Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Speaking of Lehky...I was under the impression that he wasn't that far off, then today was the first I heard that he's out until at least the end of Oct. Did he suffer a setback or was I just wrong on my assuming he would be ready sooner?
Probably had the wrong assumption. Sounded like he wasn't going to be ready for the beginning of the year. Who really knew what that meant but I kind of assumed he'd miss at least 7-10 games at minimum. Didn't feel like a day to day thing.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It is not just you. Based on the practice videos and the guys covering the Avs, they definitely made it seem like he might not be too far off. So maybe this will be a more than 9 game tryout for Ritchie? Man MacKinnon bout to get 27 minutes a night for the first couple months.
No it won’t be more than nine unless he absolutely kills it. They’re not going to let that ELC kick in this year.

We’ll see what happens with MacKinnon. The good news is that this year at least they’re starting the season with an actual second-line center. He won’t have shit for wingers but he’s a definite upgrade over Ryan NoChancin’.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think the argument is no matter how good the goalie is, they aren’t worth it. I slightly disagree… but I get the thought.

I am, but he turns 29 this year. That contract takes him to 38 and we know these Russian goalies for the most part are athletic freaks. If that fades, oh boy.
Or this and Im idiot.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Just when you thought it couldn't get any closer...

“No concern about it going into the season; these are not easy deals to do,” general manager Chris MacFarland said Tuesday. “The player obviously has the UFA right to go, and the club has to make smart decisions, both for the short term and the long term.”

“We’ve got a few other UFAs, I think, as well. So, I can assure you of one thing, my phone's always on, and I know Mikko's representation's phone’s always on. So, that's as much as I can say on it.”

So godam f***ing close!!!! :sarcasm:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

“No concern about it going into the season; these are not easy deals to do,” general manager Chris MacFarland said Tuesday. “The player obviously has the UFA right to go, and the club has to make smart decisions, both for the short term and the long term.”

“We’ve got a few other UFAs, I think, as well. So, I can assure you of one thing, my phone's always on, and I know Mikko's representation's phone’s always on. So, that's as much as I can say on it.”

The ‘I think’ in that’s statement. Avs are lost without CapFriendly!!

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Just trade him at the deadline, Chris. I don't want to be saddled with a 13m cruiser that can't even stay on his feet

Until he can prove that he can generate offense and run his own line without MacK again, I want no part of his price tag

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Just trade him at the deadline, Chris. I don't want to be saddled with a 13m cruiser that can't even stay on his feet

Until he can prove that he can generate offense and run his own line without MacK again, I want no part of his price tag
Personally I believe there's a decent chance he walks and the Avs will use that cap space in more useful way...(Marner :sarcasm:)

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
That will IMMEDIATELY become a bottom five contract in hockey IMO.
What if I told you he will sign for less money overall than a winger who can't drive his own line, falls down a lot, and has had issues regarding level of effort for the past two seasons?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Problem is someone has got to give us something other than another boat anchor in deal. Otherwise, just stick with the dog you know even if he is shitting in your bed. We won a championship with this dog. Let's see if he can actually get some help.

There are days, where I am no where near as Zen about it. Like during the playoffs. When news broke. Saying Nuke had chosen a snort of coke over trying to compete for a champagne from Stanley's cup.
Personally I believe there's a decent chance he walks and the Avs will use that cap space in more useful way...(Marner :sarcasm:)
I thought you said in a more useful way.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

!!!EMERGENCY POD: Avs reveal that I was full of shit

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Paying a goalie in the NHL is the equivalent of paying a running back in football. There are a handful of guys that are worth the money, and even when you get it right, it takes away from the team you’re able to put in front of them.

As much as I’m not a Georgiev fan, I’m glad the Avs have taken the approach that they have. Their Stanley cup exits have never been due to goalie play imo.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Paying a goalie in the NHL is the equivalent of paying a running back in football. There are a handful of guys that are worth the money, and even when you get it right, it takes away from the team you’re able to put in front of them.

As much as I’m not a Georgiev fan, I’m glad the Avs have taken the approach that they have. Their Stanley cup exits have never been due to goalie play imo.
I think there's a middle ground there between paying top dollar for a Top-10 goalie and what the Avs have been doing.

You can say that - their playoff exits haven't been due to goalie play which I kind of agree to a certain extent but at the same time these guys (Grubs, Georgiev) never really stole a game or two to be difference makers in a playoff series - which you really need sometimes.

I think this AVS team could win again with a goalie who's middle of the pack in the NHL but it's infinitely harder to do so with a bottom tier guy.

Let's face it - they got Kuemper at the right exact time AND made the correct decision to let him walk.

Reactions: ABasin and chet1926

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think there's a middle ground there between paying top dollar for a Top-10 goalie and what the Avs have been doing.

You can say that - their playoff exits haven't been due to goalie play which I kind of agree to a certain extent but at the same time these guys (Grubs, Georgiev) never really stole a game or two to be difference makers in a playoff series - which you really need sometimes.

I think this AVS team could win again with a goalie who's middle of the pack in the NHL but it's infinitely harder to do so with a bottom tier guy.

Let's face it - they got Kuemper at the right exact time AND made the correct decision to let him walk.
This is my feelings as well. It would be nice if the Avs found a guy that was simply more reliable than George/Grubauer type guys.

Not top tier elite guys, but a guy who has the ability to steal a game here and there and play semi consistently. Avs have to play fire wagon hockey way too often because whoever is in goal gives up 3+ on 20 shots. It's a tough way to play. A mid tier goalie helps this.

Unfortunately I think this year, at least the first few months, is going to be rough, with the current status of the team. We are really going to need a goalie to be reliable, make some extra saves, steal the occasional game, and I just don't think George or Annunen is that guy.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
The sad part is cMac has pretty much lost all leverage in negotiations with Rantanen's camp in waiting this long. The guy is 8 months away from 32 teams clawing over themselves to offer him as much money as possible.

Any contract Mikko accepts with the Avs now is going to horrible for the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad