Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Yeah Ottawa needs to throw in a first just to dump Korpisalo in my book, and probably the #7, not the Boston pick . He's had a couple hot streaks in his career, but his numbers have generally been AWFUL. Now maybe Boston could fix him, and flip him later, but he just might be a rotting corpse killing you in the backup role, which Bussi leaves town
We do not need Korpisalo, if we are going to take on 4 mil for him then we might as well keep Ullmark at 5 mil. 1 mil either way is not going to help much.

Include the #7 or DS for sure completely ignore this Sens offer.

Do the right thing not just trade because you think a deal has to be done and sign only players we really need. Do not f*** up the cap space you have available. This is not Walmart, oh that looks like a good deal so grab it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Watching the game tonight tells me talent and grit are worth a lot more then high end talent alone. Please don’t trade or sign for guys who don’t deliver in the playoffs.

Paul Maurice is the best coach on the planet hands down. This guy deserves tons of credit. They play as a team. They are methodical in everything they do.

26 years with 5 different teams as an NHL coach and I'd never heard anyone refer to Paul Maurice as such.

Must have improved a lot since last season.

He has done a great job with this group, for sure.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah Ottawa needs to throw in a first just to dump Korpisalo in my book, and probably the #7, not the Boston pick . He's had a couple hot streaks in his career, but his numbers have generally been AWFUL. Now maybe Boston could fix him, and flip him later, but he just might be a rotting corpse killing you in the backup role, which Bussi leaves town

What does Korpisalo look like at 50% retention? Basically the going rate for an experienced NHL netminder in a back-up role. He was good enough a year ago to get a 5-year deal. Close on 300 NHL games under his belt and just turned 30.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What does Korpisalo look like at 50% retention? Basically the going rate for an experienced NHL netminder in a back-up role. He was good enough a year ago to get a 5-year deal. Close on 300 NHL games under his belt and just turned 30.

But that is with a career GAA of 3.06, and save percentage of .901

Korpisalo is a guy who is a classic example of why I don't think we are going to get anyone for a discount in FA this offseason. GM's panic. If they have money to spend they do incredibly stupid things. He should have been a guy who was signed for 2 years and 4 million total, and instead got 5 at 4 million per year

So when i see these "projections" I generally add 1-2 years and at least 15% to what I think it will take to sign anyone

Reactions: HustleB

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
to me Florida is this year`s version of the B`s 2011 team, tough, plays right on the edge, sometimes stepping over it, can play any way you wish.....man does it pain me to say that as there are a few pure pieces of crap on that team but...
The difference is that years bruins wasn’t a bunch of cowards that try to injure people but then won’t drop the gloves.

Florida is also the kings of the head toss 360 double back flip nose dive. Some Olympic level divers over there.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
All this Korpisalo talk has taken me from:

- I just got a double of the new Bobby Orr card that none of my buddies have.

to

- The spokes on my bike have finally rusted out and I don't have enough money to buy a new tire.

You people have f***ing bummed me out massively.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It's not just trading for Korpisalo, so don't be too bummed- it's just being suggested he could be part of the deal to acquire the 7th OA. Korpisalo can be buried in Prov and Bruins are on the hook for $3m in dead money, true, but would the 7th OA be worth that in addition to moving Ullmark? Maybe Ottawa retains something and makes that easier to take, or adds another pick or player. Korpi coming doesn't kill Bussi necessarily and he'd be fine as a backup playing 25 games anyway. There are a couple ways at least that wouldn't be a terrible thing for the Bruins.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
It's not just trading for Korpisalo, so don't be too bummed- it's just being suggested he could be part of the deal to acquire the 7th OA. Korpisalo can be buried in Prov and Bruins are on the hook for $3m in dead money, true, but would the 7th OA be worth that in addition to moving Ullmark? Maybe Ottawa retains something and makes that easier to take, or adds another pick or player. Korpi coming doesn't kill Bussi necessarily and he'd be fine as a backup playing 25 games anyway. There are a couple ways at least that wouldn't be a terrible thing for the Bruins.
Dumping $16m in worthlessness would cost the Senators two mid to late 1st all on its own. 7OA in a crap draft is a fair swap for two lower picks.

Once you've got that settled, it's time to compensate the Bruins for handing over Ullmark, who I'm guessing has Ottawa on his no-trade list, on the top with underlines.

Carrying Korpisalo on the roster very likely gets Bussi waiver claimed, unless the plan is to banish Korpisalo to the AHL for 4 seasons.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
7OA would get my attention in a big way and I'd do a lot to get it.

But I saw some talk about us getting our 25th back - and that doesn't motivate me to do anything crazy.

So, going back to my youth again....

- 7OA is getting a kiss at the dance from the nicest looking girl in school. Love is in the air and my buddies think I'm a God.

- 25OA is getting a kiss from Mary Perkins - who is, let's be kind, maybe not a beauty queen. And she has a retainer that would serve as scaffolding for a mid sized building. Still, a kiss is a kiss - you're no Paul Newman -- and young Mary probably isn't wowed by you either. So, might want to chalk it up as experience but keep this one to yourself and not tell your buddies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Dumping $16m in worthlessness would cost the Senators two mid to late 1st all on its own. 7OA in a crap draft is a fair swap for two lower picks.

Once you've got that settled, it's time to compensate the Bruins for handing over Ullmark, who I'm guessing has Ottawa on his no-trade list, on the top with underlines.

Carrying Korpisalo on the roster very likely gets Bussi waiver claimed, unless the plan is to banish Korpisalo to the AHL for 4 seasons.

I'd bury him in the AHL were I the GM, knowing at the same time, he'd be a good 3rd goalie if you had a crisis. I suspect the Bruins and most GMs would not take that route, though. I don't really see it happening, but someone threw it out there and there are paths where it wouldn't be all that bad: it all depends on what the Bruins get out of the deal. It could be net worthwhile for the Bruins if Ottawa really wants to be shed of Korpi and wants Ullmark in their net.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Korpisalo is a guy who is a classic example of why I don't think we are going to get anyone for a discount in FA this offseason. GM's panic. If they have money to spend they do incredibly stupid things. He should have been a guy who was signed for 2 years and 4 million total, and instead got 5 at 4 million per year

So when i see these "projections" I generally add 1-2 years and at least 15% to what I think it will take to sign anyone

The thing with Korpisalo is for most of his career he's had below average teams in front of him. He spent his first 8yrs in CBJ and had a .903 SV%. He moved to LAK at the TDL and posted a .921 SV% for the rest of the season. This season he goes to OTT and goes back to his CBJ numbers. The crazy thing is that his numbers at OTT really aren't far off from what goalies in OTT have done over the last 3 years:

1718377549481.png

To me Korpisalo is one of those goalies that feeds off the team in front of him. If you put a good defensive team in front of him, he'll be fine. With that said I wouldn't mind him at $2 million with the team that we have here.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

But I saw some talk about us getting our 25th back - and that doesn't motivate me to do anything crazy.

- 7OA is getting a kiss at the dance from the nicest looking girl in school. Love is in the air and my buddies think I'm a God.

- 25OA is getting a kiss from Mary Perkins - who is, let's be kind, maybe not a beauty queen. And she has a retainer that would serve as scaffolding for a mid sized building. Still, a kiss is a kiss - you're no Paul Newman -- and young Mary probably isn't wowed by you either. So, might want to chalk it up as experience but keep this one to yourself and not tell your buddies.

Sounds like you a had a great time in your school days.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I would think 7th OA plus Ullmark to take Korpi at 50% retained minimum (if Ullmark would even waive there) would be the deal Swwney takes. If it's pick 25, Korpi is still 50% retained (then you can bury him at a cost of $1m a year, easy to take), but what would be the add because there would have to be: Shane Pinto? Chychrun?

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Sounds like you a had a great time in your school days.
:laugh: There were good days and truly frightening days, my friend. :laugh:

I would think 7th OA plus Ullmark to take Korpi at 50% retained minimum (if Ullmark would even waive there) would be the deal Swwney takes. If it's pick 25, Korpi is still 50% retained (then you can bury him at a cost of $1m a year, easy to take), but what would be the add because there would have to be: Shane Pinto? Chychrun?
That would make much more sense (the Pinto or Chychrun add).

Even retained, taking on Korpisalo for an additional 4 years (with Bussi already at 26yo) would have to net more than 25OA for me.

Plus I think I've read that outside of mid teens this draft tends to fall off in projected value. I know that's open to interpretation but I don't believe anyone has said it's a bonanza.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
We do not need Korpisalo, if we are going to take on 4 mil for him then we might as well keep Ullmark at 5 mil. 1 mil either way is not going to help much.

Include the #7 or DS for sure completely ignore this Sens offer.

Do the right thing not just trade because you think a deal has to be done and sign only players we really need. Do not f*** up the cap space you have available. This is not Walmart, oh that looks like a good deal so grab it.
I’m same - have to get 7 if Korpisalo in it

He’s not garbage though - his value to me is around 3 M the Sens paid the Sens tax

Bussi has been developed and is ready

For 7 I take Korpi & can always buy out

But Ottawa needs 7 they can get an impactful defender

Reactions: Gordoff and Number8

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I agree with you on free agency. GMs go down the rabbit hole trying to fill specific needs and rather than wait for the right player, jump the gun and commit to something somewhat questionable. I didn't like the Korpisalo deal when it was signed, but at half price I that's the going rate for a guy like him.

I have no interest in him at full salary. None.

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I'm sure they would like too move Chychrun, he is going to be UFA at the end of the year and there is always a risk with him of injury if Ottawa waits until the trade deadline to move him. I can't see them moving Pinto Ridley Greig however I could see as an add for the cap space with Korpisalo. Something like:
Ullmark, Merkulov to Ottawa 7th overall, Chrychrun, Greig, Korpisalo to Boston with a million retained on Korpisalo. Use the 7th overall on Cayden Lindstrom, if he is gone take Iginla or Yakemchuk, Lohrei and Yakemchuk as your second pair for the next 10 years is a nice combination of skating, size, offense, grit and mean

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

What if it was Mary Hill who used to hang out at Cherry Hill park????

The game she played lasted all day till way after dark
All the girls they criticized her
But all the guys just idolized her
'Cause Mary Hill was such a thrill after dark

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The Senators are better off just buying Korpisalo out if they get an upgrade

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
What if it was Mary Hill who used to hang out at Cherry Hill park????

The game she played lasted all day till way after dark
All the girls they criticized her
But all the guys just idolized her
'Cause Mary Hill was such a thrill after dark
Billy Joe Royal lyrics was not on my bingo card for today

• Haha
Reactions: BMC

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The Senators are better off just buying Korpisalo out if they get an upgrade
we both know best case scenario if Ullmark agrees to go to Ottawa would be the Sens don’t buy out which would suck - and Boston takes him

Scale

Ottawa gets Ullmark

Boston gets Korpisalo 4 X 4 left

Boston now has Swayman, Korpi, Bussi

What would Boston need added to pull trigger ?

7O/A ……yes

Chychrun
25OA ……..probably yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad