Prospect Info: 2024-2025 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 08/29/2024)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
At this point, I'd trade KK for a scout or two that knows what they're doing researching Euro prospects. Because after Andersen, Kravtsov and Kakko we damn sure could use one.
Bobrov is long gone, and he was a big part of the problem re Krav and Lias

folks here seem optimistic about Chmelar and Vaisanen,
we have reason to believe that corner has already been turned

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Bobrov is long gone, and he was a big part of the problem re Krav and Lias

folks here seem optimistic about Chmelar and Vaisanen,
we have reason to believe that corner has already been turned

Bobrov was definitely a problem (Although he's a great guy to talk to). But the person to blame for the Lias Andersson pick is Anders Kallur and Jeff Gorton for letting him make the pick as a retirement gift.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
"Rasmus Larsson | Defenseman | 2023 New York Rangers Draft Pick | Hasselby, Sweden | Greenbay Gamblers - USHL
A 2023 5th-round pick of the New York Rangers, Rasmus Larsson is a 6'3' left-shot defenseman from Hasselby, Sweden, who currently plays for the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL. Larsson has been described as a sturdy, puck-moving defenseman with an accurate shot and plenty of natural athleticism .

The blueliner has four goals and 13 assists for 17 points this year during the regular season, where he is second in assists and points while third in goals among Gambler defensemen. Larsson only has eight penalty minutes on the year, the fewest among Gambler skaters who have appeared in 20 or more games, while holding a solid +7 rating. Before the USHL, Larsson played for both the Sweden U20 and U19 international teams as well as Västerås IK of Sweden's top junior league, where he was one of the top scoring defensemen, scoring 16 goals and 18 assists for 34 points and a +23 rating in 50 games during the 2022-23 season. In that season, his 16 goals led all J20 Nationell defensemen, his +/- rating was fifth, and his points total was seventh.

Coach Potulny on Larsson: "Rasmus is a long, smooth skating defenceman with incredible edge work. He is able to manipulate defenders on the offensive blueline and is someone who will be up in the rush for us next season. He has always generated offense and we believe that will continue to be the case at NMU."

SMOOTH SKATING
INCREDIBLE EDGE WORK
UP IN THE RUSH

please keep drafting this kind of profile. i like euro kids who matriculate through NA junior or NCAA where they develop that thick skin.

unlikely that a kid like this truly pans out but i'm glad to have this type of defensive depth in the pipeline

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
SMOOTH SKATING
INCREDIBLE EDGE WORK
UP IN THE RUSH

please keep drafting this kind of profile. i like euro kids who matriculate through NA junior or NCAA where they develop that thick skin.

unlikely that a kid like this truly pans out but i'm glad to have this type of defensive depth in the pipeline
He has a really interesting physical and skill profile. I liked the pick--he was a bit of a late bloomer, but with him committed to college hockey, he can go play for a few years and develop against guys his age. The NCAA is my favorite development track for guys who are 18 or 19 but are still working on figuring out their game.

Northern Michigan has several returning players on defense so he won't be asked to do too much too soon, although they really only had one guy that can provide offense from the back end and he transferred. So if Larsson plays well, the opportunity will be there to see big minutes pretty early on.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This article links to another article that's behind a paywall, but apparently Växjö of Sweden is interested in signing Karl Henriksson. Since he's an RFA, he could leave to play overseas even if the Rangers extend a QO. If that happened, we'd retain his rights until he turned 27.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
He has a really interesting physical and skill profile. I liked the pick--he was a bit of a late bloomer, but with him committed to college hockey, he can go play for a few years and develop against guys his age. The NCAA is my favorite development track for guys who are 18 or 19 but are still working on figuring out their game.

Northern Michigan has several returning players on defense so he won't be asked to do too much too soon, although they really only had one guy that can provide offense from the back end and he transferred. So if Larsson plays well, the opportunity will be there to see big minutes pretty early on.
Interesting development at Northern Michigan. The coach just resigned to take another position and when this happens the transfer portal opens up for team players. Don't know if or how this affects Larsson.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
This article links to another article that's behind a paywall, but apparently Växjö of Sweden is interested in signing Karl Henriksson. Since he's an RFA, he could leave to play overseas even if the Rangers extend a QO. If that happened, we'd retain his rights until he turned 27.

confirmed

Reactions: GAGLine and nyr2k2

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Not sure if this has shown up yet but Steve Kournianos has published his list of team prospect rankings. https://thedraftanalyst.substack.com/p/2023-24-nhl-farm-system-rankings

He has the Rangers at 19. His Rangers top ten is Perrault, Othmann, Berard, Girard, Sykora, BMB, Fortescue, Vaisanan, Lamb, Chmelar. He had Roobroeck, Larsson, Hendricks, Laba and Mancini as trending up. I would have Laba and Mancini in the top ten.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not sure if this has shown up yet but Steve Kournianos has published his list of team prospect rankings. 2023-24 NHL Farm System Rankings (Final)

He has the Rangers at 19. His Rangers top ten is Perrault, Othmann, Berard, Girard, Sykora, BMB, Fortescue, Vaisanan, Lamb, Chmelar. He had Roobroeck, Larsson, Hendricks, Laba and Mancini as trending up. I would have Laba and Mancini in the top ten.
Yeah, I've always been outspoken in support of Vaisanen but it's hard to justify him above Laba, Chmelar, and Mancini at the moment. I'm also not really sure Henricks is trending up at this point. He seems to be firmly in the "wait and see" category.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
is Ty Henricks really an nhl caliber prospect..
Hard to say. He has an interesting profile but obviously there's not been much production. I guess they're hoping he follows a Rempe-type development path. Maybe not with the fighting, but becoming a big guy who can throw his weight around and impact the game other ways. I'm not a big Rempe guy, but I am on record a few years ago as saying we shouldn't give him an ELC and that if we do he'll be an ECHL guy. I was wrong for sure. So maybe Henricks can also surprise. I'm still not sure he's "trending up" right now. Not after the season he had.

The good thing is he's going to college so we'll have several years to watch to see if he develops into something interesting.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Not sure if this has shown up yet but Steve Kournianos has published his list of team prospect rankings. 2023-24 NHL Farm System Rankings (Final)

Move Laba and Mancini in for Vaisanen and Lamb out (but not too far off top-10) and you got my vote.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Henricks was about to turn 18 when the Rangers drafted him. He was one of the younger players taken in his draft year and he is big and he skates well and those are things that factored into the Rangers drafting him. He's a long term project but he fits into a kind of draft trend the Rangers have been on since Drury became GM. He had an okay year with Muskegon. FWIW Brody Lamb had an okay year in the same league before going into his freshman year at Minnesota U. and his first year there he only put up 4 goals and 8 points. I'm kind of with nyr2k2.....wait and see with him. The same with Rasmus Larsson.

I'm also with kovazub 94 in that Mancini and Laba would definitely be in my top 10. Vaisanen and Lamb would not and I'd have them both even over BMB and Fortescue and pushing Sykora and Chmelar. Hartford's coach Smith was really impressed with Mancini after he joined the team and he was a key player for them the rest of the way right through the playoffs.

All that said a good argument could be made that Fortescue has higher upside than Mancini does making him a better prospect. Some people tend to go more that route when ordering their prospect lists. Others sometimes go the route of who might actually be closer to the NHL which often happens because a player has gotten older and is more a developed prospect or they try to balance both projectability with development so it shouldn't be a surprise to see different takes.

Last edited:

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
the speed at which Mancini became a go to guy for the Pack speaks very well if his game imo. I'm interested to see what the hartford blueline looks like next year. Hollowell was so productive for them but for some reason he doesn't seem to stick anywhere very long. Brouillard was a big piece as well. With the NCAA signings there's a lot of competition. Does Robertson have any more steps in him? I'm sure he'll get a preseason look.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
the speed at which Mancini became a go to guy for the Pack speaks very well if his game imo. I'm interested to see what the hartford blueline looks like next year. Hollowell was so productive for them but for some reason he doesn't seem to stick anywhere very long. Brouillard was a big piece as well. With the NCAA signings there's a lot of competition. Does Robertson have any more steps in him? I'm sure he'll get a preseason look.

It’s make or break for Robertson. Has to go through waivers. Some say Scanlin is higher on the depth chart and deserves a look as well.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
It’s make or break for Robertson. Has to go through waivers. Some say Scanlin is higher on the depth chart and deserves a look as well.
Both Scanlin and Roberston will need waivers to demote
Most likely to claim Scanlin, or even Roberston, may be Grier/SJS, as with Emberson,
Grier was in NYR FO prior to SJS GM

Most teams wouldn't claim guys with 0 or 1 NHL games played
... But Roberston was a major guy for the Edmonton oil Kings ...

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Hollowell is a good skater with offensive skill. But he's not very good defensively. Never played PK. Was in the Toronto organization which is desperate for defensemen and that organization let him go. Brouillard has some offensive skill, not nearly as much as Hollowell, and is not good i his own zone. They're fine at the AHL level but aren't NHL players in my opinion. Hartford announced it has resigned Blake Hillman.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The other thing with Brouillard is he's not big, strong or all that physical but he takes tons and tons of 2 minute minors and the Pack had to kill off way too many power plays last year and he was the main culprit. I wouldn't re-sign him and would lean against Hollowell. That said the Pack are going to need someone to run their first unit power play.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The other thing with Brouillard is he's not big, strong or all that physical but he takes tons and tons of 2 minute minors and the Pack had to kill off way too many power plays last year and he was the main culprit. I wouldn't re-sign him and would lean against Hollowell. That said the Pack are going to need someone to run their first unit power play.
Yeah Brouillard is a nice story and definitely brings something to the table, but the whole package is lacking overall. They should let him walk, or if they bring him back he should be a spare.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Yeah Brouillard is a nice story and definitely brings something to the table, but the whole package is lacking overall. They should let him walk, or if they bring him back he should be a spare.
We all agree but Hartford needs someone to run the PP and fill in for Hallowell if he doesn’t come back.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Then all NHL teams must fire their scouts because none said that
… and how do we know that? Yes, Kakko was the consensus #2. How do we know that nobody had concerns? It’s a little revisionist to crush them, but I think it’s fair to ask a question when they mistook so many early round Euros.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
We all agree but Hartford needs someone to run the PP and fill in for Hallowell if he doesn’t come back.

There are some good vet AHL players that put up points that are UFA.

Derrick Pouliot
Calle Rosen
Nick DeSimone (Upstate NY guy)
Philippe Myers
Nick Blankenburg (Not a lot of points, but on the younger side as a G6 UFA that got some NHL games for the Jackets)
Hayden Fleury
Jacob MacDonald

I feel like Drury does a good job getting some AHL vets every July 1, some hit, some don't, but he's not afraid to pay guys to get them to come to Hartford. Louis Domingue has signed 2 1 way deals with the Rangers getting him minimum NHL salary even in the minors. He gave Alex Belzile 500 grand min last year, and 775 guaranteed next season. Connor Mackey got 400 grand last year and signed a new two year deal which gets him at least 435 each season. Ben Harpur got 775 and 800 on a 2 year deal. Anton Blidh got 385 guaranteed each of his two years.

Reactions: Ranger Ric

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad