Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
If Rants walks there’s almost not a single thing the Avs can do to replace him. Well have tons of cap space but we have no assets and even getting a 70pt guy to replace Mikko will be expensive in assets or cap space.
There would be nothing we can do to replace him in years 1 and 2 of his contract. It's years 3-8 that worry me. There are tons of examples around the league of star players (maybe not with Mikko-level production) whose game starts to atrophy around 30 as the league gets younger, faster, and so on.

As much as we talked about MacK's contract potentially aging poorly due to his game being based around his physical gifts, he's such an intense competitor that I would have faith in him continuing to provide value even in later years. I can't say the same for Mikko.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd say the odds of the Avs not re-signing Rants are very small. Like Rants would have to outright refuse to sign sort of small.

IMO Rants and his group simply want to reset the wing market. On re-signings, that is Pasta's ~13.5%. That's right under MacK's number. On highest overall for wings, that is Bread at ~14.2% or ~13.25m. Avs likely want to keep Rants under 12 (probably even around 11-11.5).

Their current posture says they'll let him walk, and they drove their captain right to the cliff and let him take a look.

They could be just posturing, there is at least some chance they let him walk depending on how this season goes.

As of right now they're lining up to play chicken from my perspective.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There would be nothing we can do to replace him in years 1 and 2 of his contract. It's years 3-8 that worry me. There are tons of examples around the league of star players (maybe not with Mikko-level production) whose game starts to atrophy around 30 as the league gets younger, faster, and so on.

As much as we talked about MacK's contract potentially aging poorly due to his game being based around his physical gifts, he's such an intense competitor that I would have faith in him continuing to provide value even in later years. I can't say the same for Mikko.

They could start with getting a goalie they can rely on, and having someone worth while next to Casey.

If this team wants to continue to legitimately compete Mikko either needs to bend some, or they need to restructure to a team that does not need to overcome a 4 goal deficit to win. Ideally both happen.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I mean by that point the contention window will essentially be dead in the water.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't really get the panic on this. His contract might end up looking expensive, but lets remember that MacKinnon signed his extension 1 day before the training camp. The captain of this team was ONE DAY away from UFA when they re-signed him. Pastrnak and Nylander got their extensions after new year.
It's not really panic, it's being realistic.

All summer no deal, means to me that the numbers probably aren't super close.

The part that is more concerning to me isn't that it won't get done, it's the garbage number that's going to be attached to it. It's going to be ugly, and probably something the Avs should have stayed away from.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't really get the panic on this. His contract might end up looking expensive, but lets remember that MacKinnon signed his extension 1 day before the training camp. The captain of this team was ONE DAY away from UFA when they re-signed him. Pastrnak and Nylander got their extensions after new year.

Toews last year too. Signed in mid October. I have a feeling Mikko's deal will get done at a similar time. Oct/Nov.

Reactions: LOFIN

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Toews last year too. Signed in mid October. I have a feeling Mikko's deal will get done at a similar time. Oct/Nov.
Right

I wouldn't be surprised though, if this extends through the new year. That's just because then the management will actually have a better view of the future. What it holds for Landy and Nuke, how Rantanen and Drouin have played etc.

It will be hard to keep Rantanen cap wise if Landy and Nuke return. If Drouin at that point has played very well, he's open for an extension after new year as well (at least I think?). So going to be some hard decisions regardless.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
It feels very post 2001 instead of post 1996 that's for sure.
IMO, COVID is what really hurt the Avs. The reduced cap has all but destroyed their post Cup window. Had the cap been were it is now, 2 years ago, they likely have a lot better depth than they did the last 2 years.

That and Landy's injury has hurt them a lot more than we all realize.... and, of course, Nuke's stupidity hasn't helped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad