Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Ritchie, Gulyayev, our 1sts...
The combination of Mitts' arrival, and Bednar's steadfast policy of 3rd line grinders, Ritchie ends up in no man's land. He's not the correct 3C for Bednar, and he is unlikely to displace Mitts any time soon. He should absolutely be in play for a trade.

McG apparently plays C as well. There might be something in Landy - McG - LOC as a 3rd line. From what I can read in scouting reports, he'd be a better fit there than Ritchie. That would free CMac to try to move Colton.

Or:

Move Colton for a 1st, take that 1st, our 2025 1st and Gulyayev and trade that package for McG. Both firsts would be pretty late, but that would be giving 3 first rounders to Winnepeg. And it would keep Ritchie in the fold, in case CMac gets really clever and moves Mikko for a haul. Having Ritchie and McG on ELCs would certainly ease the pain of whatever cap penalty awaits for terminating Nuke.

I hate the idea of emptying the cupboard / cubbard but if the kid could actually play 3C, that would help with cap space, likely be an improvement over Colton, and give Bednar a player who might be able to move to wing when injuries occur ( really, the same as Colton but $3M cheaper, for now.)

Last time I say this: I do not think the Avs can win a cup with Mac at $12.6 and Mikko at $12.5 ( or $13+.) That said, if Ritchie stays, and McG can be obtained

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We gotta stop looking for players that fit Bednar's preferred playing style for the bottom six. Get as many talented players as possible.

We all seemingly forget this team won its Stanley Cup with a 3rd line of Newhook/NAK-Compher-Burakovsky.

Reactions: MacKaRant

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
None of that alone gets close. Also doesn't meet the needs of Winnipeg. If this kid gets traded, it will be for a young top4 D.
Lmao what?

He's a good prospect but he's not Celebrini either. He's not a guaranteed star, hell not even a guaranteed NHLer. And he's forcing his way out of Winnipeg. So they aren't going to get max value out of the situation.

Ritchie would be a damn good piece for them to get in return.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The combination of Mitts' arrival, and Bednar's steadfast policy of 3rd line grinders, Ritchie ends up in no man's land. He's not the correct 3C for Bednar, and he is unlikely to displace Mitts any time soon. He should absolutely be in play for a trade.

McG apparently plays C as well. There might be something in Landy - McG - LOC as a 3rd line. From what I can read in scouting reports, he'd be a better fit there than Ritchie. That would free CMac to try to move Colton.

Or:

Move Colton for a 1st, take that 1st, our 2025 1st and Gulyayev and trade that package for McG. Both firsts would be pretty late, but that would be giving 3 first rounders to Winnepeg. And it would keep Ritchie in the fold, in case CMac gets really clever and moves Mikko for a haul. Having Ritchie and McG on ELCs would certainly ease the pain of whatever cap penalty awaits for terminating Nuke.

I hate the idea of emptying the cupboard / cubbard but if the kid could actually play 3C, that would help with cap space, likely be an improvement over Colton, and give Bednar a player who might be able to move to wing when injuries occur ( really, the same as Colton but $3M cheaper, for now.)

Last time I say this: I do not think the Avs can win a cup with Mac at $12.6 and Mikko at $12.5 ( or $13+.) That said, if Ritchie stays, and McG can be obtained

Yeah I tend to agree with this thinking in some ways. Ritchie feels like he's in an awkward spot with this roster now. Not really an ideal 3C especially with what Bednar wants from a 3C.

I will say, Mittelstadt or Ritchie ultimately could end up shifting to a wing. I believe Mitts spent a decent chunk of time at LW in Buffalo, Ritchie also probably starts at RW in the NHL anyway.

Ritchie would give the Jets a guy they can be patient with for another year like they seem to want to be doing with Rutger, and still get a high end prospect with Top 6 Center upside.

That second package would be way too much IMO.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
I'm sure no one has thoughts about poehling since I throw out names a lot. But what about him and zamula for Colton and 26 1st. He's got two years at 1.9, a third line of Gabe poehling LOC. I suggested York as well but a CF poster said no. So I don't know much about zamula. The two years buys us a cheap 3c and Ritchie two more development years.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Lmao what?

He's a good prospect but he's not Celebrini either. He's not a guaranteed star, hell not even a guaranteed NHLer. And he's forcing his way out of Winnipeg. So they aren't going to get max value out of the situation.

Ritchie would be a damn good piece for them to get in return.
Shades of “If you want Drouin, it’ll cost you Rantanen”.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Move Colton for a 1st, take that 1st, our 2025 1st and Gulyayev and trade that package for McG. Both firsts would be pretty late, but that would be giving 3 first rounders to Winnepeg.
No offense, this is perhaps the craziest proposal I've read in quite awhile. Three (3!) first-rounders for McGroarty. Dude doesn't play C, hasn't played an NHL game, didn't win the Hobey Baker, and he's worth the same as Jack Eichel was?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Wonder
None of that alone gets close. Also doesn't meet the needs of Winnipeg. If this kid gets traded, it will be for a young top4 D.
I agree this is a pretty outlandish price.

A young top 4 defenseman is Drysdale/Byram. Byram wasn't available for Gauthier, yet somehow McGroaty is worth that? Gauthier is a tier or two above McGroaty and returned an injury-riddled young, top 4 defenseman.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
No offense, this is perhaps the craziest proposal I've read in quite awhile. Three (3!) first-rounders for McGroarty. Dude doesn't play C, hasn't played an NHL game, didn't win the Hobey Baker, and he's worth the same as Jack Eichel was?
Any and all ideas I have about trades hinge upon the proverbial 'window.' Winnipeg is quite thin on D. Gulyayev MIGHT be able to fill a hole in 1 - 2 years. But he might still be attractive. As for the draft choices, we are talking 31 for Gulyayev, likely 25+ for our 2025 #1 and either a late 1st or early 2nd for Colton. The Avs' scouting staff typically sucks in that range. Will they get anything that helps in the next 3 years?

McG already has NHL size and ability on the boards. He is already good in greasy areas. He is fairly slow which could be his downfall. But he likely could play limited minutes in the NHL next season. He plays the Bednar way, albeit heavy-footed. He's actually been a C his whole life, until U of M. He is a year older than Ritchie. He has a better NHL body right now. But most importantly, he could be a 3W or 3C ( let's remember that Colton is not a true C either, so you are replacing like for like) for $3m+ less than Colton.

Gulyayev is not replacing Manson or Girard the next 2 - 3 years. The picks mentioned are closer to the 2nd round than McG's #14. Maybe McG doesn't cut it. Then add him to the list of Ryjo (whom we lost a 1st rounder to make him disappear), Duhaime, Walker, Trenin, etc. etc. etc. Late first round picks will do nothing for this team in the current window. McG might be able to be effective in that period. Why not give it a shot? Go in with Gulyayev plus a 1st (which would be the absolute minimum Winnipeg would accept, surely) and toss in another late 1st if they balk. Winnipeg will get a decent package from somebody.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I'm sure no one has thoughts about poehling since I throw out names a lot. But what about him and zamula for Colton and 26 1st. He's got two years at 1.9, a third line of Gabe poehling LOC. I suggested York as well but a CF poster said no. So I don't know much about zamula. The two years buys us a cheap 3c and Ritchie two more development years.

You're like a puppy, I love the enthusiasm! Trade valuations are difficult and it's a tiny bit easier to do it if you know even something about the player though 😄

• Haha
Reactions: BobRossColton

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Any and all ideas I have about trades hinge upon the proverbial 'window.' Winnipeg is quite thin on D. Gulyayev MIGHT be able to fill a hole in 1 - 2 years. But he might still be attractive. As for the draft choices, we are talking 31 for Gulyayev, likely 25+ for our 2025 #1 and either a late 1st or early 2nd for Colton. The Avs' scouting staff typically sucks in that range. Will they get anything that helps in the next 3 years?

McG already has NHL size and ability on the boards. He is already good in greasy areas. He is fairly slow which could be his downfall. But he likely could play limited minutes in the NHL next season. He plays the Bednar way, albeit heavy-footed. He's actually been a C his whole life, until U of M. He is a year older than Ritchie. He has a better NHL body right now. But most importantly, he could be a 3W or 3C ( let's remember that Colton is not a true C either, so you are replacing like for like) for $3m+ less than Colton.

Gulyayev is not replacing Manson or Girard the next 2 - 3 years. The picks mentioned are closer to the 2nd round than McG's #14. Maybe McG doesn't cut it. Then add him to the list of Ryjo (whom we lost a 1st rounder to make him disappear), Duhaime, Walker, Trenin, etc. etc. etc. Late first round picks will do nothing for this team in the current window. McG might be able to be effective in that period. Why not give it a shot? Go in with Gulyayev plus a 1st (which would be the absolute minimum Winnipeg would accept, surely) and toss in another late 1st if they balk. Winnipeg will get a decent package from somebody.
I'm shocked that you are actually justifying three 1st round picks for a 1st round pick who likely is refusing to sign with his own team.

If the Avs offer up three 1st round picks in a trade, they can acquire a HELL of a lot better than this random prospect.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
I'm shocked that you are actually justifying three 1st round picks for a 1st round pick who likely is refusing to sign with his own team.

If the Avs offer up three 1st round picks in a trade, they can acquire a HELL of a lot better than this random prospect.
With all the crazy crap I hear in this thread, this is the one that bothers you? You are 100% right - that package might be able to get a better return. I am surely not going to die on this hill. That said, context makes a world of difference.

1) If Colton is being moved to make room for Drouin, then a return of a pick is the only available option. But like the #37 we gave Tampa for him, it will be very late 1st or early 2nd. Choose your poison - Dom, or Curtis Isacke or a number of other indices. A #14 is worth more than a #31 plus a #37. Examining the value of NHL Draft picks - Sound Of Hockey

2) While Ritchie and Gulyayev are better than most Avs picks ( it seems) they have little value to the Avs as currently constructed. Unless they are moved in trades.

3) The Avs are known to take calculated risks. Nuke was no guarantee ( skills wise; blow is a discussion for a different thread.) Nor were Lehky, Drouin, LOC. If McG had LOC's speed, he likely would have gone 4 to 6 places higher. Still, he is not plodding, and every other facet fits a Bednar team perfectly.

4) The last 70 pages of this thread are filled with suggestions for completely over-the-hill guys who would be pure rentals and...old. (And if Landy does go on LTIR, there is no cap accrual) McG, should he work out, could be an asset for 3 to 5 to ?? years.

I agree with you completely. If CMac can get an established player with those picks, then that is a way, way better idea. The caveat, though, is that the cap will not allow spending spending over $1M in each of the next 2 years.

Besides, CMac can recoup all those first when he trades Mikko. ;)

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Mack was playing 23+ minutes because Colton was the 2C. Mitts being now the 2C is the big change. His play will decide if Mack plays 23+ or down to a more manageable 20-21 minutes. Moving or keeping Colton won't change things too much in that regard IMO. We will still need a good 3C to contend though but that could always be addressed at the TDL if Ritchie or whoever plays 3C during the season doesn't work out.
Laughton

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Necas is in high demand (great value on the market) and Nuke is basically untradable (heavy negative value). Why on Earth would Carolina do that

If they want Nuke we'll give him to them for free
Goalie musical chairs, MacKinnon on playing with Crosby, and 3 other NHL items

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Nice change of pace from opposing fan accusing of overvaluing our guys…and then turning out to be right.

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
Goalie musical chairs, MacKinnon on playing with Crosby, and 3 other NHL items
"We just hope he finds peace, gets help," said MacKinnon, an alternate captain. "He's a great guy. He's a great teammate. We all love him. It's obviously bigger than the game, what he's going through. But we definitely miss him. He's a horse. He's one of the best two-way players in the league. He had nine goals (in eight playoff games) when we lost him. Huge hole, but we'll back next season and hopefully we have him for the rest of his career."

That's an interesting tidbit on how the room/mack feels about nuke....

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
At 4 mil it's surprising
Not in the slightest. 4 million is what 3Cs are going to be paid moving forward. Hell even more in a year or two. Not only that, a lot of teams want physical players that will play with an edge. The Avs wouldn't even be looking to move him without the cap crunch. I'm not sure what people were expecting out of Colton, but it seems like they wanted a 2C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad