Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Elias Lindholm may have inherited the title from Carey Price as the NHL's most overrated player. He had one huge year stapled to the hips of Gaudreau and Tkachuk (70% of his time at EV) and people think he's an elite offensive player and he's not. He doesn't drive play, to get the most out of him he needs two play drivers on each wing. A solid all-around complimentary center.

Guentzel, Stamkos, Reinhart, and Marchessault are top tier UFA forwards available. Even Reinhart is a complimentary player but he's an elite shooter, maybe the best quick-shot release in the game today.

Lindholm in that 2nd tier of UFA forwards IMO but some GM will pay him like he's in the top tier.
I agree with all of this but who are your top 2 centers? Are you comfortable using Zacha and Coyle again in those roles? I'm not. Lindholm is flawed and will get overpaid but he is a better center than Zacha or Coyle.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I agree with all of this but who are your top 2 centers? Are you comfortable using Zacha and Coyle again in those roles? I'm not. Lindholm is flawed and will get overpaid but he is a better center than Zacha or Coyle.
Not to sure I agree with you, maybe better wings might have helped both Zacka and Coyle, I know everyone wants an upgrade at center but it would be a awful move to sign or trade for a center that does not improve you that much more and may cost you more just to satisfy the base, and I believe a move to Lindholm does just that. Take a look at getting stronger on the wing and show patients on acquiring a center.

Reactions: Gordoff and Number8

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Not to sure I agree with you, maybe better wings might have helped both Zacka and Coyle, I know everyone wants an upgrade at center but it would be a awful move to sign or trade for a center that does not improve you that much more and may cost you more just to satisfy the base, and I believe a move to Lindholm does just that. Take a look at getting stronger on the wing and show patients on acquiring a center.
I'm all over this. I'd love a #1 Center like all of us. However, I really believe patience is the key here.

We've got a ton of cap, hopefully Linus turns into an opportunity to trade an area of strength to add in an area of weakness, and some of our kids are showing much more potential than some (I, for example) originally believed.

Go hard to improve this off season if you can. But do it wisely. If the right deal isn't there, don't force it.

GM's tend to view Cap Space as bonus time -- "what the hell, I have the money" kind of thing. But boy, staring down the barrel of a Mike Reilly contract when you NEED the space to get the team over the hump sure hurts. Hindsight is 20/20 but often with UFA spending it's not even necessary. Some deals look bad from the get go.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'm all over this. I'd love a #1 Center like all of us. However, I really believe patience is the key here.

We've got a ton of cap, hopefully Linus turns into an opportunity to trade an area of strength to add in an area of weakness, and some of our kids are showing much more potential than some (I, for example) originally believed.

Go hard to improve this off season if you can. But do it wisely. If the right deal isn't there, don't force it.

GM's tend to view Cap Space as bonus time -- "what the hell, I have the money" kind of thing. But boy, staring down the barrel of a Mike Reilly contract when you NEED the space to get the team over the hump sure hurts. Hindsight is 20/20 but often with UFA spending it's not even necessary. Some deals look bad from the get go.
Well said, be careful with your cap space and don't spend just to spend.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think we need a guy on each line; ideally two goal scorers for the top 2 lines, and two pretty heavy guys for the bottom six (I'm sold on Maroon, Beecher, Brazeau, Lauko). I also think we need a hammer on the backend that can play; I'm pretty sold on Edmundson, I think he'd be about the right price and thought he looked good in the opening round. Then of course Swayman & a backup.

Using some estimates from an analytics spreadsheet someone shared here a while back. Pick two of these guys & one third liner below; outside of a trade of course. I'm not sure if I'm missing anyone.

LW -
Bertuzzi - $5,300,000 for 4
Mantha - $,4,750,000 for 4
DeBrusk - $5,800,000 for 5
Teravainen - $5,300,000 for 4

C -
Lindholm - $7,000,000 for 5
Stephenson - $5,750,000 for 5

RW -
Marchessault - $6,300,000 for 3
Bertuzzi - $5,300,000 for 4
Mantha - $4,750,000 for 4
Toffoli - $6,000,000 for 4

Then pick one of these guys for the third line;
Domi - $3,750,000 for 3
Joshua - $3,400,000 for 4
Heinen - $2,750,000 for 3
Lafferty - $2,400,000 for 3

for me, I think it's
Bertuzzi at LW, Marchessault at RW, and Joshua at LW for the third line. Add Swyman, Maroon & Edmundson and that's a big jump in scoring and physicality from this year. The numbers work based off those analytics, along with Ullmark being traded for picks.

Last edited:

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Does Ullmark get you a center, does the rumored 10th overall from NJ for Ullmark get you a center or become a piece to get a better than Lindholm top 2 center? Who is it? I don't think Zegras fits, in fact that could be a huge backfire for a number of reasons, not the least of which is he still probably has a lot of his BU friends still here. I really don't want a repeat of Seguin where they tire of him because of his off ice activities and attitude. So who would do a top 2 center for the 10th overall and Lysell/Merkulov? Barzal, Erickson-Ek, Tavares? Those are the top 2 centers on teams that either have cap issues or goalie issues that might move a top center. I take all of them over Lindholm but can the Bruins get any of them? Do you want to improve Toronto with Ullmark or picks and cap space?

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I want a forward added who slots as the 2nd best play driver on the team behind Pasta and ahead of the aging Marchand. I don't care if that player is a winger or a center. Today's game you can drive offense just as easily (if not moreso) from the wing.

I'm not even interested in Reinhart as he needs players who can get him the puck in those soft areas, rarely creates offense on his own.

A complimentary center like Lindholm isn't what this team needs IMO. If they are adding a center, he needs to be able to drive play. If that center isn't available this summer, so be it, they shouldn't force it or make a bad decision out of desperation.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I also think folks are underestimating the potential this season with Poitras. IMO he’s capable of locking down a role in the top 6 this coming season, be it at wing or center.

1000% He is so smart and skilled. Just needs to bulk up,

Go and watch this video from Elite Prospects - he really shines -

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I’d pay Guentzel 9.5m before giving 8m to Lindholm
I'm not good at valuing players.

That said, I'm with you. Not sure what correct numbers are but I value Guentzel much more than Lindholm. To me he's one of those winner type players. Mark Recchi like in terms of seeming to know what it takes to win and succeed.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I want a forward added who slots as the 2nd best play driver on the team behind Pasta and ahead of the aging Marchand. I don't care if that player is a winger or a center. Today's game you can drive offense just as easily (if not moreso) from the wing.

I'm not even interested in Reinhart as he needs players who can get him the puck in those soft areas, rarely creates offense on his own.

A complimentary center like Lindholm isn't what this team needs IMO. If they are adding a center, he needs to be able to drive play. If that center isn't available this summer, so be it, they shouldn't force it or make a bad decision out of desperation.

Know of any such player who is available?

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
1000% He is so smart and skilled. Just needs to bulk up,

Go and watch this video from Elite Prospects - he really shines -

I think Poitras will become a good second line center in the next few years, not next year. The new "Core" is in their primes, I do not want to waste the best years of Swayman, McAvoy and Pasta like they did Bergeron, Chara, etc in the mid 2010's. They have a ton of cap space add the best center available, either through trade or free agency. add another top 6 forward, add a tough bottom 6 forward and tough D. I don't want to count on Poitras or rush him and ruin him.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think the right call to make is to go for Lindholm, who comes in to the team and is instantly Boston's best center. I am concerned that he may not age into his 30's like Bergeron did but for the next couple of seasons, I think he'll still be a very good player.

I like Poitras and I think ideally he comes in as Boston's 2nd line center, but it's hard to predict right now how he'll look in season 2 on a team that is looking to compete. He would certainly help make it easier for Boston to focus on a winger for the 2nd line if they feel he's ready. Can Bertuzzi play RW? A very interesting scenerio there, as the Bruins have a top prospect RW who would be perfect for a 2nd line if he's ready, which would be ideal for them to have another ELC contract in a key spot to fit some other bigger tickets on the team.

Zacha -- Lindholm -- Pasta

Marchand -- Poitras -- XXXXX

Frederic -- Coyle -- Geekie

Beecher -- Boqvist -- Brazeau

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I think the right call to make is to go for Lindholm, who comes in to the team and is instantly Boston's best center. I am concerned that he may not age into his 30's like Bergeron did but for the next couple of seasons, I think he'll still be a very good player.

I like Poitras and I think ideally he comes in as Boston's 2nd line center, but it's hard to predict right now how he'll look in season 2 on a team that is looking to compete. He would certainly help make it easier for Boston to focus on a winger for the 2nd line if they feel he's ready. Can Bertuzzi play RW? A very interesting scenerio there, as the Bruins have a top prospect RW who would be perfect for a 2nd line if he's ready, which would be ideal for them to have another ELC contract in a key spot to fit some other bigger tickets on the team.

Zacha -- Lindholm -- Pasta

Marchand -- Poitras -- XXXXX

Frederic -- Coyle -- Geekie

Beecher -- Boqvist -- Brazeau
Lindholm- 1C
Poitras- 2C
Marchessault/Necas- 2RW
Dillion 1LD

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
160E8DF6-CC74-4B7C-9F43-D0A0B6F96BE2.jpeg