Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Who would have ever guessed that letting go a 40+ pts guy who could take faceoffs with reasonable success and could PK decently would turn out poorly.

JTC was a solid player for his role, it was dumb to let him walk over about 1M. Colton makes 4 JTC makes 5.1 and I bet we could have negotiated 4.75. so we are talking a league minimum player in salary difference.

I take JTC over Colton every day of the week.
Holy revisionist history. J.T. isn’t even good at faceoffs. All you had to do was look at his numbers. Colton’s are better.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Holy revisionist history. J.T. isn’t even good at faceoffs. All you had to do was look at his numbers. Colton’s are better.
The endless amount of big draws JTC was sent out to win only to get cleaned on them.

I remember the pathetic stat where the Avs twitter tried to claim he was 7th in faceoff percentage amongst guys with a certain amount of draws taken. Number was quite high I recall. Only for us to dig deeper and find out he was 7th out of 7 lol.

That said, I think JTC was trusted as a player overall more than Colton is.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm pretty indifferent on Colton. He's solid and they're probably better off keeping him because I doubt they're going to do much better. Whether fair/realistic or not, I'd like my $4M/yr 3C to be one of the better 3C's in the league and I think he's just average.

Looking at FA's, we're probably going to be talking about someone like Henrique again if Colton gets traded. It's a different conversation because before we talked about him as the 2C but I don't know where he gets you. He might be cheaper but he's also way older and an injury waiting to happen. I doubt the cap savings are enough to justify a move like that unless some team goes dumb and offers more than they should for Colton.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I wish Colton was more consistent, I also think his reckless physicality, which is a big part of his game, is completely neutered with Beds. He is not good enough defensively, poor on draws, and goes through too many long stretches of ineffective play. Really wish there was a more pure defensive C that could be had…hell, I’ve been hoping Tampa is looking to swap Cirelli for him for funsies

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm pretty indifferent on Colton. He's solid and they're probably better off keeping him because I doubt they're going to do much better. Whether fair/realistic or not, I'd like my $4M/yr 3C to be one of the better 3C's in the league and I think he's just average.

Looking at FA's, we're probably going to be talking about someone like Henrique again if Colton gets traded. It's a different conversation because before we talked about him as the 2C but I don't know where he gets you. He might be cheaper but he's also way older and an injury waiting to happen. I doubt the cap savings are enough to justify a move like that unless some team goes dumb and offers more than they should for Colton.
Tbf a $4mil C is market value for an average C.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Who would have ever guessed that letting go a 40+ pts guy who could take faceoffs with reasonable success and could PK decently would turn out poorly.
He could take them but he sure wasn't winning them. Especially not the important ones.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Its a small hit this year but the hope is ritchie is able to be adequate at 3c after next year and then theres no real spot for colton. Would be too expensive at any other spot and would have his modified no trade clause kicked in. Keep the more talented guys and can make a move for a rental 3c at the deadline if needed and save a good amount of cap money. Yes you take the risk ritchie takes a step back but theres tough choices that have to be made in a cap world

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The real question becomes, regardless of who fills in the role during the year, do we target as a 3C at the deadline for 1 year and allow Ritchie to step into that role the following year?

I'd go hard after Gourde @50%, who is a UFA.
Gourde would be expensive... And at 32 you have to wonder if last year was a down year or him regressing.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
How about to buffalo for isak Rosen+ girgensons
rights?

Or it doesn't really help cap but move it to goalie. Colton for ullmark. Trade out Georgie for future's

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Frankly i'd be surprised if there was no speculation because it would mean CMac isn't taking calls on Colton, Wood, Lehky, Manson, Girard, etc.

Something has to give.

Reactions: chet1926

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Frankly i'd be surprised if there was no speculation because it would mean CMac isn't taking calls on Colton, Wood, Lehky, Manson, Girard, etc.

Something has to give.
Logic would dictate that something has to give. Unless they are willing to roll the generic exact same roster but lose Drouin, and are ok with Nuke coming back eventually, and fill all the empty holes with league minimum plugs.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Logic would dictate that something has to give. Unless they are willing to roll the generic exact same roster but lose Drouin, and are ok with Nuke coming back eventually, and fill all the empty holes with league minimum plugs.
Not that I'm advocating for this, but you say "all the empty holes" as if the team would have a ton in that scenario. They wouldn't.

Lehkonen (4.5) - MacKinnon (12.6) - Rantanen (9.25)
Landeskog (7) - Mittelstadt (5.75) - Nichushkin (6.125)
Wood (2.5) - Colton (4) - O'Connor (1.05)
4LW 900K - 4C 850K - Kovalenko (896K)

Toews (7.25) - Makar (9)
Girard (5) - Manson (4.5)
Behrens (905K) - 3RD (900K)

Jones (775K)

Georgiev (3.4)
Annunen (837K)

That team is under the cap. All that's been done is incorporating Mittelstadt full time for Johansen, swapping in Landeskog for Drouin, and the 4th line/3rd pairing changing.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not that I'm advocating for this, but you say "all the empty holes" as if the team would have a ton in that scenario. They wouldn't.

Lehkonen (4.5) - MacKinnon (12.6) - Rantanen (9.25)
Landeskog (7) - Mittelstadt (5.75) - Nichushkin (6.125)
Wood (2.5) - Colton (4) - O'Connor (1.05)
4LW 900K - 4C 850K - Kovalenko (896K)

Toews (7.25) - Makar (9)
Girard (5) - Manson (4.5)
Behrens (905K) - 3RD (900K)

Jones (775K)

Georgiev (3.4)
Annunen (837K)

That team is under the cap. All that's been done is incorporating Mittelstadt full time for Johansen, swapping in Landeskog for Drouin, and the 4th line/3rd pairing changing.
You are also assuming Landy is good to go day 1, which more than likely he won't be. More likely Nov or Dec at the earliest. Nuke while eligible to return mid Nov probably wouldn't get into the lineup until maybe early Dec.

So in reality you'd need at least 2 more forwards which would have to be filled with low money contracts as you can't really use Nuke or Landy's money, at least not very easily.

On paper your roster works fine, however it's not one that can be used day 1 or most likely for at least 2 months.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We should get Brock Nelson with 50% retention and put him at 3C

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Aren’t they all speculation until actual trade happens?
In his podcast yesterday Seravalli said that CMac has to keep cap room for Nuke and Landy and is shopping Colton, and that Colton is a cap casualty for the Avs just like he was for Tampa last year.

He didn't leave any doubt and clearly wasn't speculating, he was relaying information. He sounded like he just spoke to CMac.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
In his podcast yesterday Seravalli said that CMac has to keep cap room for Nuke and Landy and is shopping Colton, and that Colton is a cap casualty for the Avs just like he was for Tampa last year.

He didn't leave any doubt and clearly wasn't speculating, he was relaying information. He sounded like he just spoke to CMac.
I agree logic says that at least one guy at or above 4M needs to be moved out for money purposes.

If that is Colton that's fine. I'm just surprised that they move him and leave 29 as the only signed center. Mitts will get resigned but then you have a 3rd and 4th line center holes once again.

At what point will they realize they simply have too much money tied up on defense and something has to give there? Can't keep asking 29 and to a lesser extent 96 to flat carry the offense every year. They need reasonable help.

The one year that they had it, they won a Cup. And it's just going to be a shit show this year on offense with Landy a ? as to if he can play or how well, and Nuke who knows what hell is going to happen there. It shouldn't be terrible in the top 6 but the bottom 6 is going to be awful.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I agree logic says that at least one guy at or above 4M needs to be moved out for money purposes.

If that is Colton that's fine. I'm just surprised that they move him and leave 29 as the only signed center. Mitts will get resigned but then you have a 3rd and 4th line center holes once again.

At what point will they realize they simply have too much money tied up on defense and something has to give there? Can't keep asking 29 and to a lesser extent 96 to flat carry the offense every year. They need reasonable help.

The one year that they had it, they won a Cup. And it's just going to be a shit show this year on offense with Landy a ? as to if he can play or how well, and Nuke who knows what hell is going to happen there. It shouldn't be terrible in the top 6 but the bottom 6 is going to be awful.
They already shifted money from the defence to the forwards with the Byram for Mitts deal.

Obviously they could do more but I don't see them moving G right after they moved Byram. Maybe Manson if they replace him with a similar physical dman who's a bit cheaper.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Moving money from defense wouldn’t be ideal right now as it already happened. Moving money from center to wing is rather questionable. FWIW The Athletic didn’t make a peep on their trade board on Colton. We will surely have a resolution by next Saturday though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad