Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Oliver Kapanen was able to make his professional hockey debut this season, playing five games for JoKP in the Mestis, the second division of Finnish hockey. He scored three goals and two assists for five points in that short loan. He also played for Kalpa’s junior team in the Finnish Under-20 league. In 37 games, Kapanen scored 25 goals and 16 assists for 41 points. He joined the Finnish Team at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He suffered a scary injury in the tournament but has recovered.

2021 NHL Draft #52: Oliver Kapanen Scouting Report

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
at the summer camp tournament he just played against Mysak, he was the 4th line center and his RW was Oliver Suni, a player I want the Habs to draft (former teammate of McShane) he was passed over last year but I would like to see us take a late round flyer on him.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Funny how his brother has almost no accent but Oliver has a typical finnish accent

Kasperi Kapanen is his cousin, no?

EDIT: Kasperi father played in NA while he was growing up. Oliver father never played in NA.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Will be very interesting to see where he plays next year, as you don't want him going back to the junior league since he just led his team in scoring. He did really well in what is their AHL, but only in 5 games. Hope he can at least get some time in with KalPa.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
This report makes it look like he is a big project with lots of holes to patch. Good bloodlines, so who knows. I was surprised to hear that he is not a fast skater, though, given those bloodlines.
Livestock breeders do it for a reason, even a small advantage is good. :)

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Such a Habs second rounder lol. They really love using second rounders on Lehkonens

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He reminds me of Lehkonen before being drafted when Lehkonen was still a goal scorer.

Yeah, that was the same impression I have of him.. I think there's a bit more natural goal scoring ability with Kapanen, but he doesn't have Lehkonen's tenacity and effort.

Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad