Prospect Info: 2024-2025 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 08/29/2024)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Of the Rangers forward prospects in and outside of Hartford (with the possible/probable exception of Gabriel Perreault) to make the Rangers they're going to have to develop well rounded games and none of them besides Perreault are going to be seeing top 6 ice time with the NHL team any time in the foreseeable future. That said I can see some of them pushing into our bottom 6 rather quickly or within the next couple years.

Sometimes I think people emphasize the center position too much. Zibanejad has 6 years and Trocheck have 5 years remaining. Neither are going anywhere anytime soon. Chytil if he can stay healthy is a solid player. So I don't see the center position as a big issue.

The way I'd rank the Rangers forward prospects right now in Hartford:

1. Adam Edstrom
2. Brennan Othmann
3. Brett Berard--though he might jump past Othmann
4. Adam Sykora
5. Jaroslav Chmelar
6. Bryce McConnell-Barker
7. Dylan Roobroeck
8. Kalle Vaisanen
9. Ryder Korczak

As for D prospects

1. Victor Mancini--he pretty much immediately became Hartford's best defensive d-man after signing out of college
2. Brandon Scanlin
3. Matthew Robertson---I think it's a flip of the coin between him and Scanlin right now.

And goalie:

1. Dylan Garand
2. Hugo Ollas
3. Talyn Boyko

That said next year's call ups might go to vets like Belzile, Leschyshyn, Harpur, Mackey and Domingue.

Also that it's not clear the Rangers will re-sign any of Henriksson, Trivigno or Lindbom.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Definitely need to draft some dmen and another late round goalie this year. We are getting super thin there
The problem is, we are thin on picks as well. No 2nd round pick until 2027. No 3rd round pick until 2026. Only one 4th round pick (this year) until 2027.

We may trade back from 30 this year and add a pick or two. And Drury will need to be a bit more frugal at the deadline next year.

Reactions: kovazub94

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
The problem is, we are thin on picks as well. No 2nd round pick until 2027. No 3rd round pick until 2026. Only one 4th round pick (this year) until 2027.

We may trade back from 30 this year and add a pick or two. And Drury will need to be a bit more frugal at the deadline next year.
Yup. Part of the reason i was annoyed with the reluwedahl trade.

It was unnecessary especially since he barely played and we already had a dearth of picks

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Yup. Part of the reason i was annoyed with the reluwedahl trade.

It was unnecessary especially since he barely played and we already had a dearth of picks
I was fine with that. We needed a body in case of injuries. Giving up 2nd and 4th round picks for Wennberg was the bigger issue IMO.

We actually traded our 4th in 2027 for Ruhwedel, so we have our 4th this year, and then don't have another until 2028.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Of the Rangers forward prospects in and outside of Hartford (with the possible/probable exception of Gabriel Perreault) to make the Rangers they're going to have to develop well rounded games and none of them besides Perreault are going to be seeing top 6 ice time with the NHL team any time in the foreseeable future. That said I can see some of them pushing into our bottom 6 rather quickly or within the next couple years.

Sometimes I think people emphasize the center position too much. Zibanejad has 6 years and Trocheck have 5 years remaining. Neither are going anywhere anytime soon. Chytil if he can stay healthy is a solid player. So I don't see the center position as a big issue.

1. Adam Edstrom
2. Brennan Othmann
4. Adam Sykora
5. Jaroslav Chmelar
7. Dylan Roobroeck
8. Kalle Vaisanen
9. Ryder Korczak

As for D prospects

1. Victor Mancini--he pretty much immediately became Hartford's best defensive d-man after signing out of college
2. Brandon Scanlin
3. Matthew Robertson---I think it's a flip of the coin between him and Scanlin right now.

And goalie:

1. Dylan Garand
2. Hugo Ollas
3. Talyn Boyko

That said next year's call ups might go to vets like Belzile, Leschyshyn, Harpur, Mackey and Domingue.

Also that it's not clear the Rangers will re-sign any of Henriksson, Trivigno or Lindbom.
I think there are three reasons that we should emphasize the center position whether it be in the draft or free agency.

1. It's true that Mika and Trocheck are locked up for years. But will they be healthy during all of those years? And who fills in during an injury? The Rangers had to trade for Wennberg when Chytil was injured. There needs to be more depth to deal if an injury occurs.

2. While I hope that Chytil stays healthy and I agree he is a solid player if he does, that's a risky bet and given his history I wouldn't put all of my chips down on that outcome. In addition, if the Rangers had a third line center, Chytil could be moved to the wing. We saw that opportunity during the playoffs.

3. Anyone watching Hartford this year would notice that center was the big weak spot on the team. When Brodzinski was called up and Nash was hurt the offense tanked. For the Hartford wingers to improve they need more creative from their centers than Hartford had last year. I think that's particularly true for Othmann. Hopefully BMB and Roobroeck can have a positive impact but it's not a guarantee.

Reactions: cwede

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
I think there are three reasons that we should emphasize the center position whether it be in the draft or free agency.

1. It's true that Mika and Trocheck are locked up for years. But will they be healthy during all of those years? And who fills in during an injury? The Rangers had to trade for Wennberg when Chytil was injured. There needs to be more depth to deal if an injury occurs.

2. While I hope that Chytil stays healthy and I agree he is a solid player if he does, that's a risky bet and given his history I wouldn't put all of my chips down on that outcome. In addition, if the Rangers had a third line center, Chytil could be moved to the wing. We saw that opportunity during the playoffs.

3. Anyone watching Hartford this year would notice that center was the big weak spot on the team. When Brodzinski was called up and Nash was hurt the offense tanked. For the Hartford wingers to improve they need more creative from their centers than Hartford had last year. I think that's particularly true for Othmann. Hopefully BMB and Roobroeck can have a positive impact but it's not a guarantee.
Every single year there are at least 3-4 overage CHL centermen hanging around that put up 100+ points. Couple years back I badly wanted the Rangers to take a flier on Arshdeep Bains and he appears to be a keeper for the Canucks. IMO we should just sign a bunch of dudes like this and hope a couple of them stick.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

That's all fine but our draft position is 30 this year and a C taken at such spot is going to need some time to develop and it's really a throw of the dice that he'll ever develop to the point where he's going to be a top 6 forward let alone a top 6 C.....and the future next several years looks pretty much the same we're going to be be drafting later in rounds. I wouldn't want us to get into this routine of just taking who we think might be the best option C left year after year trying to force something to happen.

Last year we drafted a bit earlier than 30 and Perreault a winger fell in our laps. That's not going to happen every year and less likely the later we pick. If there is an obvious best player you always take that guy no matter the position. If there isn't an obvious best player then you can decide more positionally or more towards a team need and as much as some might think C is that position I think it's more D. Most of our best prospects are forwards. As for guys who can step in and replace a Zibanejad or Trocheck it's pretty much Chytil----other teams don't really have great options who can step in and replace their top players if they go down either. It's the nature of how the NHL is set up with 32 teams vying for talent.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

1. Adam Edstrom
2. Brennan Othmann
4. Adam Sykora
5. Jaroslav Chmelar
7. Dylan Roobroeck
8. Kalle Vaisanen
9. Ryder Korczak

As for D prospects

2. Brandon Scanlin

And goalie:

1. Dylan Garand
2. Hugo Ollas
3. Talyn Boyko

i don't think that's necessarily true at all. things can change very quickly with an nhl roster and nothing is off the table going out beyond maybe 12-18 months max, no matter how unlikely any given change might look today.

i don't see a ton of potential in the pool outside of perrault to demand top 6 ice time any time soon, but pleasant surprises happen - though rarely for the rangers. that said, should someone emerge that obviously belongs in the top 6, the rangers aren't going to just handicap themselves until a contract expires. there's virtually no chance all 3 of mika, troch, and chytil play out their deals in ny. troch is the most likely based on term and his versatility, but i can't see any chance mika sees the end of that deal....his level of play and what options emerge internally/externally will dictate when and how that plays out. i'd be surprised if chytil is still on the roster at the end of next season, and that may be a generous estimate.

long story short, i don't think the state of the current roster can impede the ascension of a prospect that's an obvious upgrade to any given spot beyond maybe a season. teams will figure something out

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Yes it's all of our all offense Dmen that are the problem.
Another Miller that has size but rather have the opposition skate around him cause he loves the poke check is an issue. Imagine if Miller played defense and hit with the size he has

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

I’m all for trading back but I have a sneaky suspicion that the story about Dolan wanting to be on his stage in the 1st round is true despite Brooks article to the contrary.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It wouldn't surprise me if the Rangers could get a decent return for Kakko they might move him and it could be for....or include draft picks. The thing is though that you make deals to make the team better either at the NHL level and/or organizationally.....not just to get anything back at all and just because you're frustrated with a player's progress and Kaapo as disappointing as he's been has proven to be a real deal NHL'er and is still pretty young. There are teams that might see potential in his breaking out given a whole new setting. I wouldn't trade him though for a poor or mediocre return. A team that is looking to trade for him is also looking for him to be everything he hasn't been here so far.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
It wouldn't surprise me if the Rangers could get a decent return for Kakko they might move him and it could be for....or include draft picks. The thing is though that you make deals to make the team better either at the NHL level and/or organizationally.....not just to get anything back at all and just because you're frustrated with a player's progress and Kaapo as disappointing as he's been has proven to be a real deal NHL'er and is still pretty young. There are teams that might see potential in his breaking out given a whole new setting. I wouldn't trade him though for a poor or mediocre return. A team that is looking to trade for him is also looking for him to be everything he hasn't been here so far.
At this point, I'd trade KK for a scout or two that knows what they're doing researching Euro prospects. Because after Andersen, Kravtsov and Kakko we damn sure could use one.

Based on how Lias and Vitaly performed on their new teams and eventually happened to their NHL careers, I'd have zero expectation that Kakko's would turn out any better someplace else. He just doesn't have the goods.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
At this point, I'd trade KK for a scout or two that knows what they're doing researching Euro prospects. Because after Andersen, Kravtsov and Kakko we damn sure could use one.

Based on how Lias and Vitaly performed on their new teams and eventually happened to their NHL careers, I'd have zero expectation that Kakko's would turn out any better someplace else. He just doesn't have the goods.

Literally every single team, would have picked Kakko 2nd like we did. This has nothing to do with our "scouting".

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Literally every single team, would have picked Kakko 2nd like we did. This has nothing to do with our "scouting".
Yes it does. We want scouts that have the sack to say, 'I know this guy is the univeral #2 OA in this draft but here's why we should NOT take him.....'

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
To be fair, the 2019 1st round had a pretty lackluster top group outside of Hughes. Some of the guys drafted around Kakko are also on the verge of being traded or have already been traded by their drafting team (Dach was 3OA by CHI who traded him 3 yrs later in 2022 to MTL for 13 OA+a 3rd rounder; Byram was 4OA by COL and went 1:1 for Middelstadt, Zegras at 9OA on the outs in ANH). 5OA Alex Turcotte in LA hasn't set the world on fire either and I know we've kicked tires around here on his name. Biggest 1st round hits so far have been Hughes, Caufield, Spencer Knight, and Matt Boldy.

To call Kakko a bust is disingenuous. A disappointment output-wise so far for his draft position, sure. But I don't think there's much doubt he can be an effective NHLer if he was cast properly/if he could figure out what kind of player he's trying to be. It always feels like neither he nor the Rangers know the answer to that.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
"Rasmus Larsson | Defenseman | 2023 New York Rangers Draft Pick | Hasselby, Sweden | Greenbay Gamblers - USHL
A 2023 5th-round pick of the New York Rangers, Rasmus Larsson is a 6'3' left-shot defenseman from Hasselby, Sweden, who currently plays for the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL. Larsson has been described as a sturdy, puck-moving defenseman with an accurate shot and plenty of natural athleticism .

The blueliner has four goals and 13 assists for 17 points this year during the regular season, where he is second in assists and points while third in goals among Gambler defensemen. Larsson only has eight penalty minutes on the year, the fewest among Gambler skaters who have appeared in 20 or more games, while holding a solid +7 rating. Before the USHL, Larsson played for both the Sweden U20 and U19 international teams as well as Västerås IK of Sweden's top junior league, where he was one of the top scoring defensemen, scoring 16 goals and 18 assists for 34 points and a +23 rating in 50 games during the 2022-23 season. In that season, his 16 goals led all J20 Nationell defensemen, his +/- rating was fifth, and his points total was seventh.

Coach Potulny on Larsson: "Rasmus is a long, smooth skating defenceman with incredible edge work. He is able to manipulate defenders on the offensive blueline and is someone who will be up in the rush for us next season. He has always generated offense and we believe that will continue to be the case at NMU."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad