Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Would Yzerman?

Thats the question but he has to feel the pressure of finally making the playoffs next season and goaltending was a big factor of them not reaching them in the last years. He has to have a realiable goalie and Ullmark surely is better than anything they have right now. An extended Ullmark who would lead them to the playoffs would be worth that package.

Reactions: sleepyh

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I hope Sweeneys waits for a deal to be made. Ullmark is the best goalie who is available. Detroit, Colorado, Ottawa, Carolina, Toronto still needs to upgrade their goaltending. There could be a bidding war for Ullmark very possibly. The only problem is Ullmarks NTC ...

If you're Ullmark, for the best job/paycneck security you should want to waive now to a team offering an extension. You get to control where you land(out of the current suitors), you get the comfort of knowing you'll be there for X# of years.

If you ride out the year in Boston you run the risk of injury, of a bad year stats wise killing your value, or even the team you may want to go to in FA ends up solving their goalie issue leaving you a bad pick of possible teams.

The one reward would be having another lights out vezina caliber year with Boston means increasing your $$$ a bit come next offseason.

Would be too risky for me.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Correct. And that assumes he would be willing to go to Detroit and sign an extension.
That’s the part I question. I know Detroit is not a west coast but unless DET one of the teams left off his MNTC I don’t see him waiving. He has said he would go to OTT. I think he is putting the Bruins in a spot where he can almost choose his destination.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Lauko is in the conversation To go with Ullmark to Ottawa. Staios had a 4th line full of Laukos when he put together an OHL championship.
Can't complain about that. While I like Lauko he is very replaceable. Any idea who would be coming back, or would you rather not say right now? I appreciate the info either way....thanks for sharing!

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I just can’t believe this chatter around Ullmark for a top 10 pick. Rare for goaltender returns. The 25th overall is unimpressive because the draft gurus suggest this draft class isn’t spectacular. Almost better off asking for a 2025 1st (assuming a hockey trade can’t be made)
Cap space alone is going to help and we can get down to business/announce Swayman signing. That said, my fingers are crossed that the return is more than a 25th overall this year - as you say, outside of the top 10-15 slots the 2024 draft is not reported to be so deep.

For perspective - here's the last 8 or 9 years of the 25th pick. I know there were some steals after the fact, but it gives a general sense of what type of player is typically available deeper into 1st round.

2015 Jack Roslovic
2016 Riley Tufte
2017 Ryan Poehling
2018 Dominik Bokk
2019 Connor McMichael
2020 Justin Barron
2021 Corson Ceulemans
2022 Sam Rinzel
2023 Otto Stenberg

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Lauko is in the conversation To go with Ullmark to Ottawa. Staios had a 4th line full of Laukos when he put together an OHL championship.

Altough I like him he was the first I thought of when you wrote that the board would be ok in giving up the player.

Are they still in negotiations with other teams about Ullmark or are they focusing on Ottawa right now?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I don’t get his thinking at all.

He’d give up the 7th overall for a top6 forward? Maybe for a top4 D and no way for a goalie. In terms of abundance/easy to acquire it should be the opposite. In terms of impact on your season it should be the opposite. Who has more impact on a hockey game than a goalie?

I also don’t get the groupthink dogma that people keep burping out regarding goalie returns. There are plenty of examples of goalies returning 1st round picks. Sweeney cited a goalie retunring a 9th overall pick. Two goalies were traded this week for 1st’s, yet “historically goalies don’t blah blah I didn’t do the research but everyone says it so I am too…”

Not top 10 picks, If Boston wants 7, Swayman is the goalie leaving.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I rarely if ever put out names.
I read that and get the feeling that Dom is telling me this thing is really taking shape and could happen.

And that's my prerogative.

And if the rocket does not lift off - then I had fun waiting for it to lift off because I trust that the source of the speculation is wired in and giving me a sense of what the present state might be to the degree that is possible.

And even then, even the most naïve and ill informed of us know that nothing -- NOTHING -- is a done deal until the papers have been signed and the League gives the OK. And a lot can change in an instant.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
So Philly 1st & 2nd( or 3rd) and player for Ullmark & Lauko? Seems like Kastelic or Macewen will be moved then. Maybe to us?

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I believe he will do well there. Might even get up to the third line at some point.

Reactions: ylekot

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Interesting. I'd rather shed Lauko than Geekie, in my opinion.

IMO Geekie is a keeper. Sure, if the right deal came along it would be smart to make the move. But I think he's a vaulable foot solider with the way he can move up and down the middle 6 and play to his strengths. I think both he and Frederic ( along with Coyle maybe ) are just about what you would want out of your third line.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Hypothetical: Detroit enters the Ullmark sweepstakes and offers 2024 #15 overall (assuming an extension could be reached at some point).

1) Do you think that either the player or the team would be willing to deal with the Wings?
2) If so, and some sort of prospect would need to be added, what level/position is a realistic preference?

I think he'd make a fantastic addition to the Wings while they wait for Cossa to be ready. Just seeing if there's any chance at a deal with a division rival.
Havent heard anything, but would not be surprised to see something pop0 up on the draft floor if the possible Ottawa deal falls through.

Without knowing what the actual market value of Ullmark is among GMs today I as a fan would say this is a fair offer. 15 ov is decent and a good prospect tossed in(forward) would balance that pick out well to provide good value.

Reactions: Gordoff

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
And if Ottawa wants a Vezina winner from a division rival, it'll cost the 7th

As a Sens fan, even with Ullmark, we're not going to be much of a "rival" to Boston for another 2-3 years. Let's be real.

I think Staios knows this team still needs a lot of work, so while he'd certainly love Ullmark as a first step in fixing things, he's not going to make an irrational trade to get him.

The man is cautiousness personified. The opposite of the walking disaster that was Pierre Dorion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad