Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Stamkos hasn't pushed the offensive for a long time (if he ever did).

Marchessault not really a playmaker either. But I'd agree, would really like to sign him.
Stamer scored 113 goals the last 3 seasons and all years were over 80 pts.
He would fit in really nice on our team, brings a great deal of experience and leadership as well.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Marchessault and Stamkos can create their own looks and aren't reliant on their line-mates to dictate their success. Marchessault is a dynamic goal scorer, scores goals multiple different ways. And he can carry the puck and make plays. Neither are the ideal solution although Marchessault fits the bill more than Stamkos who is less dynamic.

At the end of the day, there are only two types of forwards, those who drive and create, and those who read and compliment their line-mates. The Bruins are loaded with complimentary guys (Zacha, Geekie, Coyle, Frederic, Debrusk and Heinen if either return). Complimentary isn't a knock, it just means more consideration needs to be taken into where they play, who they play with, and how they fit into the overall composition.

Lindholm is a fine player. He can help any line. The issue is if you want to get the most out of him relative to what you are playing him he needs the right line-mates and they just don't have that right now and that should be the priority. He comes in at 8 million per, you need him up around 25-30 goals, 75-80 pts. and I don't think he can do that here unless better players are also added. I'm not giving a guy 8 million to be a 50-55 point two-way center. He'll never come close to that 2021-22 season regardless. I'd bet my house on it.

This is like going car shopping. Your partner really wants a new Corvette to keep them happy, but there are no Corvettes on the market so you come home with a Honda Accord (Lindholm). Solid, reliable car. But now your money tied up and when that Corvette you really need hits the market you have no way to pay for it.

Bruins need to leave the Accords on the lot and focus on a new Corvette even if they have to wait.
I love the comparison to the Corvette (which I have owned many)....they appreciate in value, just like a good UFA signing,

Reactions: BruinDust

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Marchessault and Stamkos can create their own looks and aren't reliant on their line-mates to dictate their success. Marchessault is a dynamic goal scorer, scores goals multiple different ways. And he can carry the puck and make plays. Neither are the ideal solution although Marchessault fits the bill more than Stamkos who is less dynamic.

At the end of the day, there are only two types of forwards, those who drive and create, and those who read and compliment their line-mates. The Bruins are loaded with complimentary guys (Zacha, Geekie, Coyle, Frederic, Debrusk and Heinen if either return). Complimentary isn't a knock, it just means more consideration needs to be taken into where they play, who they play with, and how they fit into the overall composition.

Lindholm is a fine player. He can help any line. The issue is if you want to get the most out of him relative to what you are playing him he needs the right line-mates and they just don't have that right now and that should be the priority. He comes in at 8 million per, you need him up around 25-30 goals, 75-80 pts. and I don't think he can do that here unless better players are also added. I'm not giving a guy 8 million to be a 50-55 point two-way center. He'll never come close to that 2021-22 season regardless. I'd bet my house on it.

This is like going car shopping. Your partner really wants a new Corvette to keep them happy, but there are no Corvettes on the market so you come home with a Honda Accord (Lindholm). Solid, reliable car. But now your money tied up and when that Corvette you really need hits the market you have no way to pay for it.

Bruins need to leave the Accords on the lot and focus on a new Corvette even if they have to wait.
I understand what you are saying, however consider Lindholm immediately becomes the best center on the team. However, I feel he would fit in best as a #2 center not #1. If they could sign him for a reasonable price and term the #2 center position would be set for the next several years. (there is no guarantee there will be anyone better available next year)
I still feel they should also try and target an offensive playmaking center even if they are a little suspect defensively. (Marc Savard like) Someone who could create open space for the wings on the top line.
But get at least one top 2 center this year. If needed get the other next year.
Ideally, they also need to add another top 6 winger to the fold.
Addressing these areas creates depth and allows others to slot in where they are most effective.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Going to start getting pretty interesting

Gotta live in the present while still being respectful of the future and hoping we all get there

So as applies to Lindholm he’s 8 M player to me and 4-5 years easy

The last two could go anywhere but he would still be 36 and he doesn’t play a heavy game

Im glad we aren’t negotiating with 8 years as the max

I’m ok with 7 not great but let’s win now and be in the thick of it with hope

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Id rather Shattenkirk for what he will be used for, He was perfect for that roll
Yeh me too- regular season is clearly tamer and he’s got times where he’s been very good

Smart guy - likeable - basically a coach

For a mil? Hell yeh

Btw- make sure you give those kids of yours the draft party passes - free beer and food lol

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I understand what you are saying, however consider Lindholm immediately becomes the best center on the team. However, I feel he would fit in best as a #2 center not #1. If they could sign him for a reasonable price and term the #2 center position would be set for the next several years. (there is no guarantee there will be anyone better available next year)
I still feel they should also try and target an offensive playmaking center even if they are a little suspect defensively. (Marc Savard like) Someone who could create open space for the wings on the top line.
But get at least one top 2 center this year. If needed get the other next year.
Ideally, they also need to add another top 6 winger to the fold.
Addressing these areas creates depth and allows others to slot in where they are most effective.

Is Lindholm a better fit as a #2 sure, but this is a league that doesn't have 30 #1 centers , same is true of defensemen and goalies.

Id rather Shattenkirk for what he will be used for, He was perfect for that roll

Sure he was fine for his 10-12 heavily sheltered minutes a night, until they played a team where the coaching staff considered him unplayable, I want to get some depth that they could potentially use in a Florida series if they have to

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Yeh me too- regular season is clearly tamer and he’s got times where he’s been very good

Smart guy - likeable - basically a coach

For a mil? Hell yeh

Btw- make sure you give those kids of yours the draft party passes - free beer and food lol
I have to believe they are up to something with having a draft party

Reactions: bbfan419

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Is Lindholm a better fit as a #2 sure, but this is a league that doesn't have 30 #1 centers , same is true of defensemen and goalies.

Sure he was fine for his 10-12 heavily sheltered minutes a night, until they played a team where the coaching staff considered him unplayable, I want to get some depth that they could potentially use in a Florida series if they have to
Not sure he was playing unless someone was injured. Thankfully didn't need to find out

Yeh me too- very weird

If you go let me know I’m bringing Glorydaze from here - he’s entertaining as hell
I just may do that

Reactions: DKH

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I understand what you are saying, however consider Lindholm immediately becomes the best center on the team.

Personally I don't see a massive gap between him and Charlie Coyle. Their production the past 2 seasons is virtually identical. I'd give Lindholm the edge without the puck but he's also going to be paid substantially more money. Reputation largely built on a complete anomaly season he'll never replicate.

To use another car analogy, Lindholm is like paying an extra 30% for the top-of-the-line trim package when the mid-tier version (Coyle) gets the job done adequately.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Personally I don't see a massive gap between him and Charlie Coyle. Their production the past 2 seasons is virtually identical. I'd give Lindholm the edge without the puck but he's also going to be paid substantially more money. Reputation largely built on a complete anomaly season he'll never replicate.

To use another car analogy, Lindholm is like paying an extra 30% for the top-of-the-line trim package when the mid-tier version (Coyle) gets the job done adequately.
Don't be sleeping on air conditioned seats!

Reactions: DKH and BruinDust

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He would wouldn’t he ?

He lives in Carolina maybe goes there but Krug back third pair - I’m in

If he’s cheap I’ll take him but I kind of agree with the sentiment someone else said. A LHD group of Lindholm/lohrei/krug is charmin ultra soft.

Personally I think this team would require too much of an overhaul to be the tough/gritty team needed to match florida.

So zig when they zag and just try to overwhelm them with talent. If we can get krug for 1.5m or less go for it.

Would krug even pick up if the bruins called considering how it ended?

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If he’s cheap I’ll take him but I kind of agree with the sentiment someone else said. A LHD group of Lindholm/lohrei/krug is charmin ultra soft.

Personally I think this team would require too much of an overhaul to be the tough/gritty team needed to match florida.

So zig when they zag and just try to overwhelm them with talent. If we can get krug for 1.5m or less go for it.
I hear yeh but I like Krug a lot and connects me to those teams when I was in my 50’s lol

Florida going to be interesting to see how they keep team together which I think they probably can

I want this series over and commence mayhem

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
His shot is still lethal but I feel like he's broken goods at this point.

A lot of guys on Vegas and Florida were seen that way too. I love calculating and looking for players with something to prove and the possibility of moving cap space = to what they bring in. Good old-fashioned hockey trades.

Bringing the viking to Boston may be the injection in skill they were lacking. Add that to a Lindholm signing and suddenly the top six just added two new faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad