Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Really wish the Avs could get some discounts on these long term deals. Rants was the first one who imo broke the mold and it just keeps coming with MacK, him again and prolly Makar. NHL teams can't sustain these types of star salaries and be a cup contender. And if we pay Rants that, while getting his form from last year, we're screwed.

Don't envy the position MF is in. Trade him and lose. Sign him and lose.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Jesse has yet to call anything of this significance, so I'm skeptical, but if Mikko is signing 12 months before he hits UFA we're all going to absolutely hate the contract.
There's been talk before this that Rants extension is top priority this summer.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Really wish the Avs could get some discounts on these long term deals. Rants was the first one who imo broke the mold and it just keeps coming with MacK, him again and prolly Makar. NHL teams can't sustain these types of star salaries and be a cup contender. And if we pay Rants that, while getting his form from last year, we're screwed.

Don't envy the position MF is in. Trade him and lose. Sign him and lose.
It's a case of "don't let perfect be the enemy of good". Ideally we wouldn't have three elite players we need to pay up for, but we do have them in this reality. It would be very unlikely that we could improve by having two strong players share that salary, because we don't have those two players in this reality. We can suggest trades that would do it, but we don't know the other GM would agree to them, so it's all just fantasy.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Naw, she'd be a Perry/Perron type who'd welcome that sort of shit. I admire the fact that she was made into a villain by the media because she just happened to throw Clark's "U Can't See Me" thing back in her face and she just shrugged her shoulders and leaned into it.
You may not watch the WNBA, as it seems most here don't, but watching her play some for LSU and in her first season as a pro, she definitely is shit talking and mean mugging constantly, especially if she scores a basket in traffic. She definitely has a chip on her shoulder, but she helped put it there. She was nearly as focused on becoming a brand (Bayou Barbie) as she was playing her sport in college, so it seems like she has some growth to go through yet. That list is silly, and it's hard enough to quantify talent in the same sport in different eras, much less combine them all and include both men and women. Where was Babe Diedriksen on the list?

Reese is hot. Clark looks like a bag of milk.
WNBA suxxxx
Reese kinda looks like one of the characters from Ice Age and Clark is an Iowa 7 thank you very much. But I don't care what people look like in sports unless it's Gabe.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
In fairness, you haven’t experienced playing for them for 9 years, winning a Stanley Cup, being paid handsomely and scoring 262 goals.

Some guys like their situations.

If Mikko leaves money on the table because he likes being in Colorado, good for the Avs I guess. But in fairness, I'd always chase the bag. Just like 99% of players do.

Reese kinda looks like one of the characters from Ice Age and Clark is an Iowa 7 thank you very much. But I don't care what people look like in sports unless it's Gabe.

Forget Reese and Clark, Kate Martin is the best story in the WNBA right now.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
She's awesome. I saw she got hurt the other day, looked bad. I only really care about the WNBA now because I was born a Hawkeye and watching them the last few years and what Clark can do was more exciting than any Iowa sports I'd ever watched, hoops and football included. Well, maybe Tory Taylor...

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
She's awesome. I saw she got hurt the other day, looked bad. I only really care about the WNBA now because I was born a Hawkeye and watching them the last few years and what Clark can do was more exciting than any Iowa sports I'd ever watched, hoops and football included. Well, maybe Tory Taylor...

I didn't know shit about women's basketball until Iowa starting making all that noise in the final four months ago. Kate Martin reminds me so much of a Gabe Landeskog on that Hawkeye team, and her draft day story is awesome.

I know Clark is going to be the Steph Curry of the WNBA but Martin is my fav player.

Reactions: Gumballhead

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
If Mikko leaves money on the table because he likes being in Colorado, good for the Avs I guess. But in fairness, I'd always chase the bag. Just like 99% of players do.

I don't have the stats, but I doubt its 99% of players that go to UFA instead of re-signing with their team. Especially if you only look at core players (already have a role in the team and are being paid). Someone could count the actual odds if they're bored.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
No matter how much the media seem to want to show it, it's still very easy to ignore women's football here. I'd assume the same goes for women's basketball in a country with a lot more for people to spend time on.
What I'm hearing is Aitana Bonmati over Zidane.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It's a case of "don't let perfect be the enemy of good". Ideally we wouldn't have three elite players we need to pay up for, but we do have them in this reality. It would be very unlikely that we could improve by having two strong players share that salary, because we don't have those two players in this reality. We can suggest trades that would do it, but we don't know the other GM would agree to them, so it's all just fantasy.

I don't know man. The Avs are paying their players full market value or more for all of their players other than LOC who is probably underpaid for how important of a cog he is in the bottom 6. I think it's piss poor negotiating or they really treat their players pretty poorly which is why nobody, I mean nobody takes a discount for the Avs.

Me too brethren. I really don't care about any flavor of basketball though. #ShortWhiteGuyTake
Man, I had to laugh. I absolutely fell in love with basketball in the late 70s/early 80s. The problem was back then I was made up of nothing but knees and elbows. I was so damn uncoordinated and constantly was constantly taking penalties for what they said was too much contact. :laugh: It truly was a case of me loving a sport but being so terrible at it that I even quit watching the sport. Probably the main reason why I lived in Alaska for over 20 years before actually buying a hockey stick.

For the record I still suck at hockey, but the guys I play with are cool because they are mostly doing it for the bonding and the workout. They'll put up with someone who is bad but is learning and showing some signs of improvement. Woo-hoo!!! I've become somewhat adapt at skating backwards! Aren't I special?

Reactions: UnkleKraker

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
A few months ago, at the peak of the trade Rantanen wave, the numbers thrown around to justify his trade were $13M - $14M, with a lot of "will be more than Mack's number".

Now we're seeing almost exclusively numbers that are below Mack's AAV. Is it simply different posters writing numbers or people have changed their expectations ?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You may not watch the WNBA, as it seems most here don't, but watching her play some for LSU and in her first season as a pro, she definitely is shit talking and mean mugging constantly, especially if she scores a basket in traffic. She definitely has a chip on her shoulder, but she helped put it there. She was nearly as focused on becoming a brand (Bayou Barbie) as she was playing her sport in college, so it seems like she has some growth to go through yet. That list is silly, and it's hard enough to quantify talent in the same sport in different eras, much less combine them all and include both men and women. Where was Babe Diedriksen on the list?
Yeah I've seen her play, she's most definitely got a GIANT chip on her shoulder, but in the end it's whatever motivates you. CC is a shit-talker too IIRC, which I have no problem with either.

But I don't care what people look like in sports unless it's Gabe.
This is the correct answer.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
A few months ago, at the peak of the trade Rantanen wave, the numbers thrown around to justify his trade were $13M - $14M, with a lot of "will be more than Mack's number".

Now we're seeing almost exclusively numbers that are below Mack's AAV. Is it simply different posters writing numbers or people have changed their expectations ?
Should be interesting to see. I'm unsure what the number would be, but I'd love to see the Avs work out a team-friendly contract, since the Avs need them badly right now. Anything more than MacKinnon would really hurt them imo.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
BREAKING NEWS: ESPN does not give a f*** about hockey. It's readily apparent in their game presentation. They literally took their best PxP guy off the Stanley Cup Playoffs to call meaningless baseball games.

That said, the WNBA is enjoying a massive surge in popularity at exactly the right time. And unlike the idiots running the NHL, they appear to have people in charge who know how to market their stars properly. The infusion of hyped-up talent from this year's draft has really raised the overall profile of the league.

Most of the time these lists are made with the implicit purpose of garnering outrage, which leads to more clicks and more exposure. I wouldn't pay it much mind, but also, this is the difference between a league that actually knows how to put their brand new generational talent front and center, and a league that doesn't.

I'm guessing that someone was you, and it wasn't remotely similar.
The only thing ESPN cares about is ESPN.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The only thing ESPN cares about is ESPN.
Oh no, they have their asses firmly planted on the NFL's collective ass. They literally killed their first and only foray into original television--a super-chintzy but still-fun show--because Roger Goodell didn't like the way it portrayed professional football as the rampantly corrupt institution that it is.

They've also pitched the journalists who made them overboard in favor of loudmouths like Stephen A. Smith and Pat McAfee who just blather about sports without any real knowledge of them.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
I don't know man. The Avs are paying their players full market value or more for all of their players other than LOC who is probably underpaid for how important of a cog he is in the bottom 6. I think it's piss poor negotiating or they really treat their players pretty poorly which is why nobody, I mean nobody takes a discount for the Avs.

Man, I had to laugh. I absolutely fell in love with basketball in the late 70s/early 80s. The problem was back then I was made up of nothing but knees and elbows. I was so damn uncoordinated and constantly was constantly taking penalties for what they said was too much contact. :laugh: It truly was a case of me loving a sport but being so terrible at it that I even quit watching the sport. Probably the main reason why I lived in Alaska for over 20 years before actually buying a hockey stick.

For the record I still suck at hockey, but the guys I play with are cool because they are mostly doing it for the bonding and the workout. They'll put up with someone who is bad but is learning and showing some signs of improvement. Woo-hoo!!! I've become somewhat adapt at skating backwards! Aren't I special?
Pretty much the same for me. I grew up in a suburb outside St Louis and it was known for 20 goal scorers. I only played baseball as a kid but my Dad and uncle watch the Blooz mostly for the Plager bros. That might have been where the seeds were originally planted. After moving to the Seattle area I took in Thunderbirds (WHL) games with an old girlfriend. I was instantly hooked like no other sport. Took my wife (then girlfriend) and she loved it too. The die was cast as they say.

On the Bball topic, while I don't care for it, I really hope some iteration of the Supersonics returns to Seattle. The fans are passionate about it and wear the jersey everywhere. I hope they do it old school when they do it.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You're starting to sound like Chet :laugh:

How many instances have you seen a guy taking a "discount" to stay? It isn't often, and the discount usually doesn't entail much money given up. Last occurrence I can recall of a guy literally taking a "hometown discount" for his real hometown team was Kevin Shattenkirk, and that contract ended in a buyout. I always laugh about how a lot of these older players over the years tell everyone how they were Leafs fans growing up, even offering up photographic evidence, and yet it still requires buckets of money to woo them.

• Haha
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad