Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Max Pacioretty signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $873.77k; +$600k GP bonus)

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Heard its 0 now since they had to buy a costco hotdog for kessel
I'm a huge Leafs homer and even I can't see how the NHL doesn't go over this. What are the odds the LTIR adds up to 1$ under the perfect amount

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm a huge Leafs homer and even I can't see how the NHL doesn't go over this. What are the odds the LTIR adds up to 1$ under the perfect amount

The odds are great when you sign a contract designed to do just that. There’s a reason Patches signed for such a specific amount, if you’re using LTIR you want to be as close to the limit as possible for maximum relief. They did this two years ago with ZAR, waited until right before the season started and signed him to a very specific cap hit.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
McMann - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Pacioretty - Domi - Robertson
Lorentz - Kampf - Holmberg
*Reeves, Jarnkrok (LTIR), Dewar (IR)

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Montreal traded him, was he suppose to stop playing hockey that day in support of the team?
No he just wasn't supposed to play for Toronto.

Habs legend Josh Gorges once blocked a trade to Toronto because it felt too weird playing for them. That's the spirit !

More seriously I know he can't say no to any opportunity where he's at in his career and he did well to secure a deal. I just wish it was with another team

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Habs legend Josh Gorges once blocked a trade to Toronto because it felt too weird playing for them. That's the spirit !

More seriously I know he can't say no to any opportunity where he's at in his career and he did well to secure a deal. I just wish it was with another team

Josh Gorges blocked a trade to a terrible Leafs team years before they drafted Matthews. Patches wouldn’t have signed with that version of Toronto either.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Patches had several teams interested. People talk about him like he will play 5 games and fall apart and is no good even if he plays. Remains to be seen health wise but he can still play when healthy

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

The Management

Jun 8, 2009

Yeah. It was always really weird to see Mike Komisarek and later Tomas Plekanec in blue and white.

Reactions: HabsQC

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Josh Gorges blocked a trade to a terrible Leafs team years before they drafted Matthews. Patches wouldn’t have signed with that version of Toronto either.
It wasn't because they sucked...

The 30-year-old defenseman was still traded by Montreal; however, he wielded his limited no-trade clause to go to Buffalo, home of the NHL’s worst team in 2013-14, not Toronto, home of a team he’d “grown to hate.”

(NBC Sports)

With that said I agree it's true that a rebuilding team is less attractive, especially for a 35 year old like Patches.
Patches had several teams interested. People talk about him like he will play 5 games and fall apart and is no good even if he plays. Remains to be seen health wise but he can still play when healthy
Never said he would fall apart. He's 35 and got some serious injuries the last few seasons. It's not like every team called for his services.

But for the record I believe he could be scoring 30 goals this year. If he's in shape he could still be effective. His playoff performance has always been disappointing though.

Yeah. It was always really weird to see Mike Komisarek and later Tomas Plekanec in blue and white.
Agreed

Kaberle with the Habs was very weird also.

Reactions: The Management

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Never said he would fall apart. He's 35 and got some serious injuries the last few seasons. It's not like every team called for his services.

True, but also not like the Leafs were the only team interested is all I meant.

But for the record I believe he could be scoring 30 goals this year. If he's in shape he could still be effective. His playoff performance has always been disappointing though.

I don't think he will get the playtime to score that much to be honest. Unless crazy injuries happen, most likely he is on our third line and PP2, and if he is not playing really well he could be in the press box.

Game 1 we are scratching McMann because Berube wanted more from him, but 99% of Leaf fans believe McMann is way better than Patches and we love how he plays the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad