Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Havent heard anything, but would not be surprised to see something pop0 up on the draft floor if the possible Ottawa deal falls through.

Without knowing what the actual market value of Ullmark is among GMs today I as a fan would say this is a fair offer. 15 ov is decent and a good prospect tossed in(forward) would balance that pick out well to provide good value.
Hmmmm. That's a good point. Now I have to watch the 1st round even if the Ottawa deal falls through! Damn you.....:laugh:

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
As a Sens fan, even with Ullmark, we're not going to be much of a "rival" to Boston for another 2-3 years. Let's be real.

I think Staios knows this team still needs a lot of work, so while he'd certainly love Ullmark as a first step in fixing things, he's not going to make an irrational trade to get him.

The man is cautiousness personified. The opposite of the walking disaster that was Pierre Dorion.

I agree about staios. Everything I’ve read makes it seem like he’s not going to get tunnel vision on a player and overspend.

Ullmark solves a problem for the Sens, but he’s not the missing piece to turn them into cup contenders. And I’m sure whatever value Staios may give up will reflect that fact.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The man is cautiousness personified.

Is that really a good thing?

Sometimes the wrong decision is indecision.

Be overly cautious and opportunities pass you by. Try to drive a hard bargain every single time and eventually your business partners avoid dealing with you if they can. Staios is a new GM he might need to give a little on his early deals in order to build better relationships long-term. I doubt a rookie GM drawing a hard line in the sand is going to work very well.

Reactions: Gordoff

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
As a Sens fan, even with Ullmark, we're not going to be much of a "rival" to Boston for another 2-3 years. Let's be real.

I think Staios knows this team still needs a lot of work, so while he'd certainly love Ullmark as a first step in fixing things, he's not going to make an irrational trade to get him.

The man is cautiousness personified. The opposite of the walking disaster that was Pierre Dorion.
Sens definitely are still a few years away, but you guys still NEED goaltending. Like you just can't even start to build the beginning of a winning culture when your tandem is made up of two of the worst goalies in the entire league. This is a draft that is not really all that deep outside the top 10-15 guys, trading a late first (25 OA) + a defenseman that it doesn't seem like is gonna re-sign in Ottawa (Chychrun) to address your biggest need feels like kind of a no brainer for both sides if that really is what the package is.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Lauko is a replaceable type of player as all 4th line types are but the Bruins are in need of a guy with his skillset. Fast, aggressive on the forecheck, seems to thrive getting under the skin of the opposition, fearless.

If the Bruins want to get faster this offseason, losing potentially all of Lauko, DeBrusk, and Boqvist is going to drop a lot of team speed off the lineup. Maybe some of that will be balanced with Maroon and JVR off the roster too.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Interesting. I'd rather shed Lauko than Geekie, in my opinion.

Agree with this, and I think like with Steen, I think Lauko can plan in the NHL, but I think that won't really happen in Boston. If they were to add a physical wing to the 4th line, then Lauko is no more than a reserve .

Geekie is a much more valuable player

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Is that really a good thing?

Sometimes the wrong decision is indecision.

Be overly cautious and opportunities pass you by. Try to drive a hard bargain every single time and eventually your business partners avoid dealing with you if they can. Staios is a new GM he might need to give a little on his early deals in order to build better relationships long-term. I doubt a rookie GM drawing a hard line in the sand is going to work very well.

When you're close to being a winning team, you need to take some risks to put things over the top.

When you take over a team like Ottawa whose former GM pissed away 1st round picks in poor trades and via league penalties without and playoff berths to show for it... you don't take big risks in your first offseason.

I don't think there's any chance that the 7th overall pick is going to be included in a trade for a veteran player. If anything, and these are the rumors in Ottawa, Staios is willing to move down to acquire more picks, because our prospect pool is barren (which is wild considering how bad we've been).

Sens definitely are still a few years away, but you guys still NEED goaltending. Like you just can't even start to build the beginning of a winning culture when your tandem is made up of two of the worst goalies in the entire league. This is a draft that is not really all that deep outside the top 10-15 guys, trading a late first (25 OA) + a defenseman that it doesn't seem like is gonna re-sign in Ottawa (Chychrun) to address your biggest need feels like kind of a no brainer for both sides if that really is what the package is.

I think if the Bruins were willing to take Chychrun and their own first pick (25OA), the deal would already be done.

If they're holding out for Ottawa's own pick (7OA), it's not going to happen.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
This is only true to a point.

In a bidding war, Linus goes for a premium. In a spot where we HAVE to trade him, he goes for scraps. We agree on both.

But there's a middle ground in between, and that's probably where we sit right now.

If Ottawa offers #25 and Sweeney gets a 1st and cap relief, he just might have to accept. And sadly in this draft that #25 isn't worth much. I say all this in a cap vacuum, not knowing if Ottawa has to also send a roster player, or buy out Korpi, or another trade to make the space.
For sure, its not ideal if only one team is offering and he may just decide that grabbing a pick with cap relief is enough and that's fine if that's all there is. But they don't have to trade him now and could also decide to wait until the deadline when injuries will create more goalie hungry teams desperate to save their season and drive up the price of a premium goalie

On the other hand Ottawa has to decide if they're willing to give up a bit more now to meet the Bruins needs or if they want to enter another season with subpar goaltending and risk pissing off their top guys with another wasted season.

I think it's in both teams best interests right now if Ottawa ponies up what the Bruins are looking for because prices likely aren't going to be any lower than now for the Sens if there truly isn't any other teams involved.

The extra layer here is if the Bruins decide they need that cap space for free agency, then you're looking at just taking the 25th pick maybe.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
When you're close to being a winning team, you need to take some risks to put things over the top.

When you take over a team like Ottawa whose former GM pissed away 1st round picks in poor trades and via league penalties without and playoff berths to show for it... you don't take big risks in your first offseason.

I don't think there's any chance that the 7th overall pick is going to be included in a trade for a veteran player. If anything, and these are the rumors in Ottawa, Staios is willing to move down to acquire more picks, because our prospect pool is barren (which is wild considering how bad we've been).

I think if the Bruins were willing to take Chychrun and their own first pick (25OA), the deal would already be done.

If they're holding out for Ottawa's own pick (7OA), it's not going to happen.

I just hope they can end up with someone who fits their needs a lot more than Cychrun does whether from Ottawa or from a 3rd team in the team. Chychrun brings some positive, and would help the team in some areas, but is about to get hugely expensive, or just is a one year rental.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I don't think he's moving 7th overall either. But what the previous GM did doesn't make any difference to how Staios operates.

No one said he needs to take a big risk. But he's going to have to give a little here if he wants to bring in valuable players. These GMs aren't adversarial for the most part, these are partnerships and Staois will need to build those relationship and not go all out trying to get the better of his fellow GMs to win every deal. The best trades for GMs are those that help both parties. It's fans who have this burning desire to win every trade by a country mile.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Lauko is a replaceable type of player as all 4th line types are but the Bruins are in need of a guy with his skillset. Fast, aggressive on the forecheck, seems to thrive getting under the skin of the opposition, fearless.

If the Bruins want to get faster this offseason, losing potentially all of Lauko, DeBrusk, and Boqvist is going to drop a lot of team speed off the lineup. Maybe some of that will be balanced with Maroon and JVR off the roster too.
I hope Boqvist re-signs

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I just hope they can end up with someone who fits their needs a lot more than Cychrun does whether from Ottawa or from a 3rd team in the team. Chychrun brings some positive, and would help the team in some areas, but is about to get hugely expensive, or just is a one year rental.

Chychrun fills a need on this team. We desperately need someone who can put puck on net from the blueline. Chychrun over the last 3 years ranks top 30 in goals and shots among d-men. Pair him with a guy like Carlo and he gets more flexibility in the o-zone to generate offense.

Lindholm - McAvoy
Chychrun - Carlo
Lohrei - Peeke

^That's freaking awesome top 4 and a strong top 6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad