Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
If Rants walks there’s almost not a single thing the Avs can do to replace him. Well have tons of cap space but we have no assets and even getting a 70pt guy to replace Mikko will be expensive in assets or cap space.
There would be nothing we can do to replace him in years 1 and 2 of his contract. It's years 3-8 that worry me. There are tons of examples around the league of star players (maybe not with Mikko-level production) whose game starts to atrophy around 30 as the league gets younger, faster, and so on.

As much as we talked about MacK's contract potentially aging poorly due to his game being based around his physical gifts, he's such an intense competitor that I would have faith in him continuing to provide value even in later years. I can't say the same for Mikko.

Reactions: arun and CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd say the odds of the Avs not re-signing Rants are very small. Like Rants would have to outright refuse to sign sort of small.

IMO Rants and his group simply want to reset the wing market. On re-signings, that is Pasta's ~13.5%. That's right under MacK's number. On highest overall for wings, that is Bread at ~14.2% or ~13.25m. Avs likely want to keep Rants under 12 (probably even around 11-11.5).

Their current posture says they'll let him walk, and they drove their captain right to the cliff and let him take a look.

They could be just posturing, there is at least some chance they let him walk depending on how this season goes.

As of right now they're lining up to play chicken from my perspective.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There would be nothing we can do to replace him in years 1 and 2 of his contract. It's years 3-8 that worry me. There are tons of examples around the league of star players (maybe not with Mikko-level production) whose game starts to atrophy around 30 as the league gets younger, faster, and so on.

As much as we talked about MacK's contract potentially aging poorly due to his game being based around his physical gifts, he's such an intense competitor that I would have faith in him continuing to provide value even in later years. I can't say the same for Mikko.

They could start with getting a goalie they can rely on, and having someone worth while next to Casey.

If this team wants to continue to legitimately compete Mikko either needs to bend some, or they need to restructure to a team that does not need to overcome a 4 goal deficit to win. Ideally both happen.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I mean by that point the contention window will essentially be dead in the water.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't really get the panic on this. His contract might end up looking expensive, but lets remember that MacKinnon signed his extension 1 day before the training camp. The captain of this team was ONE DAY away from UFA when they re-signed him. Pastrnak and Nylander got their extensions after new year.
It's not really panic, it's being realistic.

All summer no deal, means to me that the numbers probably aren't super close.

The part that is more concerning to me isn't that it won't get done, it's the garbage number that's going to be attached to it. It's going to be ugly, and probably something the Avs should have stayed away from.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't really get the panic on this. His contract might end up looking expensive, but lets remember that MacKinnon signed his extension 1 day before the training camp. The captain of this team was ONE DAY away from UFA when they re-signed him. Pastrnak and Nylander got their extensions after new year.

Toews last year too. Signed in mid October. I have a feeling Mikko's deal will get done at a similar time. Oct/Nov.

Reactions: LOFIN

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Toews last year too. Signed in mid October. I have a feeling Mikko's deal will get done at a similar time. Oct/Nov.
Right

I wouldn't be surprised though, if this extends through the new year. That's just because then the management will actually have a better view of the future. What it holds for Landy and Nuke, how Rantanen and Drouin have played etc.

It will be hard to keep Rantanen cap wise if Landy and Nuke return. If Drouin at that point has played very well, he's open for an extension after new year as well (at least I think?). So going to be some hard decisions regardless.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
It feels very post 2001 instead of post 1996 that's for sure.
IMO, COVID is what really hurt the Avs. The reduced cap has all but destroyed their post Cup window. Had the cap been were it is now, 2 years ago, they likely have a lot better depth than they did the last 2 years.

That and Landy's injury has hurt them a lot more than we all realize.... and, of course, Nuke's stupidity hasn't helped.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Didn't Jost request a trade out of here? That bridge might be burnt. Anyways, no thank you. With our awful depth he'd eventually find himself on our third line again when injuries hit, and my eyes can't handle that.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If Rants walks there’s almost not a single thing the Avs can do to replace him. Well have tons of cap space but we have no assets and even getting a 70pt guy to replace Mikko will be expensive in assets or cap space.
Well for starters they could simply re-sign Drouin next summer instead of inevitably having to let him walk for nothing.

If Nichushkin and Landeskog both return (big if's at this point admittedly) then a top 6 of Landeskog, Nichushkin, Lehkonen, and Drouin wouldn't be terrible, even though there would be a distinct lack of a sniper in that group.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Can Jost play 4C, win faceoffs and be good on the PK? If so he’s better than everything we have. We’d not need him to produce or skate fast.
I think he was pretty good on the PK. Can't win a draw to save his life though but that means he'll fit right in.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can Jost play 4C, win faceoffs and be good on the PK? If so he’s better than everything we have. We’d not need him to produce or skate fast.
1. No
2. Dude, did you see him play? Only guy I can think of who was worse at faceoffs was Newhook.
3. He was marginally good at penalty killing for a while there but even that tailed off. I don't think he's even good in that role anymore.

Honestly, Wagner is a better player than he is nowadays and I'm not a big fan of Wagner. Jost is NOT an improvement over anyone on the roster. I'm not even sure if he's an upgrade on Bellemare.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
IMO, COVID is what really hurt the Avs. The reduced cap has all but destroyed their post Cup window. Had the cap been were it is now, 2 years ago, they likely have a lot better depth than they did the last 2 years.

That and Landy's injury has hurt them a lot more than we all realize.... and, of course, Nuke's stupidity hasn't helped.
On the flip side without the flat cap NYI probably wouldn't have traded Toews

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Not having a 2C, and then not having a 2C sticks out in my mind, but yes we seem destined to get bent over by the cap, and injuries post success every 20 or so years.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Really more to the point--shitty drafting and development is what killed the Avs. Just think if Jost had panned out as a good two-way 2C or even halfway decent 3C how that would have affected the last 2 years at least. Would've allowed them to spend the assets they used on trying to upgrade the center corps on other areas.

On the flip side without the flat cap NYI probably wouldn't have traded Toews
Correction: They DEFINITELY would not have traded Toews, certainly not for the super-cheap price the Avs got for him.

The flat cap killed a lot of teams. Frankly it didn't hurt the Avs nearly as much as it hurt others.

I think they should pick up Jost. He’s still not old and has some potential.
This is about as old and repeated a phrase as "Zadorov is only __!"

• Haha

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
If we claim Jost I'm looking for a refund on my NHL TV because there's clearly no f***ing point in anything.

• Haha

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Jost has officially entered "tweener" status, if he hadn't already last season.

IMO he should seriously consider going overseas where he has the potential to make some cash and become an impact player.

Jost will make more in NA than most places even as a tweener... but probably more than anything, his NHL pension is going to ramp up the more that he can play. He's played like ~450 games and I'm sure he's been scratched or injured, but on the NHL roster for at least another ~25-40. If he can find a way to claw to 800, he gets the full benefit. If not though, each 20 game segment lifts him another tier. It isn't an insignificant amount either... like 250k a year when he's of retirement age that'll be indexed to some inflation factor.

I don't think covid or the flat cap did the Avs in. IMO it was more window recognition. It is a common mistake with teams, they don't really push until they are a couple or few years into their window. Thinking they have a ton of time, when really 5-6 years is closer to the norm than 7-8-9. Long windows can happen, but it is usually a result of a really young team winning early. The Avs were not super young win they started winning, and they pushed the chips to the middle a couple years too late. The compounded that by not pushing chips back in the middle after winning the Cup. It was frequently stated they wanted to build for now and the future. That they wanted to be good for a long time. Teams can take many paths to building a contender, it doesn't have to drafting or trading or any one thing... but they all have to push at some point. Avs pushed too late and then stopped pushing

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad