Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well that's not going to happen at the current rate. We've also had a very recent track record of these deals going BAD. Campbell, Husso, Korpisalo... And these guys at least had some promise before they signed their contracts. Georgiev, as it stands, has none. He would be lucky to get a contract at his current rate.

Also regarding Demko, that will be an interesting situation to monitor because skills wise he is absolutely up there. But the guy is made of glass. Are the Canucks going to commit long term to him?

I'm not saying George will get that again, but the comparable contract to the one he is on is going to head that direction. The unproven types that are penciled in as starters will be getting near $5m.

I actually don't think Vancouver will. They are incredibly good at developing goalies and they have been willing to walk away from guys in the past with in just letting them walk or trading them.

Reactions: LOFIN

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm not saying George will get that again, but the comparable contract to the one he is on is going to head that direction. The unproven types that are penciled in as starters will be getting near $5m.
It's kinda crazy with goalies, legit franchise goalies are now topping at 8-9M (yes there are exceptions), but teams will also be desperate to make a multi-year, 3-5M bet for a guy that can be AHL level the year from signing a deal.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's kinda crazy with goalies, legit franchise goalies are now topping at 8-9M (yes there are exceptions), but teams will also be desperate to make a multi-year, 3-5M bet for a guy that can be AHL level the year from signing a deal.
Yeah, it is going to lead to some really odd situations and cap dances too.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah, it is going to lead to some really odd situations and cap dances too.
It has already. Look at the names I dropped earlier. Oilers bought out Jack Campbell 2/5 out of his contract. Ottawa was able to get out of Korpisalo, good for them. How is Detroit going to deal with Husso?

I mean we are lucky that Georgiev was "only" a 3 year 3.4M commitment.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It has already. Look at the names I dropped earlier. Oilers bought out Jack Campbell 2/5 out of his contract. Ottawa was able to get out of Korpisalo, good for them. How is Detroit going to deal with Husso?

I mean we are lucky that Georgiev was "only" a 3 year 3.4M commitment.
Campbell was a bit more proven than the others, but yeah we are seeing it. We saw it with the lower amount guys before too, it just wasn't as egregious. With all of this though, going to be really interesting how the Avs handle the net next year. They'll have to make clearing moves to fit in a guy at even ~4m, let alone 5 the market might be dictating. It could move the needle to the guy under contract now and pay for retention sort of move Gibson, Grubi, Jarry sorts of guys who need to bounce back/also kinda suck.. but could be had with retention in the low 3s if not under 3.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Feels like Vancouver better pray Demko can return because Silovs is struggling to start
Lankinen did play well though, and I was shocked he was didn't get a contract until training camp. I guess his camp was too hard on the negotiations.

Lankinen has been a pretty damn decent backup so far in his career. If I had known Bednar actually didn't plan to play Annunen this year either, I would've been screaming to get Lankinen all offseason long.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I like the idea of Gibson, but if he’s a flop you’ve just made our cap situation worse, lost more of the few tradeable assets we have, and likely shut the window for good with this group. On the flip side, sitting on your hands, doing nothing, and running with Georgie likely results in the same thing.

Reactions: The Moops

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
8aav is the new 6 for goalie contracts. Not a bad contract for Oettinger at all but the term would worry me - but that’s for any goalie really. What % of goalies play high level for 8 years after already being in the league for a few. Maybe they’re not paying him to be that but I would guess the last few years won’t look great.

Reactions: Murzu

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Here's what I think is gonna happen, it's gonna be:

Montembault + Savard for Georgiev + 2026 1st + 2025 2nd(NYR)

Savard comes in to stabilize the Defense and add some toughness. Montembault is the new starter and at a cap hit the Avs love to spend on our starters.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Here's what I think is gonna happen, it's gonna be:

Montembault + Savard for Georgiev + 2026 1st + 2025 2nd(NYR)

Savard comes in to stabilize the Defense and add some toughness. Montembault is the new starter and at a cap hit the Avs love to spend on our starters.
I think it'd take a LOT more than that, they like Montembeault, and I don't think Primeau is going to be ready for at least another year.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think it's two-fold.

You can get by with the Avs strategy for goaltenders when your team is absurdly deep. The 2019-2022 teams were evidence of that.

Problem is as the Avs have had to pay the piper with contracts, they haven't shifted their mentality. So top-end and even depth players cost more money, they lose the insane depth they once had, they have to play stars even more but they still believe in cheap as f*** goaltending.

The mentality has to shift towards getting an above average to high-end starter. Otherwise, they're doomed unless they dump someone like Rantanen and spread the wealth which IMO would make us a much worse team unless the players they get back for Mikko are 2-3 NHL ready guys on ELCs.
The defense has been fine overall since the cup win though. Statistically the difference is quite minimal, the difference is that we have a guy who’s been historically bad and instead of rectifying said issue they keep trotting him out.

Reactions: LOFIN

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The defense has been fine overall since the cup win though. Statistically the difference is quite minimal, the difference is that we have a guy who’s been historically bad and instead of rectifying said issue they keep trotting him out.
It's not that our defense has gotten worse. It's the idea that our depth has suffered and as such, our top guys play more which makes them worse because they're more tired through the course of games.

Because we have to rely on top-heavy rosters rather than super deep rosters, we can't play the "overwhelm with pressure" style Bednar wants and we get hemmed in more now IMO than we have in the past. Thus, the goaltending needs to make up for the lack of depth and it just hasn't the last two seasons.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
100% this. I get the notion of "find a legit goalie", but easier said than done. There are literally a dozen lottery tickets out there (and Annunen is included in this), yet the Avs keep trying to scratch the used ticket hoping the numbers will change.

We don't need elite, or even good goaltending yet. The last two games yes, but in general no. Statistically, we've still been up there in the better part of the league when it comes to team defence. The problem is that we've had one of the worst goaltending in the f***ing league for a long stretch now, and nothing is done about it. Not even internally, when there are options.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think it'd take a LOT more than that, they like Montembeault, and I don't think Primeau is going to be ready for at least another year.

I could see an additional 2nd being needed but I don't think it would take more then that.

At that point it'd be a 1st + 2nd for Montembault and a 2nd for Savard. Montembault at least so far hasn't shown to really be meaningfully better then the previous batch of goalies we've traded for(Kuemper/Grubauer/George) and we never moved a 1st+ for any of them either.

I do think his contract gives him more value then those guys, but a 1st + 2nd for a guy who is unsure about being a legit starter would be quite reasonable IMO.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's not that our defense has gotten worse. It's the idea that our depth has suffered and as such, our top guys play more which makes them worse because they're more tired through the course of games.

Because we have to rely on top-heavy rosters rather than super deep rosters, we can't play the "overwhelm with pressure" style Bednar wants and we get hemmed in more now IMO than we have in the past. Thus, the goaltending needs to make up for the lack of depth and it just hasn't the last two seasons.
I get that. The result of that though hasn’t seen a major decline in the ability of our defense though. The difference is that Georgie went from an above average goalie who let in some softies to downright horrific. The Avs gave up 14 goals on their first 16 high danger chances against in their first two games. If they only gave up 8 HDCF per game they would’ve finished 9th in HDCF last season.

The biggest issue plaguing this team is that every single mistake they make ends up in the back of the net. Georgie needs to be replaced end of. He is by far the biggest issue and it’s completely f***ing with the team mentally.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

I get that. The result of that though hasn’t seen a major decline in the ability of our defense though. The difference is that Georgie went from an above average goalie who let in some softies to downright horrific. The Avs gave up 14 goals on their first 16 high danger chances against in their first two games. If they only gave up 8 HDCF per game they would’ve finished 9th in HDCF last season.

The biggest issue plaguing this team is that every single mistake they make ends up in the back of the net. Georgie needs to be replaced end of. He is by far the biggest issue and it’s completely f***ing with the team mentally.

I think you're both saying similar things in just different manners. The defense hasn't slipped that badly, but where it has slipped, we need goaltending to make up for it. George is clearly not making up for it (in fact making it significantly worse).

IMO there is merit to the Avs not being able to play Bednar's style anymore due to the roster. I think even Bednar sees that as reflected by how much the top guys play. To overcome that, we likely have to change the systems a bit AND we need to move from targeting average goaltending to good (if not great) goaltending. Redistribute cap to that to ensure it happens.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

AvsFan4

Jul 18, 2024
Makes me sick seeing other teams lock up goalies to contracts like Oettinger’s (mostly cause I’m jealous they have one). We legit haven’t had “our guy” in net since Varlamov…

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Makes me sick seeing other teams lock up goalies to contracts like Oettinger’s (mostly cause I’m jealous they have one). We legit haven’t had “our guy” in net since Varlamov…
And what have those other teams won?

The Florida teams yeah. And how many of us (and around the league) thought that Bobrovsky contract was the worst in the league two years ago.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm swatting the hornets nest... but while Varly was brought in to be that guy, he failed to hold up to it for various reasons. There were a few years where he did, but too many where he left the team wanting and turning to other options. I don't think the Avs have really had a guy since Roy.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I'm swatting the hornets nest... but while Varly was brought in to be that guy, he failed to hold up to it for various reasons. There were a few years where he did, but too many where he left the team wanting and turning to other options. I don't think the Avs have really had a guy since Roy.
I think Craig Anderson was the closest since Roy. Obviously, the falling out season ruined any chance at a long term relationship, but he’s been the best of that 2nd tier grouping of inconsistent goalies that we’ve had.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think Craig Anderson was the closest since Roy. Obviously, the falling out season ruined any chance at a long term relationship, but he’s been the best of that 2nd tier grouping of inconsistent goalies that we’ve had.
I think he could have been that guy if he didn't give up and force his way out. He ended up with a very solid career and that could have been here in a different universe.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I think he could have been that guy if he didn't give up and force his way out. He ended up with a very solid career and that could have been here in a different universe.
Was it simply discontent on his contract offer that made him bail?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad