Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That isn't awful at all... Only 2 years that would be especially rough.

And btw, if we terminate we are very likely getting hit with a penalty that ends up being very similar long term.

A buyout would easily be the best course of action if the Avs feel like they have a 2-3 year window left with this core(Which IMO the Mittelstadt deal at least hints at management thinking this way).
Cap is going up, plus the Avs are going to be dog shit by the time 2028 rolls around.

Now that Mitts is only signed for three years, it's time to roll hard on this next season before Mikko kills them.

FTR, I don't think there's a chance in hell the Avs buyout Nuke. But I would, if I couldn't offload his contract somehow.
Those four years with 3 and 5mil hits are pretty bad, considering we probably still try to contend during those years.

I would rather roll the dice with him again, if that's the alternative.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Those four years with 3 and 5mil hits are pretty bad, considering we probably still try to contend during those years.

It's getting pretty clear that he's going to play again for the Avs and they will welcome him back in November. All the alternatives suck and now that Mack said that he can't wait to play with him again we have no reason to believe that it won't be the case.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

The 3 million cap hit isn't terrible. The 5 hurts, but by that point MacKinnon is 32, Rantanen (if we have him) is 31, Toews is dead, Landy is retired, Makar should still be mostly fine. That team very likely isn't seriously competitive.

I'd rather throw the chips in now and put your best foot forward to winning while you can. Nuke would be that, if you could trust him at all - but you can't.

But, yeah, based on MacKinnon's latest comments, I'd be shocked if the Avs don't bring Nuke back and hope he doesn't threepeat.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
The 3 million cap hit isn't terrible. The 5 hurts, but by that point MacKinnon is 32, Rantanen (if we have him) is 31, Toews is dead, Makar should still be mostly fine. That team very likely isn't seriously competitive.

I'd rather throw the chips in now and put your best foot forward to winning while you can.

But, yeah, based on MacKinnon's latest comments, I'd be shocked if the Avs don't bring Nuke back and hope he doesn't threepeat.
We better lock him in his hotel room with security guards standing outside in the playoffs.

Reactions: Ararana

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

3M really isn't bad at all. The cap for those two years would likely be ~$96M in the first year, $100M by the second year. We're talking about a 3% cap penalty essentially. Would absolutely be manageable.

Years 5 and 6 would be the harder years to manage. But here's the thing: By year 5, Mack is 33, Cale is 30, Landy is 35, Toews is 35, Mikko is 32.

We aren't contending at that point. Hell we probably aren't even a playoff team at that point.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
BTW if the Avs bought out Nuke... They could likely afford both Drouin and Skinner. Drouin at ~$3.5M, Skinner at ~$2.5M would look like:

Drouin(3.5) - Mack(12.6) - Mikko(9.25
Lehky(4.5) - Mitts(5.75) - Skinner(2.5)
Landy(7.0) - Colton(4.0) - LOC(1.05)
Wood(2.5) - ???? - Kovalenko(0.9)
Wanger(0.8)

Toews(7.25) - Makar(9.0
Girard(5.0) - Manson(4.5)

Georgiev(3.4)
Annunen(0.85)

That group would be about ~$84.3M leaving ~$3.9M for the remaining 3 or 4 roster spots depending on how many extra skaters they wanted to carry.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
It's getting pretty clear that he's going to play again for the Avs and they will welcome him back in November. All the alternatives suck and now that Mack said that he can't wait to play with him again we have no reason to believe that it won't be the case.
Is there a clip or quote of this? I somehow missed this completely.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Is there a clip or quote of this? I somehow missed this completely.
os9v3Ds.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad