Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm still far more interested in what they do with Nichushkin.

He's obviously a really good player, quite frankly elite, when he's playing. But at this point that trust has to be broken between he and the Avs.

There's a few contracts around the league that are probably bad contracts but at least give you decent players that you can at least rely upon to be around when things matter.

For example, Jarry could probably be had for "free" right now. Skinner and Kotkaniemi are buyout candidates and/or trade candidates. Laine.

Would the Avs consider trading Nuke in some sort of deal for one of these guys? Obviously on a Skinner or Laine you'd want retention. But for the other teams, they'd get to move a contract they want to move, and get a guy in return that has a chance to have a real impact for them if he can clean it up off the ice. Could be a risk worth taking for another team, and if he doesn't clean himself up, his next strike could be his last one and then his contract is terminated and you're off the hook.

But like... Nichushkin for Laine @50% retention, would either team do it? Or Buffalo with Skinner @50% retention for Nuke. Or something like Nuke + Georgiev for Jarry + Smith(@50%).

Does either team make those type of moves. The PLD trade earlier and with supposedly other teams interested in PLD suggests to me there's an appetite for teams to take on these high risk/high reward players right now.

I think if he can play they'll keep him. Basically meaning it's up to him..

Mack does not seem like someone who would comment in any way if he knew Nuke was not coming back. His comment standing behind Nuke tells me it's up to Nuke.

We know Mack, Landy, Mikko and Makar have influence and are consulted. I also think anyone part of the core of that cup team is going to have special consideration.

The way Nuke plays is also sort of the identity of the team. If there is a chance to see Nuke and Landy playing again at the same time I think they're going to take it.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I’d be interested in signing Kotkaniemi for cheap if he’s bought out and maybe doing something around Colton for Kaako.

Landy-Mack-Drouin
Lehky-Mitts-Rant
Wood-kotka-Kaako
Kovalenko-4C-LOC

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Id be surprised if they move him but i think its right call. Move him for picks, then use those at the deadline to bring in a comparable rental 3c with the idea ritchie takes that spot the following season. 3c will be important in the playoffs but should be fine in regular season without a good one. It makes sense to prioritize long term fits and hopefully ritchie is good enough where colton doesnt fit after this year

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I just think it’s hard to justify moving Colton just cause.

At some point the Avs are gonna need to move somebody. Unless you let Drouin walk and punt on any depth. I think if your being realistic somebody should be getting traded.

It'll come down to the pro scouts landing another hit or at the very least a player who's passable. It'll be a similar conversation no matter where the gamble is. I'd probably lean towards G/Manson but Colton would be a close 3rd.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
At some point the Avs are gonna need to move somebody. Unless you let Drouin walk and punt on any depth. I think if your being realistic somebody should be getting traded.

It'll come down to the pro scouts landing another hit or at the very least a player who's passable. It'll be a similar conversation no matter where the gamble is. I'd probably lean towards G/Manson but Colton would be a close 3rd.

It makes a lot of sense if they actually have faith in Manson. It's difficult to agree with, but hopefully injuries are something the organization has learned from.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I’m up for Kotka, but just as cheap depth. Ideally he finds his game a bit and he and Colton can flip flop who’s at C
I’d be interested in signing Kotkaniemi for cheap if he’s bought out and maybe doing something around Colton for Kaako.

Landy-Mack-Drouin
Lehky-Mitts-Rant
Wood-kotka-Kaako
Kovalenko-4C-LOC
Will Ismo approve Kotkaniemi signing though?

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Lol Carolina wants to buy out Kotka because he is an overpaid horrendous C who can't beat out a like 40 year old S, but yep we should bring him in here because he might be cheaper than Colton, yep that's is some sound logic. Colton is a much better player and the savings won't be enough to make it worth it. Some bad team trying to make the cap floor will pay Kotka at least 3M.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It is the standard young guy who we think can be a starter contract that is given out normally at this time. IMO his injury risk is the main issue compared to the talent. Woll can play, he's just injured all the time.

Lol, why? Even if he has a good season, he won't get much more as an RFA.
It buys two years of UFA vs arbitration giving one year at a similar rate then facing UFA where $6m is on the table for any starting level goalie. That's the whole thought process.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Feel like that contract will look great for the Leafs as early as next season.
As stated he's talented just an injury risk.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
It is the standard young guy who we think can be a starter contract that is given out normally at this time. IMO his injury risk is the main issue compared to the talent. Woll can play, he's just injured all the time.

It buys two years of UFA vs arbitration giving one year at a similar rate then facing UFA where $6m is on the table for any starting level goalie. That's the whole thought process.
I didn't realize he was that close to UFA. Makes more sense.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I didn't realize he was that close to UFA. Makes more sense.
Yeah he will be 26 in a couple weeks, and he has one more year left on this contract. So the first year of this deal will be when he's practically 27 (though he's 26 July 1, 2025 so still a RFA for that season).

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Feel like that contract will look great for the Leafs as early as next season.
As stated he's talented just an injury risk.

He's a Toronto Maple Leafs goaltender.

The future is inevitable:

- Scapegoat when they lose again
- Injured at the worst times
- They will need to acquire 1-2 other goalies during his contract
- Begging teams to take him / paying to get rid of him in a couple of years

Reactions: Murzu

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
We want to trade (up to 3) prime futures for a guy who in my limited viewings is a [not great] skater?
I thought we didn't like them types in these parts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad