Speculation: 2024-2025 General Lightning Discussion: Preseason Edition

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well, we certainly aren't "balanced", our 1st line is going to have to carry us again, but we were also 5th in GF last year. Swapping Stamkos with Guentzel carries with it some risk, that's a move made after this years D was already sorted out though.

A top 5 GA and a top 5 GF team wins us the conference
I think the bet JBB is making is that we will improve 5v5 while staying about the same on the PP. And, even if we take a step back on the PP, it might be worth it to improve 5v5.

Hagel put up points last year even when off the 1st line, although his goal total dipped. If he can even give us 50 5v5 points in a 2nd line role, we are a better team at ES than last year.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
We need Sheary and Atkinson to do more than just have decent point totals, they need to play good defense as well. Last year Sheary was the softest player I've seen in a Lightning uniform since Lukas Krajicek.

Our defense does look balanced on paper, for what that's worth. We need Hedman and Moser to click. Raddysh, and whoever he gels with, should be a stronger than usual third pair. And then McD and Cernak should be the one known going in. Then it's how much does everybody still have left in the tank - Hedman, McD.... Cernak is only 27?? I thought he was an old man.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We need Sheary and Atkinson to do more than just have decent point totals, they need to play good defense as well. Last year Sheary was the softest player I've seen in a Lightning uniform since Lukas Krajicek.

Our defense does look balanced on paper, for what that's worth. We need Hedman and Moser to click. Raddysh, and whoever he gels with, should be a stronger than usual third pair. And then McD and Cernak should be the one known going in. Then it's how much does everybody still have left in the tank - Hedman, McD.... Cernak is only 27?? I thought he was an old man.
I don't expect Moser to stick on the the right side, but if he does, it will be a huge bonus, because it kind of puts Raddysh in the Shattenkirk role. Sort of replaces some of Sergachev's puck-moving, while not seeing enough ice or quality of competition to really hurt us.

Reactions: OffBy1

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't expect Moser to stick on the the right side, but if he does, it will be a huge bonus, because it kind of puts Raddysh in the Shattenkirk role. Sort of replaces some of Sergachev's puck-moving, while not seeing enough ice or quality of competition to really hurt us.

Obviously it looks like coaches don't agree, but I think Raddysh's defense is above average, I would have given him at least a tie with Perbix.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Obviously it looks like coaches don't agree, but I think Raddysh's defense is above average, I would have given him at least a tie with Perbix.

They don't agree that his defense is suspect by giving him mostly o-zone starts and purposely keeping him off the PK? Now Perbix doesn't PK much either but he's taking 55% d-zone starts while being on the ice for less goals against than Raddysh who starts 55% on the other end and still ends up bleeding out more goals.

You could get away with average, maybe but above average? lol If he had what you said he had there would be no point playing Moser on the right out of his comfort zone.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
They don't agree that his defense is suspect by giving him mostly o-zone starts and purposely keeping him off the PK? Now Perbix doesn't PK much either but he's taking 55% d-zone starts while being on the ice for less goals against than Raddysh who starts 55% on the other end and still ends up bleeding out more goals.

You could get away with average, maybe but above average? lol If he had what you said he had there would be no point playing Moser on the right out of his comfort zone.

Right, I don’t expect agreement. Maybe I have a skewed opinion from watching the travesty of D we iced last year. “Above average” is subjective

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Shattenkirk lead our team in both expected and actual goals against in 2020. Obviously he played easier minutes, but i still don't get where he gets his bad defensive rep when most of his career he was positive on that end.

Näyttökuva (10).png

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Shattenkirk lead our team in both expected and actual goals against in 2020. Obviously he played easier minutes, but i still don't get where he gets his bad defensive rep when most of his career he was positive on that end.

View attachment 914709

He wasn’t a bad defender, he had a bad rep. He didn’t screw up a lot, but when he did it was bad, he was also undersized so he had difficulty against larger forwards. On the whole he definitely wasn’t bad though, and Raddysh is a notch above him IMO, he doesn’t get out muscled often

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wonder if we go with 11F/7D because otherwise i have no idea why we keep having raddysh as the 7th D but also on the top powerplay

I think that PP1 might be our best option. I think Raddysh is underrated with the puck/decisions. He might be our best option for Stamkos's spot. It just won't be so one-timer based.

DFC made a Shattenkirk comparison, I think that’s pretty close but would easily still give the nod to Raddysh
I think Raddysh can give us similar offense too. Tough to say if it will dry up a bit if he's separated from Hedman, but I think his offense compares decently to post-prime Shattenkirk.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He wasn’t a bad defender, he had a bad rep. He didn’t screw up a lot, but when he did it was bad, he was also undersized so he had difficulty against larger forwards. On the whole he definitely wasn’t bad though, and Raddysh is a notch above him IMO, he doesn’t get out muscled often
Yup. Also as an offensive minded defenseman he would naturally opt for more risky plays that backfired from time to time like d-zone drop-passes or x-ice passes or deking around a forechecking forward etc. Such events are more prominent as they tend to result in highlight reel goals or chances for the opposition and are remembered and shared more hence the bad rep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad