Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The sad part is cMac has pretty much lost all leverage in negotiations with Rantanen's camp in waiting this long. The guy is 8 months away from 32 teams clawing over themselves to offer him as much money as possible.

Any contract Mikko accepts with the Avs now is going to horrible for the Avs.
What specific leverage CMac and the Avs ever had? He has put up elite numbers consistently for the last few years.

Reactions: GoNordiquesGo

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I was told Ullmark wouldn’t re-sign in Ottawa. :sarcasm:

We’re in the midst of a solid resetting of the goalie market. After the resetting for the center market. Naturally wings and defensemen will follow.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The sad part is cMac has pretty much lost all leverage in negotiations with Rantanen's camp in waiting this long. The guy is 8 months away from 32 teams clawing over themselves to offer him as much money as possible.

I don’t believe he ever had any to begin with.

Rantanen was always one year from UFA. Whether that’s 10 months from UFA, or 8, don’t see any difference.

Reactions: Bender

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017

Eh I think he still has as much as he had to begin with. If it drags out to summer, that's when he loses leverage, because he needs to know how the Rants situation goes before building the rest of the team.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Unless he does us a favor, which I don't see Rantanen or his agent doing.

At this point with no extension in place, I'd prefer to seek a trade as that contract is going to be ugly.

They've had plenty of time this summer to get something hammered out. This tells me that they really aren't very close.

Could be wrong but I don't envision this ending up positively for the Avs.

Ugh, that's a hideous contact.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
They've had plenty of time this summer to get something hammered out. This tells me that they really aren't very close.

I don't really get the panic on this. His contract might end up looking expensive, but lets remember that MacKinnon signed his extension 1 day before the training camp. The captain of this team was ONE DAY away from UFA when they re-signed him. Pastrnak and Nylander got their extensions after new year.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That’s a great contract. The fear was him asking for 6+ years. It’s tough to get shorter contracts on older UFA’s that are still good. They want to maximize their career earnings while they still have some leverage . The Sens core is already signed for many more years so Ullmark getting 4 years at a higher AAV doesn’t hurt them

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think people are less worried about Rantanen's contract getting done and more worried about what it will look like. It clearly is a situation where it isn't an 'easy' contract. IE if Rants was willing for 10m for 8 years, this was done July 1. How far he is willing to push it is the real question... we're seeing a continual resetting of amounts. It wouldn't be unreasonable for Rantanen to seek that for himself.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I was told Ullmark wouldn’t re-sign in Ottawa. :sarcasm:

We’re in the midst of a solid resetting of the goalie market. After the resetting for the center market. Naturally wings and defensemen will follow.
Linus, we'd like to offer you an new contract to re-sign here.

I already told you that I don't want...

Will give you a 4-year deal, with an $8....

YES!

Let me finish. $8...

YES!

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Unless he does us a favor, which I don't see Rantanen or his agent doing.

At this point with no extension in place, I'd prefer to seek a trade as that contract is going to be ugly.

Actually, I think there's a good chance this does end up pretty good for the Avs. I'm actually pretty happy that he's unsigned right now. (preferred traded)

Hench is right, if the Rantanen camp was willing to do 10M for 8 years, this would have been done a long time ago.

I see it this way -> what kind of numbers would Rantanen have to put up this season for him to get A LOT MORE than what he's probably already asking for right now ?

I mean if he's going to lead the league in scoring and win the MVP, sure he'd get a lot more but as of right now - the Avs probably don't have much to gain to re-sign him apart from making sure they keep him with the team long-term.

Sure, there's a chance he could very well walk away at the end of the season - and I have a strong feeling that IF that happens, it's going to be because Avs management have seen a lot of the worrisome aspects of his game that a lot of people (who actually watch the games and get what's going on) have also seen. There are a lot of people who share this opinion while many others who simply point at the scoresheet to suggest that he's producing so there is no real problem there.

If the Avs don't win the Cup and he puts forth the same kind of effort that we saw last season, I hope we don't re-sign him at all.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Actually, I think there's a good chance this does end up pretty good for the Avs. I'm actually pretty happy that he's unsigned right now. (preferred traded)

Hench is right, if the Rantanen camp was willing to do 10M for 8 years, this would have been done a long time ago.

I see it this way -> what kind of numbers would Rantanen have to put up this season for him to get A LOT MORE than what he's probably already asking for right now ?

I mean if he's going to lead the league in scoring and win the MVP, sure he'd get a lot more but as of right now - the Avs probably don't have much to gain to re-sign him apart from making sure they keep him with the team long-term.

Sure, there's a chance he could very well walk away at the end of the season - and I have a strong feeling that IF that happens, it's going to be because Avs management have seen a lot of the worrisome aspects of his game that a lot of people (who actually watch the games and get what's going on) have also seen. There are a lot of people who share this opinion while many others who simply point at the scoresheet to suggest that he's producing so there is no real problem there.

If the Avs don't win the Cup and he puts forth the same kind of effort that we saw last season, I hope we don't re-sign him at all.
I'd say the odds of the Avs not re-signing Rants are very small. Like Rants would have to outright refuse to sign sort of small.

IMO Rants and his group simply want to reset the wing market. On re-signings, that is Pasta's ~13.5%. That's right under MacK's number. On highest overall for wings, that is Bread at ~14.2% or ~13.25m. Avs likely want to keep Rants under 12 (probably even around 11-11.5).

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
WHY YOU KEEP DOING THIS
some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-burn-batman.gif

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

To me, he's Geno Malkin, Draisaitl, Jagr, etc. A guy that doesn't GAF about defense and often dogs it, but simply produces. There are bad sides to keeping him, and bad sides to letting him walk. Regardless of what happens, it will hurt the team in some way. They let him walk or trade him, they better have a damn good plan ready to replace him.

Reactions: xAvsx89

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
They let him walk or trade him, they better have a damn good plan ready to replace him.
Arguably you can't replace these players... not by committee and certainly not directly. That's the crux of it. Rants has a lot of flaws, but he produces at an elite rate. For that, he's going to get paid. If the Avs let him walk there isn't combo of 2-3 players that can replace what he brings.. and the Avs would have to dramatically re-shape the roster and team. That could be the right move, but it is inherently very risky in an industry that is very risk averse.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

To me, he's Geno Malkin, Draisaitl, Jagr, etc. A guy that doesn't GAF about defense and often dogs it, but simply produces. There are bad sides to keeping him, and bad sides to letting him walk. Regardless of what happens, it will hurt the team in some way. They let him walk or trade him, they better have a damn good plan ready to replace him.
If Rants walks there’s almost not a single thing the Avs can do to replace him. Well have tons of cap space but we have no assets and even getting a 70pt guy to replace Mikko will be expensive in assets or cap space.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yeah, if people were robots maybe that would be true, but it's not. The leverage is the home you know, or the unknown. As well as his play now more than ever factoring into how comfortable that unknown really will be.

If Mikko is actually offended he's not sitting on a new contract, and has not done a significantly better job at conditioning this off-season you might as well throw a bouncy ball to predict the outcome.

I sure as f*** don't want to be in Calgary's position. Let him prove he's worth 12.5 or more and force the team to sign him.

Reactions: MacKaRant

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Exactly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad