2024-2025 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Physically peak, that means about as healthy and in as good of shape as you can get. It's most definitely going to have an effect on recovery time. Muscle recovery especially.
Physically peak referring to cardiovascular fitness measured by VO2 max, physical strength, or body fat percentage? I'm not aware of any evidence that any of those metrics have been shown to improve recovery time of lower extremity fractures. Do you have any studies on this?

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Physically peak referring to cardiovascular fitness measured by VO2 max, physical strength, or body fat percentage? I'm not aware of any evidence (and I highly doubt) that any of those metrics have been shown to improve recovery time of lower extremity fractures. Do you have any studies on this?

Are you only reading like 3 or 4 words of what I say?

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Are you only reading like 3 or 4 words of what I say?
"Healthy" and "as good shape as you can get" are actually quite vague, which is why I asked what you meant specifically. There is no single metric or variable that defines what "healthy" or "good shape" means.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
"Healthy" and "as good shape as you can get" are actually quite vague, which is why I asked what you meant specifically. There is no single metric or variable that defines what "healthy" or "good shape" means.
I understand what Xerloris is saying, but I'm in my mid-50s and run circles around most 25 year olds.

A great attitude and lots of laughing go a long way.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
There are lots of injuries deemed 'ankle fractures' that are much less serious than breaking your tibia and fibula. Jack Roslovic returned 6 weeks and 4 days after fracturing his ankle last season. I agree with you that most ankle fractures take much longer than 6 weeks to return to action. 6 weeks is very much optimistic given what we know and my guess is that we are talking about 8+ weeks.

But we don't know any of the details about his specific injury and there are scenarios where it was minor enough that he "only" has to stay off it for 4 weeks and then can begin strengthening the surrounding muscles while putting weight on it. We don't know whether it requires a surgery. 6 weeks in a boot/cast is pretty much the minimum following a surgery, but a small fracture that doesn't require surgery doesn't carry the same timelines.

My gut tells me that we probably don't see him until after Christmas, but the Blues have been cagey about using the term "will be re-evaluated in X time" for the last few years. Given how many times we've seen Blues returning right at the initial timeline, it appears that the Blues use that term to refer to the time they believe the player could be cleared to play.
Ankle fractures typically take between 6-12 weeks, so Roslovic coming back at 6 weeks doesn't mean he didn't have a breakage of his tibia/fibula. Recovery time usually depends on the size and extent of the breakage. It may have been a very mild one.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Would you be ok with paying a 1st and a 3rd as compensation to sign Broberg?

It’s obviously still very early in the season but I asked the ? In the offseason. Would you now give up a middling 1st and 3rd in compensation for Broberg?

Kudos to Army for getting both guys but everything about Broberg seems legitimate.

Reactions: Itsnotatrap

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
At this point, the comparison between Broberg and JBo may have been a bit conservative. Broberg appears to be quite a bit more offensively potent. His ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone and deep into the offensive zone commonly generates high percentage plays. He also has an underrated shot from the point that has good accuracy.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It’s obviously still very early in the season but I asked the ? In the offseason. Would you now give up a middling 1st and 3rd in compensation for Broberg?

Kudos to Army for getting both guys but everything about Broberg seems legitimate.

Not our first this year with Thomas missing significant time. We still could be a lottery team and a top 5 pick is worth more than Broberg, even after an incredible small sample size to start the season.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Question, Could Kyrou play center and Thomas, upon return play power forward or would that be a waste of talent?

I'm not sure what you mean on Thomas. Power forward is a style of play, not a position. It's not one he is suited for as skating and vision/passing are his strong suit not physicality.

As for Kyrou at C, it is unlikely. The C has the most defensive responsibility. And that responsibility is a lot less straight forward than for a wing. The C is covering for everyone, and as such is most likely to be caught in the wrong position. Kyrou is improving defensively, but it's a work in progress. No need to add additional D-zone responsibilities on him. It's why we are trying Buch at C, because he is a strong defender at wing.Its why people prefer Schenn at wing because he is not as strong a defender.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian39

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
At this point, the comparison between Broberg and JBo may have been a bit conservative. Broberg appears to be quite a bit more offensively potent. His ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone and deep into the offensive zone commonly generates high percentage plays. He also has an underrated shot from the point that has good accuracy.
He’s certainly better offensively than the JBo we had as a Blue, but I think JBo was better offensively at the same age Broberg is now. He was a force in all three zones early in his career.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Bouwmeester got the benefit of PP time earlier in his career, his 5v5 production was pretty consistent throughout his career, which was never all that impressive.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Let's say that we never offer sheeted him, he hadn't reached a deal with Edmonton, was still an RFA today, but we could magically still have the knowledge we have gained about him so far this season.

I would not offer sheet him for the compensation of our 1st and 3rd round picks. There is no guarantee that our 1st will be 'middling' this year.

We're currently sitting in a wild card spot and have looked pretty rough for a decent chunk of our games. 4 of our 5 wins have required our goalies to post a .925+ SV% AND make 30+ saves. 3 of those were 1 goal wins with no margin for error. Last night's game against the Leafs was the first multi-goal win of the season, with us scoring 4 against the goalie and an empty netter. Had Binner allowed 3 goals, he still would have been .925+ while making 30+ saves. Outside of Hofer's first game against a bad San Jose team, we have needed our goalies to be fantastic for each of our wins (and we have gotten 4 fantastic games out of 8. We have a really good goalie tandem, but it is really far from a guarantee that we're going to keep getting those types of performances in 50% of our games. Anything less than that so far and we wouldn't be sitting in a playoff spot.

Broberg is starting to look like a guy worth trading a mid-late 1st + 3rd for. But we are still very early, development isn't linear and I don't think he's looked so good that I'd trade an unprotected potential lottery pick for him.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Are we relaxing about Neighbours yet?

That kid is fine because his identity drives his game and his identity is pure hockey. The only thing that is weird is that this forum has him in their "prospect" rankings
I agree with you about his importance to the team in terms of his competitive drive and physicality, beyond the stats.

I like to use fixed definitions of who counts as a prospect. It removes some bias comparing across different teams, if a top player has already broken out early. But Neighbors must have played enough games already to remove that tag by HF definitions?

Apitheous

Mar 2, 2014
I'm not sure what you mean on Thomas. Power forward is a style of play, not a position. It's not one he is suited for as skating and vision/passing are his strong suit not physicality.

As for Kyrou at C, it is unlikely. The C has the most defensive responsibility. And that responsibility is a lot less straight forward than for a wing. The C is covering for everyone, and as such is most likely to be caught in the wrong position. Kyrou is improving defensively, but it's a work in progress. No need to add additional D-zone responsibilities on him. It's why we are trying Buch at C, because he is a strong defender at wing.Its why people prefer Schenn at wing because he is not as strong a defender.
Thank you all for your explanations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad