Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Jenner double retained allows you to add Drouin at $4.25m and still ice a 22 man roster, as shown in this AGM:

Boone Jenner still has too much mentoring to do with the CBJ to even consider moving to another team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Just think of what the Avs may have accomplished in the playoffs the last 3-4 years had they not held onto the 1st round picks used on Kaut, Olausson, Jost etc. At least they traded Barron and Newhook before their values dropped.

The Mittelstadt contract and aging core gives this team a 3 year window during which every non roster piece should be on the table to get max value from the roster and cap space.
It has been something that has driven me crazy prior to winning the Cup and after winning the Cup. The Avs has simply not pushed hard enough overall. The certainly did in 22, and they had to given the contract and cap situation that was present. I'll argue they did this past year with the moves they made, it just didn't happen to work. 20, 21, and 23 they didn't do nearly enough to support the NHL team.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Just think of what the Avs may have accomplished in the playoffs the last 3-4 years had they not held onto the 1st round picks used on Kaut, Olausson, Jost etc. At least they traded Barron and Newhook before their values dropped.

The Mittelstadt contract and aging core gives this team a 3 year window during which every non roster piece should be on the table to get max value from the roster and cap space.
Still kind of shocking they kept both 1st rounders last year. I know the trade market was very stagnant and all, but there must have been something out there that would have improved the team.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
He does NOT play the type of game that Bednar wants out his bottom-6...and plopping him in to a role that he is a) not suited for, and b) has never faced NHL competition at, is a surefire way of destroying his development.
You're not exactly wrong, but I'm thinking Bednar sure is.

He's got a plan, but the problem is he can't adjust it when he doesn't have the perfect horses to run it. That's eventually going to be his downfall here...his refusal to adapt as the players change and get older.

If the Avs give up Ross, they're going to need someone to play 3C and sure as hell shouldn't be Wagner. I wouldn't mind Landy centering him for the first half of the year, but I don't think Landy will be up for nearly that amount of skating right away. I just think it would be stupid to trade Ross only to have to sign someone to replace him. The Avs have a dwindling supply of assets and need to be very cautious about how they get spent.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's a bit of a risky contract. If Joshua plays like he did last year, it is a solid contract. If he regresses, that could be a buyout in 2 years.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Weren't some people still putting Olausson into mock lineups a season or two ago.

Outside of Sakic fleeing Ottawa for the Byram pick (which didn't even amount to much)

2020 looks like the best draft of the surrounding five years. Barron Foudy and Aman. A solid prospect who was the main piece for Lehkonen, an AHL tweener, and a fourth liner for another team.

Good work on the drafting!

Reactions: CaleMakaw

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You're not exactly wrong, but I'm thinking Bednar sure is.

He's got a plan, but the problem is he can't adjust it when he doesn't have the perfect horses to run it. That's eventually going to be his downfall here...his refusal to adapt as the players change and get older.

If the Avs give up Ross, they're going to need someone to play 3C and sure as hell shouldn't be Wagner. I wouldn't mind Landy centering him for the first half of the year, but I don't think Landy will be up for nearly that amount of skating right away. I just think it would be stupid to trade Ross only to have to sign someone to replace him. The Avs have a dwindling supply of assets and need to be very cautious about how they get spent.

I think there is a really solid case to be made that Bendar has to change his tactics given the fiscal reality of the team. I'll believe he changes when I see it though.

On Landy, I just can't see it. His whole experience as a full time center was basically during the lockout for a bit and when he was 14/15. Expecting him to be able to pull that off, especially when he's had 2 years away from the game is just asking way, way too much.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Weren't some people still putting Olausson into mock lineups a season or two ago.

Outside of Sakic fleeing Ottawa for the Byram pick (which didn't even amount to much)

2020 looks like the best draft of the surrounding five years. Barron Foudy and Aman. A solid prospect who was the main piece for Lehkonen, an AHL tweener, and a fourth liner for another team.

Good work on the drafting!
People do that, but they do it with all prospects. It was pretty clear in OO's +1 that there were major issues in his game. I don't expect many people to actually watch and evaluate prospects... but anybody slotting him in was misguided. He sucks.

With any draft, the results are what matters. There are some signs that there has been some improvement, but we also have a lot more of the same happening too. With Barron, the Avs at least capitalized on an asset in a push for the Cup before the value started to dwindle. When those series of trades happened... many people said Barron wouldn't be traded and that he was untouchable right before it happened. Hindsight 20/20 it was definitely the correct move to trade him. Which is a lesson that should be learned from with a number of prospects.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Speaking of trades will Helleson ever play in the NHL? Main piece in the Manson trade.

Why do we suck so much at drafting? :laugh:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I know folks really like Dowd, but McMicael from Washington would be my target.
He sucks at faceoffs like many younger guys, but he's fast, PKs and has potential to be a 3C.
I liked watching him play this year.

Strome/PLD/Lapierre/Dowd is still a good spine for Washington.

Reactions: Chiarelli

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Speaking of trades will Helleson ever play in the NHL? Main piece in the Manson trade.

Why do we suck so much at drafting? :laugh:
Already has, and yeah he will. Probably will spend most of the year in the AHL next year, but I'd expect a 10-15 game audition and priming him for full time in 25-26.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I wonder if, now that the Bruins have Kastelic, do they move on from John Beecher. I feel like there's a legit 4th line C there. Big guy, wins faceoffs, but in his first full season in Boston got absolutely destroyed in terms of shot share.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
People do that, but they do it with all prospects. It was pretty clear in OO's +1 that there were major issues in his game. I don't expect many people to actually watch and evaluate prospects... but anybody slotting him in was misguided. He sucks.

With any draft, the results are what matters. There are some signs that there has been some improvement, but we also have a lot more of the same happening too. With Barron, the Avs at least capitalized on an asset in a push for the Cup before the value started to dwindle. When those series of trades happened... many people said Barron wouldn't be traded and that he was untouchable right before it happened. Hindsight 20/20 it was definitely the correct move to trade him. Which is a lesson that should be learned from with a number of prospects.

I don't really follow prospects as closely but when guys are looking very average in the AHL (OO) and terrible if they do make a few NHL games (Kaut) it should be obvious.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Could we not just trade for JGP at 50% retained? The buyout cost is almost identical in terms of cap fit for the first 2 years and then carry’s an additional $1.25m cap hit for 2 years after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad