Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I really don't think the Habs and their media is the best place for Laine to restart his career. Yikes
Meh, Laine has had no trouble playing for a big media market (yes, Winnipeg is big compared to most American teams). His issues has been his relationships with his teammates.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Meh, Laine has had no trouble playing for a big media market (yes, Winnipeg is big compared to most American teams). His issues has been his relationships with his teammates.

Winnipeg is a tiny market compared to Montreal. Nowhere near the same level of pressure or scrutiny.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Winnipeg is a tiny market compared to Montreal. Nowhere near the same level of pressure or scrutiny.
No denying that. But I don't think his issues (whatever they are) have anything to do with external pressure from the fans/media. Dealing with that has never been an issue for him.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't think it'll happen but I can't imagine a Georgiev/Askarov tandem would go well at all. George has already shown he doesn't like it when the backup is threatening his job.
Georgiev doesn't play well enough when he isn't being challenged for us to care about his feelings in this situation.
Maybe that's what he needs, some uncomfortability entering his contract year.
My fear is that the Avs will be giving Justus starts to see what they have in him. And I think they'll find a goalie who is much more stable but has a slightly lower ceiling. I actually think if Justus improves just a bit this season, and gets plenty of reps, I'd feel just as confident in him as I would in Georgiev. That being said, I'd love to dump Georgiev and end up with an Annunnen/ Askarov combo.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think Laine will do pretty well in Montral. Expecting a hat trick against the Leafs in their first meeting of the season, and Toronto media melting down

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That's an insane steal for Montreal. Other teams should be kicking themselves for not beating that.
Yeah. Though Laine had a 10 team NTC? So if he wanted just East-Coast for an example, not a whole lot of options there.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
That's an insane steal for Montreal. Other teams should be kicking themselves for not beating that.

Eh, I don't see any true contenders willing to take that deal on. So then you have the teams that either have young talent they may want to let develop or bad teams that just want to suck for draft position. Could Laine be a huge steal? Sure. Could he also play 40-50 games and be just okay? Also sure.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah. Though Laine had a 10 team NTC? So if he wanted just East-Coast for an example, not a whole lot of options there.
I don't think Laine really gave a shit where he went tbh, as long as he got out of Columbus. He can't tell Columbus he wants a fresh start and then also nix a bunch of trade partners too.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't think Laine really gave a shit where he went tbh, as long as he got out of Columbus. He can't tell Columbus he wants a fresh start and then also nix a bunch of trade partners too.
Laine himself? Probably not, but he also has a fiancée who might care. Who knows, maybe she's the reason he wanted out. Wouldn't have been the first player to leave Columbus because their spouse wanted somewhere else (Panarin).

But if that's not the case, you've gotta wonder why Anaheim, San Jose or Utah were not all over this.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Eh, I don't see any true contenders willing to take that deal on. So then you have the teams that either have young talent they may want to let develop or bad teams that just want to suck for draft position. Could Laine be a huge steal? Sure. Could he also play 40-50 games and be just okay? Also sure.
The 40-50 games is overblown. He's had a few fluke injuries and went into the player assistance program - don't get me wrong he's had a rough couple of years and was a bit of of an enigma prior, but I'd bet on him playing 65+ games and being near .75-1 PPG.

I get why teams weren't lining up for him, but when you get a 2nd and a potential 40 goal scorer for Jordan Harris... I donno what else to say.

Reactions: themilosh

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Absolutely no contenders should be taking that risk with the full contract. But there are plenty of teams in the spot Montreal is, who could've afforded to take on his full hit.

Holy this guy is Southern Alberta to the f***ing max lol.
When is that new Flames arena going to be ready? Asking with a slight concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad