Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It is wildly early for that extension (pun intended)... but that is likely to work out in their Faber.

john-wall-outta-here.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Naw, they're not losing. They didn't want him long-term in the first place. But they have to keep him around a bit longer because they took too big a hit personnel-wise this offseason. Basically the divorce is still gonna happen, but Mom and Dad gotta hold off until the kids are in college. At least here there is the hope that Necas does well, helps the team and ups his trade value at the same time. Then someone else can blow their cap space on him.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Naw, they're not losing. They didn't want him long-term in the first place. But they have to keep him around a bit longer because they took too big a hit personnel-wise this offseason. Basically the divorce is still gonna happen, but Mom and Dad gotta hold off until the kids are in college. At least here there is the hope that Necas does well, helps the team and ups his trade value at the same time. Then someone else can blow their cap space on him.
For good players it's a tug of war battle between agents and GM's for the early UFA years. Teams obviously want to keep control while players want to become UFA ASAP.

When a team fails to buy the early UFA years along with the RFA years the agent wins. I'm not making this up, it comes directly from Pat Brisson.

That's how Matthews f***ed the Leafs with his first contract.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
For good players it's a tug of war battle between agents and GM's for the early UFA years. Teams obviously want to keep control while players want to become UFA ASAP.

When a team fails to buy the early UFA years along with the RFA years the agent wins. I'm not making this up, it comes directly from Pat Brisson.

That's how Matthews f***ed the Leafs with his first contract.
I'm aware of that, but you're applying the rule way too stringently. This buys the Canes time to (hopefully) maximize value on an asset while not having to commit $$$ and term to the guy, a guy they don't really want to keep long-term unless he actually does realize his full potential over the course of this bridge deal.

Just because a team doesn't buy UFA years doesn't mean they lose EVERY time. You treat every situation like this like it's an absolute disaster for the team, and it really isn't. If they wanted to buy those UFA years, they would've obviously had to up the $$$ part, and I don't think they did.

And the Matthews deal did not f*** the Leafs in the slightest. He was worth EVERY penny of that contract. It's the Marner deal that cost them dearly, and the next one will just be that final nail in the coffin.

Reactions: dahrougem2

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Supposedly mcgroarty, perfetti and a draft pick were offered for Necas..
What draft pick? 1st, 2nd, 6th?
Why wouldn't you take that deal?
I believe the deals the Canes were offered from teams like Winnipeg, (CBJ and BUF, iirc) which they accepted, would only happen if Necas signed a long-term contract, which he either wouldn't do or couldn't agree to terms with those specific teams.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I really hope this becomes the Nurse contact, because f*** the Mild
Unfortunately the Wild have their core players signed to some pretty nice deals (outside Kaprisov) for a long time and then they are getting a butt load of cap space with already a very nice prospect pool. We are going to have to deal with some success of the WIld right when our window is closing, which is a good time to go into hockey hibernation.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why wouldn't you take that deal?
It's probably because they're in win-now mode, but I absolutely do that deal easily. Both players are on the verge of greatness, and their impact will be greater than a singular piece in Necas, which Brind'amour doesn't even like playing to his strengths.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad