Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Yeah give me Skinner at like $2.5M over Drouin all day.

You can stick Skinner on a line with Mitts and Lehky. And then put 9296 back together again!

They are not the same player.

Skinner a better goal scorer, Drouin a better playmaker. Equally good skaters.

Where there's a massive difference is the play away from the puck. Skinner is one of the biggest floaters in the league and genuinely doesn't give a shit about his own zone or when his team doesn't have the puck. Drouin was a puck hound all season long for us, and let's be honest, an ELITE two-way player.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
They are not the same player.

Skinner a better goal scorer, Drouin a better playmaker. Equally good skaters.

Where there's a massive difference is the play away from the puck. Skinner is one of the biggest floaters in the league and genuinely doesn't give a shit about his own zone or when his team doesn't have the puck. Drouin was a puck hound all season long for us, and let's be honest, an ELITE two-way player.
Devil's advocate here, and really this is just to spark discussion, but Drouin hadn't ever really displayed last season's two-way effort level in his career before, at least not as sustained as it was after his somewhat rocky start. An argument could be made that he knew he was "playing for his life" in the NHL, and thus he bought in.

Who's to say that effort level remains if he gets some decent term & money?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Anyways, LOL at thinking Jeff Skinner, the Toronto native who's spent his entire career in the Eastern Conference, entertains paddling on down the Colorado River.

We always do this. Every summer, every TDL. Think we are a desirable destination only to be hurt when the player inevitably goes elsewhere.

Unless you have ties to the players or the organization, nobody... wants... to... play... in... Denver.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Anyways, LOL at thinking Jeff Skinner, the Toronto native who's spent his entire career in the Eastern Conference, entertains paddling on down the Colorado River.

We always do this. Every summer, every TDL. Think we are a desirable destination only to be hurt when the player inevitably goes elsewhere.

Unless you have ties to the players or the organization, nobody... wants... to... play... in... Denver.
Can't we just have a day, hell, a single morning, where we can be hopeful.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

Except in Skinners case, we are talking about a player who has played 14 years and 1000 games in the NHL. And has never even made the playoffs. Odds are, we are going to have a better chance at the Cup than Toronto.

Now are we better than some other teams beside Toronto? Maybe not...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

In this case, we do. We have Landy as his junior teammate, roommate, and friend. Well known friendship and chemistry with Mittelstadt (who he'd likely play with again).

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Yeah every year it's the same crap around here, completely unrealistic wants and then huge blowups when player X doesn't sign or get traded to Colorado.

Realistically all I'm expecting is Drouin re-signing, but also wouldn't be shocked if he didn't re-sign. Maybe a Colton trade, if Drouin comes back. Then a bunch of low level moves, of which we probably won't like most.

We're completely handcuffed this year, don't know why people seem to keep glossing over the $13-14M problem. This is going to make it virtually impossible to do really much of anything.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Keep getting everybody’s hopes up.

He will sign with the Rangers or something like that. Mark my words now.
I think the odds are high that he'll end up in Toronto... but this is not dissimilar from Drouin/MacK. Except we have Landy and Mitts with Mitts and Skinner having proven NHL chemistry. If Skinner wants to play in the playoffs, rebound his value, and go to a place where he knows he'll fit in the locker room and culture.. the Avs will be high on that list.

Additionally MacK and Skinner were on the same line in the 2017 Worlds where they got a silver.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Keep getting everybody’s hopes up.

He will sign with the Rangers or something like that. Mark my words now.
Brooksie just doubled down on the fact that the Rangers are after Kane. They are probably after 1 top-6 winger, but their more pressing issue is fixing the defence. So I doubt they are after Skinner.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Brooksie just doubled down on the fact that the Rangers are after Kane. They are probably after 1 top-6 winger, but their more pressing issue is fixing the defence. So I doubt they are after Skinner.

Okay, I randomly picked the Rangers as an Eastern Conference “contender.”

You win.

He’s coming to Denver. Plan the parade.

Reactions: missionAvs

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Lehkonen/Landy - Mitts - Skinner

Probably have to buy out Nuke to make it work but do it. All the centers get to be happy.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If you can get Skinner for $2m, there's a chance that nobody has to be traded and both Nuke and Landy fit. Drouin clearly has to walk in that case, but possible.
Oh, if they get him for $2 million then yes, get him!

I was going off an old article, so if his even strength numbers are better than that suggested then I'm all for bringing him in.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Probably have to buy out Nuke to make it work but do it. All the centers get to be happy.
The buyout for Nuke is awful. Just AWFUL. Not going to happen.
Capture.JPG

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Oh, if they get him for $2 million then yes, get him!

I was going off an old article, so if his even strength numbers are better than that suggested then I'm all for bringing him in.
They aren't buying him out because he's good, they don't even need the cap space.

BTW Sabres would be on the hook for 6 years for Skinner and this buyout would cost them nearly 20M.

CVRSQsM.png

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
View attachment 887606

That isn't awful at all... Only 2 years that would be especially rough.

And btw, if we terminate we are very likely getting hit with a penalty that ends up being very similar long term.

A buyout would easily be the best course of action if the Avs feel like they have a 2-3 year window left with this core(Which IMO the Mittelstadt deal at least hints at management thinking this way).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
View attachment 887606

When the cap is ~100m, 3m is manageable with a buyout. The two 5m seasons are the rough ones. If Nuke is 'bought out' thought I'd expect a termination and settlement where the Avs get a 1.5-2m hit for the remaining term.

They aren't buying him out because he's good, they don't even need the cap space.

BTW Sabres would be on the hook for 6 years for Skinner and this buyout would cost them nearly 20M.

CVRSQsM.png
That's the cap hit, the cost is a touch under 15m.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
View attachment 887606

Cap is going up, plus the Avs are going to be dog shit by the time 2028 rolls around.

Now that Mitts is only signed for three years, it's time to roll hard on this next season before Mikko kills them.

FTR, I don't think there's a chance in hell the Avs buyout Nuke. But I would, if I couldn't offload his contract somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad