Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Guhle is good, how good remains to be seen but that dude has been taking up a huge workload near as I can tell for the Habs, who overall aren't really all that consistent on defense or in goal. That's not a bad deal at all so long as he stays healthy.

AvsFan4

Jul 18, 2024
So who’s gonna be our ERod/Tatar late summer signing? Kevin LaBanc? Tyler Johnson? JVR? I’ve seen TMV/Evan calling for Lorentz. Nobody out there is really a huge asset or moves the needle that much, but it’s not a secret we can use any added depth. Especially when most of them could be had for cheap.

I personally think LaBanc could be worth a look while doing zero research on why the production wasn’t there last year besides the obvious of how bad SJ was. Can play both wings. Has some respectable, albeit brief playoff numbers.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So who’s gonna be our ERod/Tatar late summer signing? Kevin LaBanc? Tyler Johnson? JVR? I’ve seen TMV/Evan calling for Lorentz. Nobody out there is really a huge asset or moves the needle that much, but it’s not a secret we can use any added depth. Especially when most of them could be had for cheap.

I personally think LaBanc could be worth a look while doing zero research on why the production wasn’t there last year besides the obvious of how bad SJ was. Can play both wings. Has some respectable, albeit brief playoff numbers.
Kevin Labanc is a horrendous NHL player in 2024. Belongs in Europe or the AHL.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Labanc has one of the most interesting contract story in NHL history:

Last edited:

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Why aren’t we trading, signing, buying out, terminating people?

This is too slow…..offseason

Reactions: missionAvs

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He's insanely lucky the SJ GM at the time kept his word and gave him a bigger contract after Labanc took one for the team. That could have ruined his future earnings.
Yep...

For those who don't know the story:

ELC year 1: 20 pts
ELC year 2: 40 pts
ELC year 3: 56 pts

Time for a new contract but the Sharks have no cap space. They obviously want to keep their young player who keeps improving (even though advanced stats were saying it was not sustainable)...so they make a handshake deal: 20M over 5 years but for the first year, they'll sign him 1M X 1.

Problem is the first year he took a huge step back (as predicted by his advanced stats) and was no longer worth anywhere near that kind of money. Sharks honored the handshake anyway...and so for the following 4 years they got stuck with a 25-30 point winger making nearly 5M AAV.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Yep...

For those who don't know the story:

ELC year 1: 20 pts
ELC year 2: 40 pts
ELC year 3: 56 pts

Time for a new contract but the Sharks have no cap space. They obviously want to keep their young player who keeps improving (even though advanced stats were saying it was not sustainable)...so they make a handshake deal: 20M over 5 years but for the first year, they'll sign him 1M X 1.

Problem is the first year he took a huge step back (as predicted by his advanced stats) and was no longer worth anywhere near that kind of money. Sharks honored the handshake anyway...and so for the following 4 years they got stuck with a 25-30 point winger making nearly 5M AAV.
It's like looking in a portal into Drouin's future...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Labanc is kinda/sorta like another former Shark, Jonathan Cheechoo, a guy who wasn't big and wasn't fast but somehow had a monster year and (eventually) cashed in, but was never able to live up to the big contract he signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00