Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
All of this. They need an injection of hammer instead of nail in the lineup, for sure.

But I don't think you can gloss over that Vegas had speed/skill sprinkled in all over the lineup with Eichel, Stephenson, Marchassault, Karlsson, Smith, Kessel, etc. as well, that you had to worry about defending.

I guess it just comes down to the fact that the team has too many guys who "play the right way" but don't cause anxiety (either through skill or through pain). Lindholm fits in the lineup SO WELL, but he isn't helping that problem. You need to swap out some of the Zacha, Coyle, Heinen, Carlo, Forbort, H Lindhom, the reality of Frederic, etc energy for players that can cause for mistakes one way or another from the opposition.

Obviously, nothing wrong with "guys who play the right way", either, just think the balance is off on this team. Too many responsible and cerebral guys who just know how to make the right play.
Couldn't agree more, especially the 2nd point. Can't forecheck without speed up front, but as you touched on, speed alone doesn't necessarily make you good at forcing mistakes.

Lindholm doesn't quite play that way but he could give them an opportunity to move Coyle this season or next, maybe even to Vancouver to be that excellent 3rd line center they can't afford to pay Lindholm to be. I wonder if they're on his no trade list. If they could get another center, Poitras could eventually push Lindholm down to the 3rd line here and it wouldn't be as unaffordable with the cap increasing.

They really need to blow out the supporting forwards and build more towards that style. Trade Geekie and Frederic and don't resign anybody. You'd better be Ondrej Kase or looking for any opportunity to knock people around if you're not a skill player on this team.

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm sure he completely made it up but still fun to see.
That's pretty funny. Maybe I need to embrace this make shit up trend. :laugh:

You know I traveled to Tibet last week to see the Dalai Lama. I needed some perspective on those these crazy Lohrei rumors I'd been hearing.

He told me "The only way I see them moving Lohrei is if it’s for an elite center like Leon Draisaitl. They love that kid, and I don’t blame them. He’s the real deal.”

Nice guy. He poured me some tea and then we talked about how to rewire my sump pump in the basement. His Holiness (he asked me to call him 1 - 4 by the way) is actually remarkably mechanically inclined for a guy who lives a life of austerity.
:laugh:

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
For a team that struggled to score in the playoffs I’m not exactly sure how this is the solution
For me he has potential to score. He has good hands and would get the puck to Pasta. Playoff grit for me

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think we need a guy on each line; ideally two goal scorers for the top 2 lines, and two pretty heavy guys for the bottom six (I'm sold on Maroon, Beecher, Brazeau, Lauko). I also think we need a hammer on the backend that can play; I'm pretty sold on Edmundson, I think he'd be about the right price and thought he looked good in the opening round. Then of course Swayman & a backup.

Using some estimates from an analytics spreadsheet someone shared here a while back. Pick two of these guys & one third liner below; outside of a trade of course. I'm not sure if I'm missing anyone.

LW -
Bertuzzi - $5,300,000 for 4
Mantha - $,4,750,000 for 4
DeBrusk - $5,800,000 for 5
Teravainen - $5,300,000 for 4

C -
Lindholm - $7,000,000 for 5
Stephenson - $5,750,000 for 5

RW -
Marchessault - $6,300,000 for 3
Bertuzzi - $5,300,000 for 4
Mantha - $4,750,000 for 4
Toffoli - $6,000,000 for 4

Then pick one of these guys for the third line;
Domi - $3,750,000 for 3
Joshua - $3,400,000 for 4
Heinen - $2,750,000 for 3
Lafferty - $2,400,000 for 3

for me, I think it's
Bertuzzi at LW, Marchessault at RW, and Joshua at LW for the third line. Add Swyman, Maroon & Edmundson and that's a big jump in scoring and physicality from this year. The numbers work based off those analytics, along with Ullmark being traded for picks.

I think a lot of those numbers are low.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Lindholm at 7.5 is as much as I would go. That's 2.25 more per year than Coyle who signed his deal years ago. Lindholm is the better player overall and would be the #1 Center on the team. In a perfect world a #2 Center but I don't think 7.5 per would be an over payment.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Again this team needs talent and grit

Idk about anyone else but I want to see them make trades for picks. Need to replenish our picks and get some good high end drafted talent here

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Frederic is one of my favorite Bruins. Popisil would be my winger opposite Maroon or Duhaime. Need to wake the team up (they sleep through way to many games currently) send Popisil and Duhaime out and tell them to not worry about the puck.
Yes. Good points. I watched Popisil enough this year to see the talent. There were games he was one of the better players on the ice. Great skater and tough. Good at dishing the puck. For me a instant fan favourite. Duhaime has speed. Our bottom 6 would be so fun to watch and be great in the playoffs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Know of any such player who is available?

Marchessault fits the bill for me. Stamkos too. Both are a little older but the contract would also be shorter than say a Lindholm who is a future buy-out waiting to happen with a 7-8 year deal.

Marchessault was 7th in EV scoring last year with Pasta was 6th. Put them both on separate lines, Marchessault bumper on the PP.

In the trade market I have no idea. Necas I guess.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Yes but you still need a center. And you ain't getting one less flawed than Lindholm on the trade market without giving up pieces that make folks angry. Names like Carlo, Poitras and Lorhei.
Or Swayman. I think Ullmark is a solid starting goaltender

You know, if you move Ullmark and Coyle out for futures, you could pay them both that.
I’m not opposed to that

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Maybe; they're not my numbers, but it looks like a lot of statistical work was put into the spreadsheet; lots of data & comparable players, etc. Looks similar to something an agent or assistant general manager might work off.

Totally, just think that the flat cap years leads to some funky inputs into the data. Guys were getting squeezed more than they normally would. And you always get those few guys at the end of UFA that get had for steals because they don’t find a partner that messes up the averages.

Reactions: SPV

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I think the right call to make is to go for Lindholm, who comes in to the team and is instantly Boston's best center. I am concerned that he may not age into his 30's like Bergeron did but for the next couple of seasons, I think he'll still be a very good player.

I like Poitras and I think ideally he comes in as Boston's 2nd line center, but it's hard to predict right now how he'll look in season 2 on a team that is looking to compete. He would certainly help make it easier for Boston to focus on a winger for the 2nd line if they feel he's ready. Can Bertuzzi play RW? A very interesting scenerio there, as the Bruins have a top prospect RW who would be perfect for a 2nd line if he's ready, which would be ideal for them to have another ELC contract in a key spot to fit some other bigger tickets on the team.

Zacha -- Lindholm -- Pasta

Marchand -- Poitras -- XXXXX

Frederic -- Coyle -- Geekie

Beecher -- Boqvist -- Brazeau
I love that depth.

No more Jeff Carter?!?
Retired would have been nice for depth for playoff run this year. Jeff carter one of the best .

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Marchessault fits the bill for me. Stamkos too. Both are a little older but the contract would also be shorter than say a Lindholm who is a future buy-out waiting to happen with a 7-8 year deal.

Marchessault was 7th in EV scoring last year with Pasta was 6th. Put them both on separate lines, Marchessault bumper on the PP.

I am on your side, would rather sign players to a 3-4 year deal vs 6-7 and I really like Stamer and JM.
If we could get JM for 2-3 years at 6.5M AAV and Stamer at 8.0M I do it.
These signings also allow the forwards we have in the juniors to develop ( Pelosi,Hendrickson,Locmelis, Spicer, etc)
Ullmark would have to be dealt for prospects / picks so we have enough cap space to get another LHD and sign Swayze.

I love that depth.

Retired would have been nice for depth for playoff run this year. Jeff carter one of the best .
Carter is finished, had a great career and I really liked him when he was a Flyer, there are better options out there for us.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
This team needs alot of pieces if they wanna get to the SCF 2 centers 2 top 9 wings 1 LHD
If this team had 1 top six center and 1 more top six winger they very well could have been in the SCF this year. the inability to convert grade A chances once again cost them, not because of effort but because they dont have the talent bury their opportunities

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Stamkos hasn't pushed the offensive for a long time (if he ever did).

Marchessault not really a playmaker either. But I'd agree, would really like to sign him.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Stamkos hasn't pushed the offensive for a long time (if he ever did).

Marchessault not really a playmaker either. But I'd agree, would really like to sign him.

Marchessault and Stamkos can create their own looks and aren't reliant on their line-mates to dictate their success. Marchessault is a dynamic goal scorer, scores goals multiple different ways. And he can carry the puck and make plays. Neither are the ideal solution although Marchessault fits the bill more than Stamkos who is less dynamic.

At the end of the day, there are only two types of forwards, those who drive and create, and those who read and compliment their line-mates. The Bruins are loaded with complimentary guys (Zacha, Geekie, Coyle, Frederic, Debrusk and Heinen if either return). Complimentary isn't a knock, it just means more consideration needs to be taken into where they play, who they play with, and how they fit into the overall composition.

Lindholm is a fine player. He can help any line. The issue is if you want to get the most out of him relative to what you are playing him he needs the right line-mates and they just don't have that right now and that should be the priority. He comes in at 8 million per, you need him up around 25-30 goals, 75-80 pts. and I don't think he can do that here unless better players are also added. I'm not giving a guy 8 million to be a 50-55 point two-way center. He'll never come close to that 2021-22 season regardless. I'd bet my house on it.

This is like going car shopping. Your partner really wants a new Corvette to keep them happy, but there are no Corvettes on the market so you come home with a Honda Accord (Lindholm). Solid, reliable car. But now your money tied up and when that Corvette you really need hits the market you have no way to pay for it.

Bruins need to leave the Accords on the lot and focus on a new Corvette even if they have to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad