Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Everyone we draft we think about what he will project to become if he hits. But we know the vast majority of really good players and NHLers come in that 1st round.

Every now and then you get a gem or two outside the 1st and that is huge. Think about it, one or two lower picks that are top players is 1 or 2 out of the 10 guys that fill those spots.

While I thought we did not have so many blue chip prospects a couple years ago, I have thought we have an abundance of better than average longer shots to make it and even be top players. Guys like Struble, Engstrom, Heineman, Roy, Beck, Farrell , Konyushkov, the Xhekaj brothers and yes, Kapanen.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Everyone we draft we think about what he will project to become if he hits. But we know the vast majority of really good players and NHLers come in that 1st round.

Every now and then you get a gem or two outside the 1st and that is huge. Think about it, one or two lower picks that are top players is 1 or 2 out of the 10 guys that fill those spots.

While I thought we did not have so many blue chip prospects a couple years ago, I have thought we have an abundance of better than average longer shots to make it and even be top players. Guys like Struble, Engstrom, Heineman, Roy, Beck, Farrell , Konyushkov, the Xhekaj brothers and yes, Kapanen.

Plus Hutson and Fowler were outside the 1st round.

The good drafting is giving us more players than we'll be able to ice. Hopefully we know how to keep the good ones and trade the other for good pieces.

Reactions: Big Lurk

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Plus Hutson and Fowler were outside the 1st round.

The good drafting is giving us more players than we'll be able to ice. Hopefully we know how to keep the good ones and trade the other for good pieces.
Yes, the drafting philosophy and thereby the picks seem improved for sure, and then the kids are put into a better ( was there one before as both MT and Sly seemed put off by that concept ) development system.

Just to play on words, but I'm hoping we keep the really good ones and trade the ones that are " only" good.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
The Timra coach is playing him a ton, in pretty much every situations. I won't mind it nearly as much as I would have if he doesn't make the habs out of camp ( which he has very little chance of doing) and spends the season there. He won't be wasting his time.

that coach is none other than Olli Waffles Jokinen

gtQro.gif

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
The Timra coach is playing him a ton, in pretty much every situations. I won't mind it nearly as much as I would have if he doesn't make the habs out of camp ( which he has very little chance of doing) and spends the season there. He won't be wasting his time.
Yep. Great development year for him in Timra if he keeps up around that playtime.

SHL a bit stronger than SM Liiga also.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Kapanen's coach at Timra (Olli Jokinen) says that the plan is to use him as the 1C, use him on the PP and the PK. He even said that they have a contingency plan at Timra should Kapanen crack the Habs' line-up, which Jokinen believes he will.

Excited to finally see this player in Noryh America, even if it's only preseason, or rookie camp.

Anyone know if he is going to be at rookie camp?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Kapanen's coach at Timra (Olli Jokinen) says that the plan is to use him as the 1C, use him on the PP and the PK. He even said that they have a contingency plan at Timra should Kapanen crack the Habs' line-up, which Jokinen believes he will.
If ever there was a Habs prospect quietly flying under the radar it's Oliver Kapanen. Everyone talks about Beck making the jump (he might) but no one mentions Kapanen in the same breath.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's not going to rookie camp. Habs want him 100% for their main camp so looks like they're considering him for the main roster.
Would have been good for him to have gotten an earlier taste of the North American game I would have thought. I guess he's playing against higher competition right now anyways, so that may help more.

Reactions: Tyson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
When you see comments like this from his coach, it's very promising

Usually I don't take a player's coah's public comments seriously, because they always hype their players. But, I remember Koivu saying things like this about Lehkonen before camp one year when many thought Lehky would go back to Europe for another year. And sure enough, Lehkonen easily made the team.

Kapanen, Engstrom, and Bogdan are three players I'm cautiously getting excited about.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

The other notable is he said he already looks like one of the best players in the SHL and if he doesn't make Montreal, that he thinks he will legitimately be a top player in the SHL this year. Would be crazy.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
When does the SHL season/playoffs come to an end? Is there a possibility he comes and plays a couple of games after the TDL in March and April once Dvorak is gone?

With Dvorak and Evans right now, I'd rather he play 1st line minutes in the SHL than 3rd/4th line winger with 12min this season... but he's not an injury call up option then...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
When does the SHL season/playoffs come to an end? Is there a possibility he comes and plays a couple of games after the TDL in March and April once Dvorak is gone?

Timra's last game of the regular season is on March 11th. No date on when the playoffs end. It will obviously depend on how far Timra goes.

Last year, we were expecting Engstrom to join Laval when Rogle would be eliminated. They made it to the finals and he never came over because going deep in the SHL playoffs coincides with the end of the the NHL & AHL regular seasons.

With Dvorak and Evans right now, I'd rather he play 1st line minutes in the SHL than 3rd/4th line winger with 12min this season... but he's not an injury call up option then...

I agree that unless he comes to camp and really impresses forcing Habs to move one of Dvorak or Evans before the seasons starts, the best option for Kapanen is in the SHL, where he will play top line minutes and used in every situation.

As for injury call up options, there are Beck & Gignac.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Being hyped for a Timmins pick this late is weird.

His progression has been stellar, I remember being super underwhelmed early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad