Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So can someone explain to me why the f*** San Jose is doing favors for Edmonton?

Seriously there was absolutely no reason for San Jose to so generously take Ceci of their hands for basically nothing. Should have demanded a first or top prospect at minimum with Ceci. Edmonton had absolutely no leverage.

Oh they can flip him at the deadline for a pick, sure, but is that 3rd or 4th round pick worth bailing out Edmonton? Ceci on San Jose will be a train wreck he won't get them more than a 3rd if they are lucky.

Sucks that Edmonton created a mess and should have lost some reasonable young players and incompetent GMs just bail them out with absurd trades.
The conspiracy theorist in me says the league made some calls and found a sucker, er, willing partner to bail them out of cap hell. Probably not a great look for them when a team that was one win away from the Stanley Cup got caught with their pants down this offseason.

Honestly, I probably would've just let Holloway go and matched Broberg.

Reactions: chet1926

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I disagree to some extent.

A lot of it hinges on those two for sure, but IMO even with those two at 100%, our current roster wouldn't be cup contender ready. Would still need additional deadline help.
If you believe that with Landeskog AND Nuke at 100% the Avs are not a cup contender, then you might as well check out for a decade or two, until the next rebuild is on the upswing (maybe). This team will not get better than that. Prime window is over, we're in the 2nd phase of contending. I.e. we will not be a 1-3 contender with a near perfect line-up at the start of the season. This is impossible with the cap and the maturity of this team.

But I disagree, if the Avs find a way to fit both Lando and Nuke under the cap, then we are definitely in the conversation. Not THE favorite, but a cup contender. Mack-Rantanen-Lando-Mitts-Nuke-Drouin-Leky-Colton-LOC is definitely a top 9 worthy of cup consideration. And Makar-Toews-G-Manson is a good enough Top-4 to be worthy of cup consideration.

If we're back to blaming the 4th line and 3rd pair on D as reasons for not being good enough to win the Cup, then we're back to the sama narrative we had at the begining of the season when we won the Cup...

But the HUGE IFs in this equation are Landeskog and Nuchushkin.

Reactions: missionAvs

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Yup. Money is not an insignificant factor in this. Making 950K in the NHL vs making 80 something in the AHL.
Plus there is no reason Askarov should be an AHLer at this point, we are past that point.

At least have the guy as the backup, instead Nashville signed Wedgewood in the offseason. Completely reasonable that Askarov wants out.

Reactions: Murzu and Chiarelli

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
It should make zero difference to the Sharks how the Oilers season goes. They are not even real rivals and are not competing for a playoff spot.

3rd rounder + whatever Ceci brings at the deadline. That is much better than holding on to Ty Emberson.
+ you get a big I owe U from the Oilers. By the time the Sharks are in their contention window, the Oilers will be in their downswing and will be positioned to return the favor. When you think long term, it makes sense for the Sharks.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Ah the I don't like the poster so I'm going to disagree with their post, even though it's completely correct.

Askarov won't report to Nashville because he won't start....[snip]
Was this stated somewhere else, because all I saw was he wouldn't report to the AHL.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Obviously, the only way it would work for us is if Askarov is here to take Annunen’s spot.
Replacing him with Georgiev is WAY to risky. Not to say he won’t be better, but there has to be some type of feel that he can at least play 40+ games. Kid has 3 games played.

But he’s an ideal backup while we have a goalie on his last year. It’s quite perfect to bring him as the backup.

I also see close to zero reason for Nashville to trade him here.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ah the I don't like the poster so I'm going to disagree with their post, even though it's completely correct.

Askarov won't report to Nashville because he won't start. But he'd report to Colorado even though he wasn't going to start over George? Makes total sense. Yeah you could argue that he'd get more of a look here, but sure it sounds like he wants the starting gig from the get go which unless we trade George isn't going to happen here.

It's very clear he thinks he should be starting. Why would he report to any team where he wasn't going to be the clear cut starter? He wouldn't and most likely won't do so.

Nope... It's because you are flat out wrong.

There's nothing about Askarkov that has said he wants to be a starter. He doesn't want to be in the AHL and will not report to the AHL. I know you may not know this, but NHL teams do carry two goalies, one designated as a starter, and one designated as a backup.

Askarkov has shown nothing to suggest he isn't ok with being a backup. He just doesn't want anything to do with the AHL anymore.

Was this stated somewhere else, because all I saw was he wouldn't report to the AHL.
Nope. It is Chet making uo his usual nonsense. Either that or he's unaware that NHL teams carry 2 goalies.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Avs are a difficult trade partner.
The nhl roster has very little available to move or little to no value.
The picks and prospects are the same worthless or not much interest in moving out the younger potential elc guys.
Askarov would be good to slot in as the backup I just don’t see it happening.

Nashville has also put themself in a difficult spot signing Saros and using a high pick on this kid. They have to get value to save face but he’s really not worth a ton atm. Doubtful he plays well for them to up that value either at this point. There really is a sweet spot for these good not great goalies to be drafted and they took him too early imo.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Rangers. Shestyorkin and him were the tandem there and he didn't take it well. Not sure if that was the same year as the whole DeAngelo fisticuffs or not. Now, it worked out for the Rangers eventually since they landed on an elite young goalie, but Georgiev was not good (not terribly different than he has been for the Avs if we're being honest though).

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Nope... It's because you are flat out wrong.

There's nothing about Askarkov that has said he wants to be a starter. He doesn't want to be in the AHL and will not report to the AHL. I know you may not know this, but NHL teams do carry two goalies, one designated as a starter, and one designated as a backup.

Askarkov has shown nothing to suggest he isn't ok with being a backup. He just doesn't want anything to do with the AHL anymore.

Nope. It is Chet making uo his usual nonsense. Either that or he's unaware that NHL teams carry 2 goalies.
Wrong. Read between the lines. He wants NHL and he wants significant playing time not like 15-20 backup games. Maybe you convince him that George will be gone next year. But it kind of sounds like this guy wants a significant NHL role next season, which we can't offer without George being gone.

So why wouldn't Nashville just give him the backup job, if NHL is all he wants? f*** Wedgewood, just carry 3 goalies, or trade Wedgewood. It's not like they haven't already completely butchered this situation.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The Rangers. Shestyorkin and him were the tandem there and he didn't take it well. Not sure if that was the same year as the whole DeAngelo fisticuffs or not. Now, it worked out for the Rangers eventually since they landed on an elite young goalie, but Georgiev was not good (not terribly different than he has been for the Avs if we're being honest though).
That's not the same situation though. Georgiev wasn't a starter then, and he was pissed because he never really had a chance to become one. And he has never had a proper backup when he has been a starter, so we have no idea how that would work. Other than actually easing his workload.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Interesting. Hope Laine can get it together but I have my doubts regardless of team. He's exciting for sure when he's on and trying.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
IMG_0483.jpeg

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't think the Avs will get Askarov because Nashville isn't going to trade him to us having the same window, unless we want to overpay which imo would be something around Annunen + Behrens/Gulyayev + 1st.

I think Seattle could put up an enticing package of pieces that help now + future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad