Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
And after 9 games Nuke will be gone again.

circle-of-life-popsptolqcwujdc2.gif
Like we'd be that lucky. Maybe after 9 playoff games. Avs really need to rid themselves of that liability, and fast.
1000037760.gif

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Like we'd be that lucky. Maybe after 9 playoff games. Avs really need to rid themselves of that liability, and fast.
View attachment 896213

Avs are going to be up 3-0 in the Cup finals with Nuke leading the way and being the clear Smythe candidate only for him to test positive for everything (the testing results will simply say “yes”), suspended for a year after that. Avs lose in a reverse sweep.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Ehhhhh I don't see it that way. Just because he could have gotten the max doesn't make him worth the max. He would have been overpaid by a lot had that happened.

I think he got a deal that wasn't an overpay but wasn't a discount. I also think he could have taken less to help the Avs build a better team, but that's not my money. By all means secure the bag but also understand with that comes expectations of carrying even more of the load, something he hasn't been able to help the Avs overcome in back to back postseasons.

What do you consider a lot? The max he could be making this year is $17.6M but he's $5M below that. You can take or leave Dom's model but that's one where there's an actual projected dollar figure and for MacKinnon he has his value at $16.5M. So by that one model, which you can disagree with, he's significantly underpaid.

Expecting NHL star players to take less than they deserve so their teams can go give the likes of Colton and Wood $7M/yr has become far too normalized. In some cases it has even become expected and people get mad when they don't. It's actually crazy how the NHL and its owners/teams have made it so there's both a max for how much a single player can make and all players are almost expected to take less than that. Matthews is best goal scorer we've seen since prime Ovechkin and he's currently being villainized while taking over $4M/yr less than the max. McDavid will be the same when he extends.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
What do you consider a lot? The max he could be making this year is $17.6M but he's $5M below that. You can take or leave Dom's model but that's one where there's an actual projected dollar figure and for MacKinnon he has his value at $16.5M. So by that one model, which you can disagree with, he's significantly underpaid.

Expecting NHL star players to take less than they deserve so their teams can go give the likes of Colton and Wood $7M/yr has become far too normalized. In some cases it has even become expected and people get mad when they don't. It's actually crazy how the NHL and its owners/teams have made it so there's both a max for how much a single player can make and all players are almost expected to take less than that. Matthews is best goal scorer we've seen since prime Ovechkin and he's currently being villainized while taking over $4M/yr less than the max. McDavid will be the same when he extends.
I think it goes both ways. I think players like MacKinnon can take less while also not giving the likes of Colton and Wood the money they're getting. There could be a happy medium, but hockey culture dictates that you "win with grit" and as such bottom sixers are valued much more than they should be.

You can't win in the NHL without depth, so unless stars take less than market value they usually aren't going to win championships despite a supposed desire to do just that.

You start running into major problems when you overpay for scrubs like Colton and Wood, no doubt. But stars also IMO should not be taking up exorbitant amounts of the cap in the ultimate team sport.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I think it goes both ways. I think players like MacKinnon can take less while also not giving the likes of Colton and Wood the money they're getting. There could be a happy medium, but hockey culture dictates that you "win with grit" and as such bottom sixers are valued much more than they should be.

You can't win in the NHL without depth, so unless stars take less than market value they usually aren't going to win championships despite a supposed desire to do just that.

You start running into major problems when you overpay for scrubs like Colton and Wood, no doubt. But stars also IMO should not be taking up exorbitant amounts of the cap in the ultimate team sport.

I think the point is that MacK could have easily asked for 14M AAV from the Avs with the same contract length and it would have been justified. Would it have aged well, probably not but the value is there and that's not even max AAV. He took a discount for sure IMO. Even at 14M AAV, he likely exceeds that contract value if you use Dom's model as @Avs_19 posted above.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the point is that MacK could have easily asked for 14M AAV from the Avs with the same contract length and it would have been justified. Would it have aged well, probably not but the value is there and that's not even max AAV. He took a discount for sure IMO. Even at 14M AAV, he likely exceeds that contract value if you use Dom's model as @Avs_19 posted above.
Sure, you can use Dom's value. Personally I think Dom's valuations are some of the dumbest things I have ever seen, so I don't bother using them.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
MacK could have asked for max money and the team would have no choice but to give it to him. Same with McDavid.

Reactions: missionAvs

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Sure, you can use Dom's value. Personally I think Dom's valuations are some of the dumbest things I have ever seen, so I don't bother using them.
At one time he said Girard was anywhere between 3-4M overpaid for an entire season. Come on man...I know there are haters out there but seriously, Girard should have been receiving JMFJ money over?

Unless he openly publishes everything that went into that stat, I've also come to the conclusion that they are pure horse pucky.

MacK could have asked for max money and the team would have no choice but to give it to him. Same with McDavid.
In both cases the players showed more knowledge of accounting than their respective GMs. I'm not suggesting that anyone from accounting being called up to take over, but I do think a larger financial break down of our plan for an ideal cap distribution should be rethought. While nobody is getting extremely overpaid, JD and Toews are the only discounts on the team.

The problem is that we are investing to heavily into players who are dependent upon one another. We are currently alloting 26.44% of the cap to Nate and Rants. If Rants was actually playing on the 2nd line I'm fine with that. Nate doesn't need a top 5 RW to succeed. Rant's next contract is pushing that up to ~30%. Toss in the fact that Cale and Toews are already eating up another roughly 19.28% of the cap and Makar is fixing to get a huge raise in a couple of yeras.

People complain of these guys TOI but the truth is, If Makar, Toews, MacK and the Moose are played exclusively together you really have no other choice than to ride them into the f'in ground. That's four players taking up 45.72 % of the cap. Those MF's better play 42% of the game in my opinion. Toews is the only one on a discount and all know Mikko and Cale are fixing to get a lot more expensive very shortly. With these players also entering the decline portion of their careers our window is closed the minute Mikko signs his next contract.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Kadri to Avs? So what do we do with Mitts? Put him at 3C and trade Colton? When this people report stuff, do they actually check the team roster, what do they need, how much cap space they have etc… Avs can’t afford Kadri and they just resigned Mitts to be the 2C. Where is the room for Kadri on the Avs?

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Kadri to Avs? So what do we do with Mitts? Put him at 3C and trade Colton?
Would dumping Colton's contract to any team willing to take it with no retention be either realistic or actually enough by itself to allow Kadri and Mitts to both co-exist on the team together?

Reactions: the_fan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah it doesn’t make any sense
Do you realize how absolutely thrilled I'd be to have a team where we have traded Nuke for whatever gives us the most cap space or best bang for the buck on the salaries we do take back. Then have Landeskog being capable of playing with either MacKinnon and JD or Kadri and Lehky. And then still have Mitts centering our third line. He can play the way Bednar wants his third line to play but he's also good enough that you might want to consider using an absolute defensive stud to help Mitts who is good defesnively but use the other wing to be a shoot first type of player capable of maximizing Mitt's playmaking abilities.

Being able to do so, would just be so freaking awesome. But it involves a lot dominoes falling in the right direction.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That article doesn’t even say Naz wants to go back to Avs. Pagnotta just said he thinks Naz might want to. Does he even know Avs already made a trade for Mittelstadt?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad