that they will struggle with without good veteran support/guidance. We're doing these players a disservice. Are they reasonable expectations or are we setting them up to fail? And if they fail we're just setting ourselves back in the rebuild.
At the end if the day PV is responsible for the team that gets put on the ice. Eventually he has to be held accountable for that. To me hoping your kids take steps as a building strategy is flawed at best.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
^ This

No one has a clue if he would even come here no matter what we offer.

If we are on the list he can only contractually come to Anaheim if he waives it.

John
Certainly fair. Still reasonable to be annoyed though IMO. Given the rest of the offseason it's certainly possible. All the more reason to not turn your team into a laughing stock when you don't have big city or OG6 draw or at very least favorable tax laws.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
You're absolutely right. There is a reason Verbeek wants to get a top 4 RHD. Ceci doesn't fit that description.
Having a veteran like Ceci For one year is far better than throwing a 20 year old into the breach. It’s august 19th...beggars can’t be choosers at this point. I’m not saying Ceci was the best solution but he would have been a better solution than relying on an unproven kid to play big minutes. My assumption is that verbeek will bring in a righty between now and opening day. He will most likely be a stop gap one year solution.

Reactions: DavidBL

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Can't say I'm not disappointed given the price. Have to say l, I'm very much over waiting for the kids to figure it out. I know they're preaching patience but we littlerally did nothing to actually improve the team outside of HOPING the kids take steps. Rico for Fabri is a downgrade and is Dumoulin actually better than Lyubushkin? He plays the wrong side. I just don't see how this is an acceptable offseason so far.
You realize it takes two to tango right? Every report points to PV being active.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad