Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
You're starting to sound like Chet :laugh:

How many instances have you seen a guy taking a "discount" to stay? It isn't often, and the discount usually doesn't entail much money given up. Last occurrence I can recall of a guy literally taking a "hometown discount" for his real hometown team was Kevin Shattenkirk, and that contract ended in a buyout. I always laugh about how a lot of these older players over the years tell everyone how they were Leafs fans growing up, even offering up photographic evidence, and yet it still requires buckets of money to woo them.

There is a warped sense of value regarding what is a “discount”. It’s hard to judge them in the moment especially at the end of a stretch of an extremely stagnant salary cap. There’s no reason to expect players to sign for salaries that conform with the last years of a restrictive cap. Relative to Matthews, MacKinnon’s contract is already a “discount”.

Reactions: Alienblood

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
If Mikko leaves money on the table because he likes being in Colorado, good for the Avs I guess. But in fairness, I'd always chase the bag. Just like 99% of players do.
He will get paid a ton no matter what. Some players do take the biggest bag, but I expect some of them regret their greed afterwards. If the situation is already very nice and you will make 100M+ over your career regardless, will an extra million per year really make you that much happier?

And no not 99% of the players take the highest offer. There are wild contracts offered in free agency by desperate crappy teams, many no doubt take a bit less to go to a better situation.

Last edited:

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
He will get paid a ton no matter what. Some players do take the biggest bag, but I expect some of them regret their greed afterwards. If the situation is already very nice and you will make 100M+ over your career regardless, will an extra million per year really make you that much happier?

And no not 99% of the players take the highest offer. There are wild contracts offered in free agency by desperate crappy teams, many no doubt take a bit less to go to a better situation.
It's not that different from buying luxurious things in life. You're giving up money in order to gain happiness or comfort or whatever it is you want.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's not that different from buying luxurious things in life. You're giving up money in order to gain happiness or comfort or whatever it is you want.
Apparently once you reach ~50M adding more money doesn't affect your happiness. You can do whatever you want, whenever you want and your children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren will be taken care of.

I do believe that for many players getting more money is an ego boost though.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
You're starting to sound like Chet :laugh:

How many instances have you seen a guy taking a "discount" to stay? It isn't often, and the discount usually doesn't entail much money given up. Last occurrence I can recall of a guy literally taking a "hometown discount" for his real hometown team was Kevin Shattenkirk, and that contract ended in a buyout. I always laugh about how a lot of these older players over the years tell everyone how they were Leafs fans growing up, even offering up photographic evidence, and yet it still requires buckets of money to woo them.
1721494658904.png

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Apparently once you reach ~50M adding more money doesn't affect your happiness. You can do whatever you want, whenever you want and your children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren will be taken care of.

I do believe that for many players getting more money is an ego boost though.
Yeah it's like, your life with 50M is gonna be a lot like your life with 51M.

There is no reason to go too low though, at that point you're just getting taken advantage of by a rich hockey team owner.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I don't believe MacKinnon TRULY took a discount at 12.6. That's a ton of cap space for one player.

He earned it, no doubt, especially after being underpaid for what, 3 years? However, it severely hampers the depth of the team.

MacK could have gotten a max AAV contract if he wanted to. His contract also does affect our depth due to it essentially doubling.

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC
21 years ago, in 2003-04, Peter Forsberg made $11m in his final year of his first Avs stint.

That’s over $18m in today’s money.

Those were some wild times just before the cap came in.
The cap really screwed us more than other teams it would seem . Seeing Foppa and Foote forced basically to leave really sucked !

1721517680375.jpeg

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
MacK could have gotten a max AAV contract if he wanted to. His contract also does affect our depth due to it essentially doubling.
Of course he could have gotten a max AAV contract. He also could have signed for, say, 10M per and likely been just as financially stable as his current contract while allowing the Avs to sign another ~3rd line caliber forward to help win more hockey games.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No, he did not! And i'll die on that hill if i have to.
I don't believe MacKinnon TRULY took a discount at 12.6. That's a ton of cap space for one player.

He earned it, no doubt, especially after being underpaid for what, 3 years? However, it severely hampers the depth of the team.
Of course he could have gotten a max AAV contract. He also could have signed for, say, 10M per and likely been just as financially stable as his current contract while allowing the Avs to sign another ~3rd line caliber forward to help win more hockey games.

So we're in agreement that he took less to stay. In other words, a discount.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mack clearly took a discount. Give it another 2-3 years and he's going to be anywhere from $3-5M underpaid from what the highest paid players in the game are earning. By the time McDavid signs for ~$15-16M, and then Matthews chases the money at $16-17M a couple years after that.

The key is if Mack will be able to stay at an elite, Top 3 Center in the game level. Or if his play starts to dip which ends up balancing out just how great of a contract he's on compared to the other guys.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

If he could have shot for max AAV and settled for less, there's the discount. He had all the grounds in the world to ask for more and it would have been justified.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mack took the same kind of "discount" as Nuke and Landeskog (ie: they got the same money total but over 8 years instead of 7).

It doesn't really matter for them as they'll be 35+ when their contracts end anyway. In my book that's not a discount, that's just a convenience fee as you don't have to relocate somewhere else.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Mack took the same kind of "discount" as Nuke and Landeskog (ie: they got the same money total but over 8 years instead of 7).

It doesn't really matter for them as they'll be 35+ when their contracts end anyway. In my book that's not a discount, that's just a convenience fee as you don't have to relocate somewhere else.
So petulant and pitiful. Congrats.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So we're in agreement that he took less to stay. In other words, a discount.

If he could have shot for max AAV and settled for less, there's the discount. He had all the grounds in the world to ask for more and it would have been justified.
Ehhhhh I don't see it that way. Just because he could have gotten the max doesn't make him worth the max. He would have been overpaid by a lot had that happened.

I think he got a deal that wasn't an overpay but wasn't a discount. I also think he could have taken less to help the Avs build a better team, but that's not my money. By all means secure the bag but also understand with that comes expectations of carrying even more of the load, something he hasn't been able to help the Avs overcome in back to back postseasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad